Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Perko Click to Save Click for Delta

The Wheelhouse Round-Up discussion

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by KCook, Aug 22, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Wow Carl! You really went over the top with that topic! Will take me days to pour through all those images. Many thanks! :) :)

Kelly Cook
  2. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Wonder if the differences in visibility are as pronounced as they would appear to be.
    Great comparison material!
  3. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Hokey, the Northstar 105 gets my vote -

2 bucket Kelly

Attached Files:

4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Good job Carl!

I think this wheelhouse collection is a very good idea which I hope will be followed by Galleys, Engine rooms, Master cabins a o... ;)

At my first browsing through all the bridges, I remember the Lürssen SKAT as being very professional and good looking and the ISA built April Fool as one of the nicest, making a neat use of the new flatscreens, but as with many yachts with angled windscreens they should be positioned further back to avoid reflections.

One of my own designs that I like is enclosed. It has a bridge with 360° view under the truly flying flybridge, with glass that can change from almost black to clear by LCD rasters.

Captain and first mate is sharing a comprehensive setup of monitoring and navigational aids and the joystick controls is on an arm that can swing over to the guy in command. (To avoid confusion of twin controls, this is a very fast waterjet boat). The guests has a revolving dining/observation group behind in an open plan.

Just waiting for reality to catch up... :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  5. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Best bridge.

I'd go for Triton or Skat.
    I wonder if there's anything that I don't like about Skat. :)
  6. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Triton easily wins for theatrical majesty, a real throne room! I would have picked that one myself, expect it has only the single captain's chair. I want two (hence my "two bucket" quip in my earlier post).

Skat is not even close for me. First off, too much depth from the chairs to the windows. Which results in a low sightline. I want to see more sky. Plus this appears to have a central leaning post for the wheel station. Hard to be sure in that photo. But I'm not a fan of leaning posts.

Who me picky? :cool:
    Kelly
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

In the good old days when I was a captain, we had a steering wheel and no chair at all... ;)

This is the Moonen 85.

Attached Files:

8. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Indeed Lars, that Moonen does a really nice job of working all the electronics into a traditional theme. My tastes are somewhere in the middle. I don't need to go quite that traditional. But don't care for the space ship themes either.

Kelly
  9. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Who actually designs the bridges? Is the layout the preference of the capitain or do the designers just do it?
  10. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

As with engine rooms, it varies a lot. Owner, captain and project manager are all involved in selecting equipment and positioning it after their individual experience. The designer use to make the packaging or the design concept of the bridge and today when many work in 3D it is helping to get the ergonomics right.

The electronics are often left to the end of the construction period to ensure the latest models are installed. Since the development is going fast, we have to be on top of what is going on and what is feasible for the yacht in question. The analogue instruments are today only available in the engine room or in an adjacent room while the bridge have digital alarm and monitoring systems.

If you like you can have one big flat-screen for almost everything, but it is of course safer and more practical to divide it into several. The yachts TV-system often have extra channels so anyone can monitor what is going on from anywhere.

Then you have the communication and entertainment systems...:)
  11. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Lars, I can understand leaving the selection of the equipment to the last moment. But who usually gets credit for the general layout of the bridge as a living/working space? Exterior designer? Interior designer? Naval architect? Project manager?

Somebody has to ask the dumb questions :D
    Kelly
  12. MYGull

MYGull New Member

Skat

My vote is for Skat, I love the ajustable helm chairs.
  13. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

It still varies from yacht to yacht. When making the conceptual design, a good designer, one of the handful that exists ;), will make an initial proposal to the owner that corresponds with the general brief. As an example I enclose a pretty nice bridge from a 46 m design I made in 1992. This is an airy, split level wheelhouse with an observation area together with the communication and navigation station on the raised part.

Forward, a feet lower, is the steering positions where no guests should be allowed when underway, at least not when other boats are near. Access to the wing stations is through the practically angled doors.

With this as a base, the owner and captain can discuss if it will accommodate the needs for technical installations and if so, the wiring will be prepared for power supply, antennas, low volt signal cables and optic fibres, initially just as pipes to the right spots. Later the same designer or a special interior designer is taking care of how the different pieces should be framed and usually the bridge get the same materials and colours as the yachts basic interior.

So in best case, there will be one designer taking credit of getting it all together in a nice and purposeful way. Same as with galleys, engine rooms and the general accommodation. But as we have seen many times in the past, the bridges are often neglected, small and not really nice with just the raised sofa where nobody would like to sit and where the watch-keeper of course is forbidden to sleep... ;)

Attached Files:

14. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Thank you very much for the thoughful reply Lars :)
  15. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

:eek:
    maybe the name...
  16. hlbeckley

hlbeckley New Member

Azimut 68s Open

One of my favourites, though a relatively small yacht. Cant find a pic now, only have the brochure at home. Maybe one of you have a pic.
  17. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

:D Perhaps irreverant.. the word skat has many meanings in many places. One usage is as a euphemism for wild animal excrement when tracking in the bush. I used to get tiger skat from the local zoo and use it in the hedges. Very effective at keeping loose domestic cats from coming on the property and making a mess. :D
  18. KCook

KCook Senior Member

For bonus points for MOST COLORFUL we would need a runoff between Christensen and Sunseeker :cool:

Attached Files:

19. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

i go for the christensen; i could live in that wheelhouse; in fact, i'm gonna rebuild my livingroom like that!
  20. KCook

KCook Senior Member

The marble counter top for the helm is pretty much over the top! :D :D