Click for Westport Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service

the BIG review of Anastasia

Discussion in 'Oceanco Yacht' started by brunick, Jul 21, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. brunick

brunick Senior Member

wow guys, you've outdone yourself another time :D

that review is amazing, i was a bit surprised to see a review of her, but it's fantastic - there's just one thing that is a bit weird:
    "And oh, yes; her swim platform doubles as a touch-and-go helipad."

how should a heli land there!? i mean, radio controlled model maybe, but a 30feet wide helicopter?? no way!
  2. rocdiver

rocdiver Senior Member

The review states that it is for Carl and his r/c fleet :cool:
  3. brunick

brunick Senior Member

*hm* i guess there was an edit lately :D
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Hi Jannick,

Thanks for the kudos!

The swim platform / helipad reference was my mistake. When we wrote the review about 8 weeks ago, I put the editorial on hold to work on some other projects. My schedule has been hectic because I've been traveling to some yards in between YF work.

When I returned to finish the editorial this week, I forgot about the caption under the water toy image, where I suggested the swim platform was a good helipad too. Of course, seen through the eyes of an r/c heli junkie, the highest and best use of the platform is for airborne operations, not sub-surface. ;)

Sorry 'bout that!
  5. brunick

brunick Senior Member

:D - yaa my thoughts were going around that point also ;)
  6. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Yep I also loved the "Anastasia" review especially since she is one of my favourite newer yachts. Great review Carl and Chuck!
  7. revdcs

revdcs Senior Member

Hear, hear!
    This is an excellent review, far superior to a certain magazine’s much vaunted but rather lacklustre attempt at the same.

I would also like to voice my appreciation to Anastasia’s owner for allowing Carl and Chuck aboard. There are now so many magazines and forums dedicated to the rich and famous, that most people believe that they have a right to intrude into other’s lives and to nose around their private possessions. On the contrary, it is a privilege for us to be allowed such access and I would like to thank her owner for allowing us to share both his passion and the work of art that is ‘Anastasia’.
  8. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

I love the Design of Anastasia, since I saw the model on a photo, which was posted on YF.

Now to see that yacht with this review is very great an take the sun on above the german rainy sky. Many thanks to Carl and Chuck :cool:
  9. Lionel D

Lionel D New Member

I have a question that will probably demonstrate my lack of knowledge in yachting, but...
    What is the horisontal mast that come off on the side of the yacht, just forward of the side stairs? Is it for docking tenders? I just can't figure it out... :eek:
  10. Yacht News

It is a more technologically and engineering version to whips, that are used to secure the yacht's tenders a safe distance away from the yacht. It hydraulically telescopes outwards from its pocket and you hook a line through it to the bow of your tender and of course a line aft. This is not new though, conceptually because I know 19th century warships and even early 20th century era yachts have had these. They just were not telescopic and were made from wood. A few of those classic yachts now I think may still use them.

Back to the "Anastasia" and this device...she is not the only modern yacht to use this. "Mayan Queen", "Rising Sun" and "Pelorus" to name a few have them.
  11. kootenay67

kootenay67 Senior Member

We used to call it a " boat boom "

Regards Ken
  12. Lionel D

Lionel D New Member

Thanks for these precisions.
    So it's a traditional technique for docking tenders... But the mast seems high to me, no? Must have some cowboy skills to hook that line! ;)
    however this docking bay is quite large and looks very practical for the boarding process, so I wonder why it's not a standard equipement on recent yachts (I know you give a few names with similar systems but on many Yachtforums reviews, it seems that the docking and boarding process of tenders or other water toys has not been considered with the same attention.
  13. Yacht News

Well the telescopic 'mast' isn't used to help with boarding. It does the same job as whips which is to keep the tender from floating away but while keeping the said tender a safe distance away from the yacht's finely cleaned, glossed, polished and luxurious looking hull. The inflatable buffer and fenders on tenders would surely scuff the finish on a yacht's hull with exaggerated movement in the sea.

Here are two photos taken by fellow member Heston, one of "Rising Sun" and the other of "Lady Sheridan". With RS you can see her telescopic pole displayed, nothing was tied to it though. Further aft, a small inflatable whipped alongside.

2336902436_0a95c6df0f.jpg

2336008475_d1a8db9339.jpg
  14. FullaFlava

FullaFlava New Member

Here are a couple or 4 sneaky pics of Anastasia taken while out of the water at La Ciotat; the parked vans seem to provide a good feature to scale against.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Most interesting to me was the hydraulic swim platform in the last pic.

Note I did include the image tags from photobucket, but it shows in the preview as a link, not sure how it will come out when I post.
  15. Yacht News

That relatively 'new' facility at La Ciotat seems to be a big hit with refit and general maintainence work!