Click for Cross Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander

The iPhone...

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by YachtForums, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

......:D
  2. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

I went Mac about a year and a half ago and hardly ever fire up my XP box anymore. I shudder to think the number of times I had to wipe systems and reinstall everything.

Not to be a Mac fanboy or anything, but it actually did make my life a lot simpler... except finding HP printer and scanner drivers, but that's another story for another day. :rolleyes:
  3. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

[​IMG]
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Used to be a total ludite until dell gave me a 150 hour tech support and 15 hour in home tech support course:mad: and 200 e-mail & letter tech & customer support course. (2) wireless laptops & printers later am real happy now with HP. Heard Mac is the way to go though, just waiting for more to get involved. As for the i-phone:p wait on line for one:p :p Don't need it, don't want it, have better things to do with my money (like pay for gas).:cool:
  5. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Propbet... I beat ya' to that by a few hours. ;)
  6. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Could as well been days...Kevin.

Anyways, I read that there were or has been serious challenges in the activation processes for the Iphones. No unboxing but set-up woes.
  7. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Nuts!
    I read Carl's thread and hit reply without following the other replies.

My apologies. (grinning with a BlackBerry in my pocket)
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, I think you must have the latest version of iTunes and it has also been hard to connect with Apple servers when all new customers lined up. But it seems to work better now.
  9. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Just downloaded 2.0 for my iPhone. Like others, I was hoping for a landscape keyboard and a cut & paste feature, but it wasn't included in the update. Here's an exert from this morning's C/Net review of the new 3G...

10. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Well, I'll et you all know what I think in a week or so. Standing in line at 8am yesterday wasn't an option for me, so like any normal person with a job/life, etc I ordered one from my provider and it'll be shipped to me via courrier before the end of next week.

The one detail I'm still sketchy about... I know it can view Excel files, but can it modeify and save them? I use an Excel sheet to keep track of certain expenditures on my PDA, so losing that functionality would be a bit of a pain.
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I just had a call from a friend who got one of the first here. He was very impressed with all menus, instant web, zoom and scroll and also the GPS. So he was happy. At least until i told him his voice got a metallic tone, like if I was talking to somebody with a 100 year old telephone....:D
  12. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Ah, AMG, a cruel man, but fair. :D
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

If it's not needed for business only a fool or a stockholder throws extra money at the phone company. To hear of "adults" standing on line overnight and paying silly prices so they can be the first ones with the latest toy which will be obsolete in a couple of months anyway just seems rediculous. Whenever I see somebody with one I respect them a little less. Plus this:) comes out as J so how advanced are they anyway. :D
  14. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

AMAZING ... even with all the activation problems, ATT/Apple was able to sell 1 million iPhones in 3 days!
    :)
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

P.T. Barnum is smiling.
  16. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Enjoy. Use OSX for the day to day. Windows through Parallels if you need it for access to some VPNs that use Active X, MSCoffeeGrounds or other nonsense.
    I still have one Power PC PowerBook with 6 OSs on it that I keep around just for the access capabilities and some custom stuff developed under OS9. Whatdayameanyacan'trunUNICOSonalaptop.:D
  17. YachtForums

That's too much geek speak for a Codger! Beginning to think the gent in charge of YF's Wisdom Dept. is a product of the digital generation. :D

Last week, I came close to kicking my PC to the curb and letting Apple take a bite out of my wallet. I encountered a bug in MS Office 2007 when upgrading from 2003. It set me back a couple of days, but I'm operational again.

Not sure why I'm still a Mac hold-out. Stubborn? Fixed in my ways? $30k in PC software? Yep, that's gotta be it.
  18. Castlerock

Castlerock Senior Member

Poor Carl, heavily invested in flawed technology. I have the necessary XP running on the Parallels for some proprietary accounting software. Other than that it has been Apple all the way since my first computer, the Apple II plus using the TV as a monitor.

I wonder if I still have a copy of Lemonade Stand on cassette?

BTW, I have had the iPhone since the launch last year and I don't know how I ever managed without it. Seamless sync with my system and no complaints. The only things I have added were the Agent 18 crash cover, highly recommended, and a Plantronics Bluetooth 510 ear piece, also highly recommended.

I upgraded to 2.0 on Friday and I have tried the AIM and it seems to work well. No complaints so far with the new OS and no plan to upgrade the phone as of yet.
  19. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Too much from an old guy.

Nyet. The day that I stop sticking my Cyrano like shnozz in to anything and everything that is around me is the day that I'll know who my best friend is. He'll be the one with something that goes bang up the side of my head.

I had to learn Fortran and Pascal way back just to get the stuff done that I knew could be done. Was hugely entertaining for the youngsters in class when I took a couple of courses.

Computers can be amazing tools. Some are better at some things than at others. Being able to flip back and forth from Windows to Mac OS on the same laptop covers most of the bases.

Wish I'd taken a photo of one of the IT guys a couple of days after I'd said that I was considering duplicating the systems at the office and putting them aboard a boat. Bermuda shorts and an inflatable pool toy around the waist of someone that may have seen daylight for a few moments in 1975 is .. Well, on second thought I'm happy that the photo doesn't exist.
  20. YachtForums

I'm beginning to look like the PC guy in the Mac commercial. :eek: