Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Furuno Click for Westport

The Radical NEW Marco Polo!

Discussion in 'Fincantieri Yacht' started by YachtForums, Feb 21, 2006.

1. dbart9

dbart9 Member

I think Captain Nemo had a little chat with Syd Mead or Geiger! Interesting...I like it just for the fact that it's so different, but I am also a huge Pelorus fan and I thought that was different. The interior renderings are beautiful. Nice 3-d modeling and excellent use of materials. Yeah, have fun washing those windows outside...
  2. catmando

catmando Senior Member

I noticed that myself. And if all that rear glass is kept for production it better be REAL dark, especially from the 10:00 to the 4:00 positions.
  3. foundrycourt

foundrycourt New Member

Exterior not really to my taste, but certainly different. Interior though, is very elegant.
  4. Crewagency

Crewagency Guest

Windows with Lotus Effect

What does the term Lotus-Effect® stand for?

The self-cleaning of super-hydrophobic micro-to nano-structured surfaces was observed to be a property of some plants –among them nasturtiums (Tropaeolum sp.)- in 1975. The discoverer, Wilhelm Barthlott (then at the University of Heidelberg), furthermore, elucidated the phenomenon. Only at the beginning of the 1990s was it possible for W. Barthlott (now at the University of Bonn), and his collaborator Christoph Neinhuis (later Zdenek Cerman and others) to harness this physico-chemical phenomenon technically. W. Barthlott coined the trade-name Lotus-Effect® for the patented self-cleaning super-hydrophobic micro –to nano-structured products and copyrighted it in 1997.

Maybe this is the solution for all he window cleaners here :D
  5. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Yep! Exactly what I was going to say.
  6. christo303

christo303 Senior Member

Marco Polo

The project 236 by Benetti-Fincantieri was revealed for the first time during the last Monaco Yacht Show, september 2005.

Different design.

Problem is that the aft part of the superstructure, that glass dome, makes it look like a bug... The association with a giant cockroach has already surfaced.
  7. foundrycourt

foundrycourt New Member

When I first saw the picture the first thing that came to my mind was that of a snail shell.
  8. GeminiRat

GeminiRat New Member

Unique to say the least.

My first impression when I saw the rendering of the new Marco Polo was that someone had been watching to many episodes of "Star Trek" on television. Because the yacht reminds me of a Shuttle from one of the most recent incarnations of the "Star Trek Series". [​IMG]

I haven't made up my mind yet whether or not I like this new style. Looking back a few years at yachts that were once well ahead of their time they are now the norm. Who's to say what new style will take root and become the next industry norm.
  9. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Not boring! Hope that it gets built.

dbart9, funny, I thought of H.R.Giger when looking at the first images.:)
  10. Heather_Rae

Heather_Rae New Member

Hmmmm

While it certainly is "different," I don't think it is different in a good way. While I'm sure that the view from those aft windows is stunning, that is as far as my praise would go on this one. The outside just looks like a mish-mash of design concepts. The architecht must have just been doing some architectural masturbation...lol. What is wrong with boats looking like boats? I guess I get sort of romantic about yachts. Give me lots of teak and a beautifully shaped hull with plenty of decks to enjoy the sunset and the sound of the spraying water. This looks like a *******ization of something out of Star Wars.