Click for Comfort Click for MotorCheck Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Mulder

The smallest boats with a standing-height engine room?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Amicus curiae, Sep 6, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Liam

Liam Senior Member

I had a Gobbi 27 Sport (30 feet over all 10 feet wide) from 94 till 2008, and the boat had standing engine room with sun pad closed. Full walk around the engines, only you had to sit low to port side.
    Interesting for its size, the boat had rather large Volvo41s 200hp with stern drives. I think that boat had one of the best technical layouts I ever saw.
    Separate boiler box (to stbd), separate battery box (to port), both molded in fiberglass. Separate fuel tank in between the cabin and ER, which you could easily remove (remove hatch floor with six screws and you take it out).
    Infact once I did remove it and clean it.
    Also very seaworthy, for example I did Messina to Porto Rosa (over 30 nm) in 1.5 to 2 meter waves to the nose at 20 knots with no slamming.
  2. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

The very reason I keep coming back to the Hatts...... I'm planning to do my own maintenance to a very large extent and accessibility is paramount. Ask me about my rear engine, rear radiator motor home.....:mad:
  3. gsholz

gsholz New Member

In terms of engine room space, check out the Grand Banks 52 Europa. I'm 6'4" and can stand up in the engine room next to the engines and generator. Lots of space. Getting to the engine room is not quite walk-in though. There is a ladder from the saloon or you can get to it from the lazarette but that requires bending over quite a bit. Engine room access was one of the primary reasons for us to go with the GB52 Europa.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Well, that is the rub. On these size boats, you still have to bend over to work on everything because most things are not mounted on the wall at waist level.
  5. captaintilt

captaintilt Senior Member

Have a look at a Sunseeker 52' Manhattan(Newer model years). Surprising amount of space in the Engine Room. I'm 5'10" and have all kinds of room above my head and can essentially walk around both engines with ease, as well as get to the Seakeeper and GenSet. There is a small walkway through a bulkhead to get to the running gear, but rarely have to go in there.
  6. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Both the 48' and 53' Ocean Yachts MY have stand up/walk in engine rooms. 1988/1991 or so..
  7. fred krapf

fred krapf New Member

48 ,56,53 Ocean Motor Yachts. Great layout and....they are affordable.
  8. Dawdler

Dawdler New Member

Grand Banks 49 classic
  9. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

+1, I really like the layout on those boats.
  10. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I think the OP's question also revolves around whether the engine is covered by hatch covers or is a walk in ER. My 33 Egg had engine hatches in the salon and I could get anywhere on those engines. Presently I have a walk in ER with about 5 feet of head room. I find it very comfortable. I have a thick knee cushion and a tool chest seat down there and they allow me to work in corfort -seated or kneeling. What's equally important to me is being able to get to the outboard side of the engines. My generator is located squarely at the head of and between both engines. It eliminates easy acess for an ole' cuss like me. 10 years ago it was fine, I could squeeze thru the space between engine and genny. Recently, I've thought about designing some sort of a genny mount which would allow me to laterally travese the genny one foot either way but could be locked down in place when access is not needed.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  11. Conn Yankee

Conn Yankee New Member

Definitely Kadey-Krogen 39 - possibly the best "couples boat" ever built.