Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking Click for Furuno

Tiara 43 Survey-1st boat in 25 years

Discussion in 'Tiara Yacht' started by wap, Nov 11, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. wap

wap Guest

I am under contract to purchase a 2007 Tiara Souvran 43 and have scheduled sea trials and surveys for the end of November. This boat had a computer glitch from the factory which prevented the engines (twin volvo diesels) from reaching peak RPM. According to the broker the glitch was repaired by Volvo after two turbos were replaced. Anyone heard of this problem? Anything special to look for in the survey or sea trials? Thanks for your help, I am a neophite. WAP
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The Volvo EVC has been a mixed bag for a number of the Engines it is attached to.

I have not so far heard of any problems affecting the D6 caused by the EVC but that does not mean that there are not any.

The D6 Generally is a good lump, if the engines had issues and they were corrected and it runs fine now then that should be as important as what the problem was in the first place.

If the turbos were not working properly and giving the correct boost pressure the EVC will obviously limit the Fuel Delivery which is a pretty essential part of obtaining the correct WOT RPM.

I am currently having two boats built for a client to have as Tenders on a larger yacht both have D6 Power.

I am interested in any problems that other Forum readers and contributors have experienced with these engines so those that have had them please post away.
  3. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

We have a 2008 Tiara 43 Sovran fitted with Volvo D6 EVC diesel engines, 435hp each and IPS-600 drives. The boat now has approx. 200 hours and there were never any engine or turbo problems. The only engine problem we had was that both air pressure sensors on both engines failed and the engines were being derated. Once those sensors were changed the engines were running perfectly again.
  4. CaptEvan

CaptEvan Senior Member

Recall

What TK is referring to is the charge air sensor, or turbo boost sensor. It is a Bosch component and there was a large batch of defective ones covering a huge number of engines. There is a recall program where all sensors within a certain engine SN range should be replaced under warranty. If the engines in that 4300 Sovran fall into that range and have not had this recall service, they are due at no expense to the owner.

PM me if you need help looking up the specific engines.