Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click to Save

The iPhone...

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by YachtForums, Jun 29, 2007.

1. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I have had to order a 16 Gb iPhone 3G. I should have it within two weeks the good people at T Mobile told me.

On the above MAC/PC Waffle.

I own and have used machines with both OS's.

I am involved in an almost totally Windows environment, and do not really want to change if I don't have to. Vista on the other hand makes me want to look at something else and in the short term I have built a machine and have installed UBUNTU.

I say short term because if I cannot get this machine to print and scan today it or at least the HDD ( I stuck this in a removable HDD Bay) will be going out the window- I would throw the whole PC but the window doesn't open far enough even though maintenance have looked at it twice recently!!!
  2. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Must be the same engineering staff who are working on Vista issues.
  3. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Has anyone tried the GPS Map application in a vehicle?
  4. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Actually Codger, I have seen a picture with an Iphone displaying a GPS map readout that was fastened to the windshield by two suction cups. I do not know if it was photoshopped to advertise possibilities of the 3G I phone or what but it was cool looking.
  5. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

I may have been looking at the same picture. :)
    For the price, if the iPhone works as well as my Garmin for that function it would be worth having.
  6. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

The reviews I've read and watched of the iPhone GPS all say it's not a replacement for a dedicated nav-system/GPS. It'll work in a pinch, but doesn't offer "turn by turn" voice directions, and occasionally doesn't update quite fast enough to keep up with automobile speeds.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

"occasionally doesn't update quite fast enough to keep up with automobile speeds."

Well that could make things interesting coming off the Cross Bronx Expwy.:confused: Also, what happens when this is stuck on your windshield as you come near your turn (which is among several in close proximity) and a call comes in?
    So let's see, you get e-mails that will be waiting for you in the office or at home anyway where you won't strain your eyes to see them. You can pull up trivia from the internet that really has no effect on your lives other than to strain your eyes trying to read it. The GPS may get you lost or worse. You can listen to tunes in a tone that's not even CD quality. It enables you to look rude and pompous to the people you're with. Well, on the up side it makes a great cheat sheet for students so now they can learn even less. Sorry AT&T, not impressed.:(
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

If you are impressed with a Garmin then try a Tom Tom. I have used Garmin ( mostly in Hertz Rentals, Audi- 3 different versions, New Mercedes( 10/2007), New VW(Now) and 2 x Top Line Navman. I think the Tom Tom beats them all hands down with map quality, number of little places it can find, clear voice and the all important "safety" camera database subscription.
  9. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Personally, I didn't really intend on using the iPhone GPS as my primary nav unit. It's nice to have, and can be useful when I'm not in my own car or when I travel and don't feel carrying yet another device with me. But for my own ride, I'm getting a proper in-car navigation system when the one I want is actually available. Until then I can get along just fine with a Google Maps print-out. It's worked for me so far. ;)

Basically, the iPhone seems to be a jack of all trades but possibly a master of none. On the flip-side, it means carrying just one device around all day instead of three or four.

That's enough for me to have purchased one.

Oh, and the fact that buying it cost me $0 and actually netted me a $30 credit when all was said and done.
  10. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

That's pretty harsh! :eek:
    I'll bet you were looking down your nose at the people who sending and receiving email years ago too.;)
  11. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Here's the articles detailing how the iPhone GPS works.

LINK

Not perfect, lacks certain satnav features, but still gets the job done.
  12. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Kevin
    Thanks for that link. Looks like the iPhone is not the answer to my specific requirements.

The Garmin Zumo 550 has been the best for me so far. Have not had a failure so far with that model. Using these little devices on various vehicles including bikes along with my less than gentle handling usually results in a fairly short product lifespan.:)

NYCAP123. Perhaps I shared, and to a point still do, some of your misgivings about all these little devices. If used properly as tools, they allow one to get out of the office, or even better, take the office with you. However, the almost Pavlovian twitching that can be seen in a crowd when a cellphone rings is sad. As with any other piece of technology you can use it or be used by it. There is an OFF switch that ought to be used more often.
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Aint' that a quote to be repeated
  14. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I just saw an update about the latest version of the iPhone software... 2.1 (currently in beta) is going to make improvements to the GPS part of the phone, so now it will also show direction & speed, as well as current location. Therefore, it's pretty likely that turn-by-turn navigation is coming soon as well, perhaps through a third-party developer via the AppStore.
  15. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

I was thinking about Carl, Lars, and the rest of all you hotrodders out there when I came across this IPOD thingie on a P-car site:

http://dynolicious.com/index.html

Tells your 0-60, your 1/4 mile, lateral Gs, horsepower, and guesses what you ate last night (kidding).
  16. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks Loren, just what I needed as I can not remember how fast my cars are...:rolleyes:

No, I am still not ready for an iPhone. But I would like to have most of it built in to a large trackpad on my next MacBook Pro..!

It would also be so much easier to have submenus there than at the main screen, combined with multi-touch.

Remember, all my designs are made just on the built in trackpad...
  17. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Sweet!

Just two days ago my dad and I were talking about how using the accelerometer in the iPhone could do much the same stuff the G-Tech Pro does, and possibly more. Most decent race car telemetry systems can do performance models and readouts of entire tracks, collating all the data to plot track layout, speeds, shift points, etc. I'm guessing with the right programming the iPhone can do a fair bit of that.
  18. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Apple's ads stating "Twice the speed. Half the price." are a good example of Truth in Advertising. It is nothing more, nothing less. The weakest link with the iPhone is not the phone, but AT&T's 3G service. It's not that fast. Page loads are NOWHERE near broadband speed, not even Wi-Fi. But, they are MUCH better than AT&T's Edge network. For me, the cost of the phone or cracking the monthly nut is a non-issue... it's about freedom. Page loads are fast enough to use the phone for hand held access to YF. That's big in my book. ;)
  19. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

When is the new and improved, latest and greatest due out. My guess is November. That's only 3 or 4 months away. As long as they last till then it's cool right. You'll all be standing on line overnight for the new one then and this one will be garbage so the cracks don't matter.:rolleyes: