Click for Perko Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker

The Atlantic or Chesapeake Bay

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by slowroll, Apr 10, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. slowroll

slowroll New Member

I am considering a 38 CC Commander in NY. Which would be the most practiacal way to Norfolk? Straight down the coast look to be alot shorter route. I am guessing a arrange of 160 miles on 200 gallons figuring on having 30-40 gallons when refueling. Or is it better to take the C&D canal to the bay althought it's a longer route.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

All depends on the weather. If winds are out of an easterly direction with any force you're best to invest the extra day and shoot for the C&D. Othewise, Ocean City, Md. makes a good stopping point for a direct run to Norfolk on day 2. One proviso: once you go to Ocean City you're pretty much committed so check your weather window. South of Ocean City there aren't really any good alternatives. Also, confirm your fuel burn before trying that ocean run.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

i usually run up the Del and down the Chesie, it's a little longer but it's a nice run with more options than the outside. just avoid the lower Del when the wind opposes the tide, it's a miserable ride!

indeed, double check your exact fuel flow, don't trust the gauge or the theoretical fuel burn. start with some shorter runs, note RPM and GPS speed, refuel and calculate fuel burn before committing to anything over 50 to 60% of your range.
  4. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member

Are you planning on getting 1 nmpg on plane? If you actually get that you will be right at the rule of 1/3rds going into Norfolk. Figure about 125 nm OC to Norfolk. If you get .8 nmpg you might be pushing it. If the seas build and you have to slow down your mileage may suffer greatly. Wachapreague is about the only stopping point and it's tricky in calm weather. If you are going it alone make sure you have offshore safety equipment like an EPIRB.

Taking the Delaware to the C&D and down the bay is not a bad trip. Many places to stop. There are many days when it is too rough outside for that size boat when you can cruise right down the bay. Once you get about 35 miles up the Delaware it will be fairly protected until you get down near the mouth of the Chesapeake. The thing to watch for on the Chesapeake bay will be north or south winds. The waves take a day to build but it can get rough with that very long fetch.

HTH

John

PS. Check your insurance and Towing limits before you go.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Good point as exemplified by the 63 Bertram debacle. Especially if you're thinking of going at this time of year, you may have big problems getting coverage south of Charleston.
  6. Kapn

Kapn Member

Err on caution

With a new boat, I would err on the side of caution. I love catching a weather break and lopping off the distance on the outside. But only when I'm running a trusted boat. Sure, anything can happen to any boat, but I like not worrying about the fuel range or wondering where I would pull in if something went wrong down off the delmarva peninsula. The Bay route is just much less of a headache unless the boat is proven and weather is perfect. I had a good weather window once and was due into Norfolk around sunset, lost an engine, came in on one engine after dark, with changing forecast for the night and morning. Basically if there was an analog dial gauge for safety, I was pushing it towards the red side. Dark, cold, changing weather, one engine disabled, it wouldn't have taken much more to turn it into a bad situation and the whole time I was thinking that I would have been tied up in a marina somewhere on the Chesapeake Bay, sitting in a restaurant, eating crabs and knowing that a mechanic was scheduled for the morning.
  7. slowroll

slowroll New Member

Thank you for you input. I do realize the weather is a big factor, the bay can get nasty in a second also. The weathermen just say " it just came out of nowhere." That part of my thoughts of coming down down the coast. I am still working on the details. I am still several weeks away, and as I see it the trip down the Jersey coast will tell me alot about the boat. If I request a month in advance, can I get 2-3 days of exceptionally good weather...LOL