Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Mulder

Thoughts on this 2002 Jefferson PH?

Discussion in 'Jefferson Yacht' started by roger rey, Jul 19, 2021.

1. roger rey

roger rey New Member

We're curious why not a lot of dialogue out there on Jeffersons. Seems the reviews we've seen have been slightly above median. We're looking at the below boat. Any comments appreciated.

Sozo Yacht for Sale | 57 Jefferson Yachts Seattle, WA
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2021
  2. leeky

leeky Senior Member

Your link doesn't work for me.
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

The link doesn't contain an embedded URL, but it may be a mute point. There isn't much Jefferson information on YF for two reasons; (1) we closed their forum for many years after they threatened litigation for using the word "Starship" in a review I wrote on another boat (as if they have a trademark on the word), and (2) not a lot of Jeffersons in the market because their reputation for being sub-average preceded them.
  4. roger rey

roger rey New Member

Thanks Admin, appreciate the comments. I saw the legal issue when I was reviewing old posts. Unfortunate they chose this path.

Not justifying anything, yet this happens to be a particularly well-kept and high-upgrade Jefferson. Just had the survey conducted last weekend. Minor issues. Just have a nagging feeling about a few things I'm trying to reconcile, in particular the marketplace's opinion on Jeffersons.

Staying open minded, for sure!

Listed by Dennison Yachts in Seattle. 57' Pilothouse. Named: SoZo
  5. RER

RER Senior Member

As I'm sure you know Jefferson is not a top tier boat in terms of marketplace hierarchy. But there's plenty of brokerage activity in Taiwan built motor yachts so I'm not sure what your concern is specifically.

This 57' model was fairly popular in the early 2000's in fact it was probably their best selling model in the USA at that time.

As I said I don't know what nagging concerns you have regarding the Jefferson brand and I don't know what your intended use is for the boat so I can't offer specifics. If your question is will this boat be desirable if you decide to sell in a few years I would say yes. Where will prices be? Who knows.

I will say that it looks like the owner has paid a lot of attention to it since they purchased it in 2017.

I don't know what $$$ your deal is at but the asking price is a tad strong. However in this unprecedented market I don't think that means much to anyone. So it really comes down to the boat fitting your needs and your budget and getting through a survey.
  6. leeky

leeky Senior Member

If anyone wants to "see" the boat roger rey is considering, just google "Sozo Yacht for Sale | 57 Jefferson Yachts Seattle, WA" to see it.
  7. roger rey

roger rey New Member

Thanks RER, appreciate your response. We definitely understand their place in market and have accepted this is generally considered a “value” boat. After really digging into my thoughts a concern is over re-sale in 5 years. That’s our planned hold time until we move to mid-60’s. Today is a really unique time, we’ve all seen that. This boat has about $100k of upgrades over the past 4 years and we are under contract for exactly what it sold for in 2009. We saw that survey from 2 owners ago. Just an interesting data point.
    We currently own an incredible 2010 32’ Pursuit OS315. Due to the bespoke nature of Pursuit, it will actually sell for more than we paid in 2017, and we’ve doubled the hours to 810. So I believe in buying highest quality I can afford to protect the future exit strategy. This has been a bit of my concern. Thanks again everyone!!
  8. smczim

smczim New Member

Just curious, how did things go with Sozo? Everything check out okay?
  9. roger rey

roger rey New Member

Thanks for asking. The survey we conducted while it was in the boatyard went very well. 3 weeks of subsequent work on items identified during previous survey, plus a few additional things, have been addressed. Boat was splashed last Friday and we have sea trials and engine survey scheduled for 8/17. So far things continue to check out very well on the boat.
  10. Rusty Mayes

Rusty Mayes Member

Nice Boat! we just bought our interim boat that will serve its purpose here in the SF bay and delta area for the next five to seven years when theplan will be to move up to the PNW and find something exactly like the Jefferson 57. I hope when that time comes the stars may align and we can talk. I hope the deal closes and you enjoy her. I can not imagine one more toy to add to her.
    Rusty Mayes