Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Glendinning

There is no Global Warming

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Fishtigua, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

So we're all safe, nothing will happen. Tropical Storms are a passing fad.

Anyone else feel safer after this impressive statement from the North?
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

As long as it isn´t global cooling, I feel safe...

(Sweden is still recovering from being covered by 2.000 meter thick ice)
  3. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I would like my house roof to stop hitting my Land Rover roof from 2 miles away.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

There have been periods where Earth was hotter and periods where Earth was cooler.....this has been documented for 1000's of years. It's a cycle......
  5. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Yes but why are they all happening in such close sucession. Is that a clue?
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Last time it was hotter was 56 million years ago. So if we're in a natural cycle I doubt we can reverse it, but can we keep the planet habitable for humans a little longer by not polluting it or cutting down our rain forests (little being another 100 or 1,000 years)? Maybe, but where's the monetary profit in that for those here today? Does extending human life mean more than monetary profit? Does anybody really care about the world we leave our children enough to earn less monetary profit right now? On the up side I'm pretty sure horseshoe crabs and cockroaches will do fine, and wouldn't it be cool to fish for tarpon and marlin in Hudson Bay. Wouldn't the U.S. map look cool if we submerged Florida. Think how much faster we could get from the East coast to the Gulf coast.:rolleyes:
  7. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

I'm with AMG, much better than global cooling. Many boats migrate south in the winter for a reason.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

But think about having only what can be grown in south Florida or the desert climates to eat. Mmmmm good Cactus with sugar cane and lemons.:rolleyes:
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

This is from NASA and is showing ice ages and peaks warmer than today over the last 800.000 years...

temperatures.png
    Kevin likes this.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I really don't think Humans had ANYTHING to do with the temperature -350,000 years ago and it's at about the same high as -125,000 years ago........
  11. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

We should be fine. I stopped using R-12 Freon back in the 80's.
  12. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Worked out ok in Texas and California, lots of farming. What we are talking about are problems caused by global overpopulation, solve that and we are all safe.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I remember using it as a kid for the portable boat air horns. I also remember walking into the auto parts store as a kid and they had those 12 or 16 ounce cans piled up like a pyramid 5' high and on sale for $0.99 a can for R 12........lololoololol
  14. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

We were so busy staring into the northern skies watching the freon motivated ozone hole opening up to kill us all that we completely missed out on the foreseeable dust storm that took out our helicopters in Iran.

Good that we're proper shepherds of our environment. Nothing we do here, however, will help if we think exempting countries on the other side of the world from participating.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, the problem is in Asia. North America has gotten extremely clean in their emissions compared to the past, but China and other countries over there have negated that 3 fold.
  16. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

The debate will probably never end. That said...... 7.6 billion people today, 9.7 by 2050. No matter which way you shake it, that's gonna leave a mark. We ARE affecting the eco system that got us here in the first place, and how much of a difference that will make and if the effects are negative enough whether we will have the control, scientifically and socially, to maintain viability remains to be seen. Of course subject, as mentioned above, to whether we give a crap or not.

"The world is going to hell in a hand basket, and every day new people arrive on the scene that think the party just got started."
  17. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

We could also, as planned by others, pay for the transition program so some do not have to sacrifice.
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Prior to the endangered species act and the EPA has man ever protected its resources before they were used up or extinct, especially when profits were to be made? Our 2016 election was won in large part by promising to burn more coal and cut environmental regulations. Nobody really cares about the world they're leaving for future generations except where they could put a slogan on a T-shirt and sell it. I looked into solar for my home and it would be 20 years before I could potentially see any savings, and of course by that time I'd need a new roof and new solar equipment. Unless we can figure out how to make conservation profitable there's little hope.
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

And who would be willing to pay so others don't have to sacrifice? Where is that person?
  20. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

We have cleaned up our acts, by “we” I mean developed countries. Other like China, Russia, India, And more have become industrialized but don’t give a you-know-what about pollution...

As to climate change it is big business for many whether it s man made or not

people keep bitching about accelerating sea level rise and claim it is caused by man. Funny think is that if you look at water levels recorded by NOAA since 1870 or so, the trend has not changed. Yes ocean levels are slowly rising but it has not accelerated in the last 30 years. The data is there on the NOAA site for all to see. It is just easier to blame clean coal and fracking ...