Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger

The Latest From Lars!

Discussion in 'Yacht Renderings & Plans' started by YachtForums, Mar 2, 2005.

1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Based on the original TRY Cat 160, this is the latest from Lars... the new 120'.

Another stunner! :)

Attached Files:

2. JonS

JonS Senior Member

Nice Lars. You've done a lot of designs that have a lot of potential.

Just a quick question though, from one designer to another... what programs do you use for your designs, and are they 2d or 3d as well?

Thanks,

Jon
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi Jon, and thank you. At least I am trying to make designs that are realistic to build. The program is Freehand, a drawing program that works with vectorized postscript. Easy to use and good enough for both interiors and the kind of renderings I do. To make it 3D is possible, but for CAM it has to be translated.

I have used it since the 80:s and it has since long replaced pen and paper for me. I can also use it for making ads and web applications so I will continue to use it and leave the special yacht design programs that exists, to those who like to go all the way via wireframe drawings to CNC or plasma cutting in one go.

Can you tell what the schools are recommending today and what you are using?

/Lars

PS. This cream colored boat is just a tweaked version of the original 160´with the red hull, and to make the 120´ I have not added a single line, just altered positions and removed some pieces. Otherwise they are all based on the same drawing....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  4. JonS

JonS Senior Member

I have heard of Freehand but never seen it or used it, maybe i'll give it a try.

I use AutoCAD and Mechanical Desktop a lot for the technical side of the design. As well as programs such as MaxSurf for hull design.

For presentation we use a program called Alias Studiotools. It is a VERY powerful 3D drawing tool, operating with 4 views at once - Top, Side, Front and Perspective views. This program is great, but the down side is, it is reported to cost approximately £30k, yep £30,000 per seat in industry! Thank goodness for student deals!!!

Other programs that are good for 3D design are Rhino and 3DS Max, but i dont really use those.

Will give Freehand a try me thinks :D Is it Macromedia Freehand?
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes it is Macromedia, but basically the same as Illustrator, Canvas and Coral draw. They are also compatible with Photoshop and other EPS-programs.

I have tried Microstation, MaxSurf, Vellum and Silicon Graphics 3D programs, but they all gives me a headache and I go back to my old Freehand which is like I said, just a replacement for pen and paper... :)

/Lars

(Here you see the lines of the above drawing without colours, the cat in 3D is simply two profiles on top of each other with some patchwork...)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  6. JonS

JonS Senior Member

Thanks for the info Lars. Will look into getting FreeHand to give it a try.

I'm intending on designing a superyacht in my spare time (which is not much!) for my portfolio only.

My final year uni project is a 37 foot crusing coupe for the med. Am getting some good feedback from my tutor so hopefully it will look good in the end. I dont want to post any images of it at the mo, but we'll see once the project is finished in May.