Click for Northern Lights Click for MotorCheck Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums

Thanks to everyone...

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by JoshCohenPHD, Jun 25, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. JoshCohenPHD

JoshCohenPHD Member

So, after months of looking, talking, touring (before the lockdown) and everything, I just wanted you guys to know I have signed on the line for a new vessel.

I have chosen to have a new Majesty 110 built. After the horror show that was looking at the Sunseeker (not to mention what happened when my people looked at her engines) I just decided to take advice I got here and went new. She'll have a build time of around 9 months.

You guys have been amazing and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. If you're ever in Orlando or Port Canaveral, message me for drinks. I'll post photos as they send me updates. Thank you so much, again.

Now I wait. And wait.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Interesting that as part of Gulf Craft's Superyacht series, the Majesty 110 certainly has a lot of characteristics of a much larger boat. Nice design.

As to getting advice here that led you to a new build, I don't know. Most here are advocates of buying used. On the other hand we do new builds and currently have one underway. Our build time is a bit longer than yours, but even with the shutdowns, still looks like spring 2021.
  3. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Be careful what you offer here as most of us will take you up on it. Also, yes, photos will be welcomed along the way...
  4. JoshCohenPHD

JoshCohenPHD Member

I was looking at used, but nothing caught my fancy or was gonna need a refit. But, yea, I paid a bit more for a nice turn around. Spring 2021 is good though. I'm summer. Hopefully. But, I'm expecting delays. With Horizon there was delays. That's honesty with myself.
  5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Maybe I missed something in your Sunseeker vs. Pearl vs. Sirene thread, but I don't think anyone suggested Gulf Craft?
  6. JoshCohenPHD

JoshCohenPHD Member

No, got that one in a PM on a Facebook page. But, people here were very helpful. So, I extended my thanks to everyone. It's hard to find places that aren't echo chambers.
  7. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I wish you had checked YF before entering a contract. I haven't looked at their recent builds, but the fit and finish several years ago wasn't great. I took them off our coverage list. Here's a thread from an owner of a Gulf Craft and he spells it out in detail...

https://www.yachtforums.com/threads/gulf-craft-majesty-what-your-opinion.12682/#post-93401
  8. JoshCohenPHD

JoshCohenPHD Member

Hmmm... I'll check it out. The one I toured was beautiful. But, yea, I'll check it out ASAP.
  9. jsschieff

jsschieff Senior Member

There was a Majesty docked in Stuart for a time this spring. I believe it was a 100. Did not go aboard, but thought the exterior trim was a tiny bit flashy -- a fair amount of chrome like a 1970's Buick. Appeared to offer plenty of interior space.

It looked OK running out Stuart inlet.
  10. JoshCohenPHD

JoshCohenPHD Member

The only thing I didn't like, was the fact that it had man engines instead of cat engines. But I heard getting parts for them now as a little easier than it used to be.
  11. olderboater

We love MAN engines. Performance, weight and space, and quietness compared to CAT.
  12. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I've given space up on MAN, overpriced tosh. Don't laugh. but for Hp/$ and back-up FIAT and FPT are the new power in the market. Not saying this as a Fanboy, just an engineer.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Would you have a MAN model number? It may be a block we are familiar with.

Fish does see and know some great stuff on the international market and we luv him.
    There is another thread that Fish seems to be deeply involved in. Some of that enthusiasm may have overflowed to this thread.
    As I, the next morning, sometimes were calmer. We still believe and say the same,,, just calmer..
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  14. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Ralf, I've had old MTU's and Duetz V12's. Sorry, but the Germans no longer build the engine that never breaks,
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I understand all my friend. You may have come down a lil hard on the OP.
    Lets find the real MAN model and figure if it will work in a 110 footer before we bad mouth it real hard.
    Poor gut just slapped down some serious bux and may be a lil sore on the big blank comments.
    And tell mom, if you can pay for the hootch, you CAN keep me..
  16. olderboater

Some of us are more conventional and our primary use is in the Americas. I'm sticking with MAN and MTU. We have both and very pleased with both.

I would not say no to a boat just because it used CAT or Volvo as I think a lot of the negative Volvo talk isn't applicable to their current engines.

My understanding, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that FPT is only up to 1000 hp so tends to be competition for Cummins and others. If that's so, FPT would not be an option for his boat to give the performance desired.
    les99 likes this.
  17. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Yes, my friend, FPT only goes to about 1000hp. The Big Boys will make real engines with real power. It's those poor sods (Me) who just need 400/800hp. But it's a work engine, not some Marina Queen.
  18. olderboater

Unfortunately too slow for us and too small for the OP's boat. His boat has twin 1900 hp so FPT may be great but not fit his needs.
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You BOUGHT a 110' Majesty based on a PM from a facebook page??? A big stinking Piece of SHIIT from a storied builder. Someone told you a used Sunseeker was a bad boat??? ..........
  20. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Man's have been very good engines in everything I have run with them, with hardly any issues at all. Never had to even take the valve cover off of any of them. A few sensors here or there, alarm monitoring boards on one boat, but that's about it. Their HP to weight ratio is great, good economy, good power, smooth, quiet.

Fiat are the biggest Pieces of crap I've ever had the service of dealing with. Had a set in the 300 serial number range of 2018 CAT C12.9 1000 hp aka Ivesco/fiat motors. They were SO BAD the owner sold the boat after owning it only 1 year. In the first 50 hours, we had 1-2 thermostats go bad in both motors, (each motor has 2) injector pump leaking fuel, turbo hot housing leak.....waited 6-8 weeks for a new injector pump and turbo. THEN a raw water hard pipe leaked at a joint that happens to be directly above the starter, so new starter and o-ring for the pipe. Then after 125 hours and after running at cruise for 30 minutes or more, the port engine would go from 2000 rpms and drop to around 1450 rpms and then throttle right back up.....about every minute or two........bad wiring harness on one engine. THEN the last straw, the raw water pump gear teeth just melted.......turns out they forgot a shipping oil seal on the block when they assembled it......this was the last straw, sat out of the water for 2 months, had to remove the gear, drop the shaft, etc while the boat sat on the hard, then enroute here the gear cooler started leaking and another thermostat went bad. They have no torque compared to the C18 they replaced.

What old MTU's were reliable??? The 12v183's that would grenade if you snapped a belt? Or the 396's that had many issues of their own.