Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights Click for Glendinning

The right Roamer...?

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by royston009, Oct 29, 2005.

1. royston009

royston009 New Member

Hi, I am new to this site and am looking for a little direction. (Sorry about the length of this post in advance). I own a small tour business in the Caribbean and am in the process of developing a small boutique hotel, for which I have been looking for the right boat to serve as private ferry for my guests. I looked at classic wooden commuter yachts for a while but maintenence issues in the islands make them impractical. However "I" discovered the Roamers and have been on a single minded mission ever since.
    I am not looking to make alterations that will denegrate the integrity of these classic boats but I do need to make some changes to accomodate seating.
    So far I realy like the 38' offshore model and have found 3 for sale but they need to be repowered with diesels.
    I would like to retain the classic motoryacht/commuter cruiser appeal and keep it as original as possible, as it fits with the image of the hotel. The interior (not the v berth) needs to be rconfigured for seating up 15-18 people and the rear deck (except the 38 offshore) I would like to add either a double sided center bench, seating for 10, 5 each side, or a wrap around bench (nicely designed and upholstered to match the boat) for seating 10-12.
    Which Roamer is the right one? Looking for a little direction or insight as to which model or size etc would best accomodate my needs?
  2. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Caribbean Roamers

Good choice and welcome to our little club!
    A 38' Offshore is certainly a good choice - especially refitted with diesels.
    It has that classic look - similar to many commuter type yachts of the 30s.
    What kind of waters are you planning on sailing in.
    A steel hull will give you a nice "solid" ride, if not a bit wet, as you plow comfortably through seas that would make modern boats pound and bob.
    Be prepared for replating if hull has been neglected. Proper maintenance (as always) will save you down the road. In salt, I highly (highly) recommend stripping bottom and applying cold tar or INterlux 2000E Epoxy (see Technical Forum for articles on these critical issues: http://www.geocities.com/alloyed2sea/TechnicalForum.html). ANyway, have included photos of the coolest CC water taxi I've ever seen - a wooden 1953 Constellation 38' - majorly customized for the job.
    Cheers!
    Eric

Attached Files: