Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Westport

Terrorist threat to all vessels! Al Quieda training divers in underwater terrorism...

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by SSV, May 2, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt. Joe

Capt. Joe Guest

John I think you misunderstood my post.
    Please. Of course I do not condone NOT having boundaries. Carl and I have had a couple of PMs back and forth in regards to this, and I am actually quite militant about order and appropriate courtesy amongst members and respect for member's intellectual property!, as a board administrator myself (of a board for Marine Surveying professionals).

I merely pointed out that the logistical aspects of the services described or at least eluded to in the post appealed to me, and could forgive the inappropriate introduction of it, if the service had some real merits.
    I guess my technical interest suppressed the instinct to register one below the belt...

But, no I am not a fan of deleting threads and I only delete when obscenities warrant. Otherwise, closing down a thread is a very elegant way of ending something that should not go any further, albeit may still have some educational purpose to be left up - someone had already said this here...
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I dunno guys...

I'm sitting here behind the screen... shaking my head and laughing. :rolleyes:

Mr. Conte, you need not apologize. You have a viable business that is interesting to mariners and I appreciate you making us aware of the same. However, you should have stopped with the apology. Instead, you steered the conversation right back into (and this is just my opinion) more self-promotion with another hyperlink.

This thread was REALLY about how our members want this site to evolve. I'm sorry, it was not so much about your service and how competitive or justified your business is. I'm going to step away from this. If others want to address this, then by all means, I'd be interested their comments and I'll take the action appropriated by the concensus of our members.

This gentlemen's follow up post is the exact reason why I chimed in on this thread to begin with. If I'm wrong, or looking at this with jaded eyes, then I am open to being corrected. Either way, it's up to our members, because they decide what they want and do not want on this forum.

Carl
  3. Capt. Joe

Capt. Joe Guest

OK, I digested that, and got my answer from SSV:
    "* Offer the most thorough in-water hull inspection service"

I have never inspected from a submersible, but have done so with SCUBA. For me, the sub would not replace the intimacy I associate with grabbing onto gear or laying hands on the antifouled surface of a hull.
    Wish you the best of course...
    I can see contractors such as yourself being hired to patrol major harbor waters sometime in the future, but I can also see small, inexpensive (well relatively) robotically guided surveillance subs being implemented in the not too distant future.
    Harbors like Norfolk come to mind for implementation of such subsurface assets...
  4. John B

John B Senior Member

Joe,

As you said the technical interest caught your eye, for me it was the opposite - LOL

SSV/Jonathan's last post obviously show's he has a real product; the original wrapper was hard for me to look past.

Jonathan,
    I totally can relate to starting your own business and wish you well in your venture. This forum is a good venue to try and promote your product. From a credibility and market perspective your last post is FAR more effective than your first ;)

Carl,
    Re: SSV's last post, while it is still a pitch I think it's fine - he explained what his product/service is which was probably appropriate under the circumstances. Link wasn't necessary again, but hey!

Personally, I find info on new/different products and services to be interesting and like to see that type of thing here. You have certainly dug up some cool things which are definitely fun to read. Ultimately you're the captain of this vessel and will need to determine what's acceptable from vendors and what is not from a promotional perspective.

This is pretty funny. No harm, no foul....
  5. Capt. Joe

Capt. Joe Guest

I am sorry guys, the follow-up I did not like. It was to much self promo with little insight into the meat & potatoes.
    There was no mention of any of my specific questions and the post offered no technical or other interesting stuff to grab onto and learn from.
    If it was me, getting a second chance on this forum, I would have offered nothing but operational logistics and my own credentials...
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2004
  6. trouty

trouty New Member

What?

No free sub for trouty downunder????

Make him walk the plank!!!! :D ;)

Joking, Joking...he's got the balls (Cajones?) to make his business work - I like him and what he's offering. Sorta quirky article that draws peoples interests - I'll tuck it away and refer to it in posts in the future (with his link) on topics where it's inclusion might be relevant!

Cheers!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.