Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service

The Pros and Cons of flybridges

Discussion in 'Perini Navi Yacht' started by Yacht News, Jul 29, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

What are the Pros and Cons of Flybridges?..For me a pro would be it certainly adds to the lines and the easthtics of the yacht and also great field of vision for the person in command. Hey, what about the cons? I can think of some perinis that do not have the characteristic 'fly bridge.' s/y Squall, both S/y Heritage. I personally think perinis look terrible with out a flybridge...may be i might give squal a break though...Anyhow, what are you guys thoughts?
  2. KCook

KCook Senior Member

In smaller size yachts a case can be made that a flybridge brings a modest performance hit. Of course this is only a consideration for a fast yacht, not a trawler! For large yachts I would say flybridge or no is mostly a style choice. I expect there are some who would consider the flybridge an old-fashioned look. But I would certainly prefer a flybridge myself. When running "indoors" I am more prone to motion sickness.

Kelly Cook
  3. Yacht News

Flybridges on sail yachts these days seem almost to be the must have or 'standard' feature. Not just Perinis but throughout most of the other brands, the new yachts all have this feature. I'm not so sure it is just a style thing. It is very functional to steer and navigate from up there, there view would be better and it offers extra room for guests to relax and enjoy the ride underway or anchor.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Mixed review. On the types of boats I run a flybridge gives good vissbility while docking and for reading waves in rough seas or when looking for shallows. It also gives an open feel which is enjoyable on nice days, frees up more space down below, and simply looks good and sporty. However, I hate an open flybridge. The constant 15kt to 30kt to 50kt (combined) wind in the face is like torture, especially in less than ideal weather. In rough seas, especially quartering seas I hate the feel on a flybridge. The lower you are, the less sway you feel. I also enjoy the climate control inside, not to mention less exposure to the sun.
    My ideal boat has both upper and lower stations, but that's also the most expensive. If I had to choose between the two I'd probably pick a lower station.
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Please keep this discussion to sailing yachts as it started...
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

My apologies. Did not realize.
  7. Yacht News

Something you said there NYCAP, remember alot of the flybridge designs (sail yachts) come with either a deployable bimini or semi-permanent/permanent bimini. So you are not necessarily in the sun, at least when it is overhead.

Look at Perini's latest, "Clan VIII" vs Alloy's "Mondango", both flybridge yachts from two different companies. You can see the Perini has the bimini installed from at the yard, the Alloy, doesn't seem to have one, at least in the picture.

On a side not other sailyacht builders like Fitzroy seem to keep their sailing stations aft, so hardly any flybridge designs there. Their new 50-meter will have a flybridge though If I remember correctly.

Attached Files:

8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Absolutely. But owners spend precious little time at the helm. So when they do they enjoy the exposure to sun and wind. Of course my perspective is of one who spends a lot of time at the helm. On smaller sail yachts it's all about reducing drag, but on ones like you show here I shouldn't think it would be too much of a factor. However, I can't say I like the lines of most sail yachts with a bimini. Just my personal taste.
  9. Milow232

Milow232 Guest

I think you can not say the pros and cons it depands on what you need.. performance sailing yachts for regattas without flys, classic schoner or flybridge sailings yachts for relaxed crusing (beside exceptions).

Mhm a trend for fly sailing yachts.. I do not know ..there will always be many owners who order other sailing yachts.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The flybridge is definately going to add a considerable amount of interior space and is usually the salon underneath it that benefits.
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I think all the Perinis have inside steering as well.
  12. Yacht News

Yes most of them if not all have the indoor bridge/wheelhouse. I'm sure alot of the steering is done from the flybridge especially in racing, close quarter navigation, harbours etc.
  13. Yacht News

The flybridge is definitely an asset. It automatically adds more space to the yacht and utilizes the roof of the saloon alot better than if it was just a roof. The Fitzroy boats generally don't seem to have the flybridge yet their saloons are pretty spacious.

The Vitters yachts hardly have the flybridge, only "Nirvana" jumps out at me. Does this make them any less or more versatile than say the Perinis?
  14. Yacht News

As for sail yachts being built and designed at the current moment, it seems there is no doubt that the fly-bridge is in demand. Even the smaller sailboard manufacturers are having them on their flagship models. It's almost like you can't get away from it. A recent build in the last few years, "Zefira" by Fitzroy, doesn't have a flybridge, she is controlled at twin nav/sail stations aft of the superstructure but mainly most boats have a fly whether for better navigation or for added space for owners and guests.