Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder

The Holy Combustion Engine Grail?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by YachtForums, Dec 13, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I did a quick internet search for more info on the following press release, but nothing turned up. Does anyone know anything about this...?

Ocean Technologies Buys Marine Technology

Boating Industry
    Friday December 10, 2004

POMPANO BEACH, Fla. Ocean Technologies has purchased the marine division
    technology of Cyclone Technologies, gaining worldwide rights to produce a
    marine engine that can burn almost any liquid fuel, including kerosene, gas,
    alcohol and diesel and even mixed fuels, and eventually will be able to run
    on hydrogen, Cyclone said in a release today.

The Cyclone Marine engine is an external combustion engine producing minimal
    emissions and able to meet all clean air regulations. The engine delivers 3
    hp per-cubic-inch and uses no oil. Its internal lubricant is the same as the
    working fluid clean water, according to Cyclone.

This engine has no transmission, is self-starting with no throttle valves
    and can develop full torque at starting. It is capable of powering craft
    ranging from small boats to large yachts, and is available in 18 hp to 2,000
    hp, Cyclone said.

Prototypes of the engine are currently running, with production models to be
    available in the near future, according to the company.
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Sounds like a Sterling engine running on GEET... :confused:
  3. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS New Member

What is the use?

Such engines are far from new - they are in use at the military which cannot rely in war conditions on regular supplies.

Second to that, they do not comply with environmental standards, Bodensee, EPA to mention a few, and any attempt in this direction is waisted time and money.

The end of the hydrocarbon era is in view. The answer is - or should be - to increase efforts in the direction of Hydrogen fuelled engines and the fuelcell technology.

For the Supermega's only a miniature nuclear powerplant will suffice. Requires a bit of technical staff, but the advantages are numerous.
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

So, can you tell the rest of us what the Cyclone engine is??
  5. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS New Member

Most probably: it's a hoax.

I did as you did. Ran a check on the internet - no related topics in range and suddenly I came on a site of Ocean Technology or gies; three student names to it.
    No info, and way, way down a photo of a mantelpiece.
    Next to that: have you found any "Cyclone Marine Engines" on the net?" I could not trace it.
    I tried to find it back, Ocean Technology, but couldn't.

Cyclone's original brandname belongs to Pratt & Whitney and they belong to GE via Textron-United Technologies. I can hardly believe that GE is selling their interests in such an engine to a rather diffuse company.

In any case, if such an engine exists, I know it tomorrow. Mr Keith Henderson of Jane's is sitting next door to me, he is the editor of Jane's Propulsion Reference Handbook.
    Will let you know.

Nevertheless, I reacted a bit too fast, I thought the thread was a reference to a military based engine. Sorry for that.
  6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

It really would be interesting to find out. There are miracle engines proposed from time to time, I remember when I was living in Monaco there were some guys trying to sell the concept of an engine producing more energy than it consumed. The plans was to have the first setup in Monaco as a powerplant for the whole town!
    I saw pictures of something they said was a running prototype and they were seeking investors by blowing the whole thing to gigantic proportions. But suddenly the whole hype was over and I don´t know if it was a scam or just ignorance behind.
  7. BarryClay

BarryClay New Member

If anyone is interested, there is an engine developer for aircraft, using a waveplate instead of a camshaft. More efficient and more importantly very low vibration more hp etc. basically looks like a pill in construction (rounded on ends/oblong etc) with pistons moving along the long acccess instead of perpendicular. FYI..
    :cool:
  8. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

9. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS New Member

Well, I found out that neither Cyclone Marine, neither Ocean Technologies do exist in
    connection with this oilless and transmissionless engine.
    This - according to the author and editor of Jane's Propulsion and Engines Reference Handbook, Mr Keith Henderson,- well known to many of us, I believe.

Although the day that the supply of oil arrests might be still far ahead, -buried in future-, it might be a good idea to have a second thought at the powerconcept as a whole.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  10. Neraida

Neraida New Member

Check out http://www.mcmastermotor.com/concept.htm. This is very interesting.
  11. TRY

TRY Senior Member

AIR!

We have one running on air, an engine that is!
    Flat four, 12HP, runs in a car, a genset, an indoor tractor.
    Weight is 40 kgs approx (no cooling, very little oil)
    A flat ten or twelve is in the making, 200HP.
    This one would have marine applications.
    Exhaust is pure air and ice-cold, which means free aircon.
    This is reality, no wishfull thinking.
  12. Neraida

Neraida New Member

Please provide some information about this.
  13. TRY

TRY Senior Member

Great!

Have EURO 12M?
    Please reply private
    Licence arrangements are still available for some areas.
  14. AvMar

AvMar New Member

Cyclone Technologies

If you go to the web site for cyclonepower.com you can see that this powerplant does indeed exist and does work. It runs on virtually any combustable fuel and I have seen it operate on two occassions. It is one of those things that we all wish that we had dreamed up as the basic systems make too much sense.

Lets see if this one will really make it. It does work
  15. Neraida

Neraida New Member

Not at this point. Maybe in the future. I just started my current company, and I will see how it plays out. I am just really interested in new technologies. Can you provide any information about this?
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  16. Captained

Captained New Member

Snake oil

Anytime I read about new technology that claims to get 100 miles per gallon by adding some snake oil to the crankcase. or impossible performance, I get immediately suspect. With Fuel prices going up I suspect a lot more of these claims will surface. Like the president said” I’m from Missouri.”
  17. TRY

TRY Senior Member

Air engine

First of all: it runs! No computer model, no wishfull thinking, a running engine on compressed air!
    Now: go to www.mdi.lu our holding company website.
    Further questions: to me.
    Have fun