Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Perko

Teak Deck Screw Question

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by wally erickson, Dec 2, 2004.

1. wally erickson

wally erickson New Member

I haven’t seen or heard anyone doing this so I’ll pass this along. I have a problem (“Issue” for you modern types) with a teak deck on a boat built in Twanin in the mid seventies. The deck is so worn that the screws are showing. Luckily they are bronze. I bought a 3/8 inch router bit for my plunge router, limited the depth to 3/16 or so and plunge into what’s left of the plug and right down into the screw grinding the slot off if need be. You have to hold on tight and go slow or else you’re in for a wild ride. After all the bad screws are done I epoxied in the new plugs. Chipped them flush, cut new groves where needed with my trim saw, caulked with Silkaflex and sanded the mess with 60 grit to start. It doesn’t look new but you will get the last few years out of the tired old deck instead of ripping it off. I tried it on a stainless steel screw and was greated with an instantly glowing screw and lots of smoke.
    W.
  2. JimBauer

JimBauer New Member

American Merchants and Quality

I once had a Boat US surveyor type who had a fit because the fittings on my Mainship were not double clamped, the BoatUS underwriter called me to discuss it. I told him that they were all new fittings from the BoatUS store and not one of them was wide enough to take double clamps. I asked him if he would be satisfied if I just hung a second clamp on the unsupported hose. End of discussion with the insurance company, never heard another word about it.

I talked to the Groco people at the Annapolis Boat Show later that year, they told me that BoatUS and the rest won't carry anything but the cheapest hardware products they can buy. They aren't alone, that seems to be the general practice at the OEM level in this country...

Jim Bauer
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Well, Boat US is now owned by West Marine. But I tend to agree with you. You can find some bronze plumbing fittings and a lot of schedule 80 pvc fittings at a good local hardware store a lot of times.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

My wife's company (non-marine related) is running into the same thing with their biggest customers. Step 1, put the local competition out of business. Step 2, insist that companies supply generic products. Step 3, stop carrying the non-generic products. Step 4, change to a cheaper (quality and to produce)product under that name and get the consumers to forget that quality once existed. Step 5, steal the company and cut out the middle man. Home Depot (or possible Walmart) was the first that I can recall. West Marine learned well. Old consumers will wistfully remember the days when products did the job and lasted.:(
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree, but also feel that it's also the fault of the majority of Americans. They are looking for the cheapest price on any product and willing to sacrifice longevity and quality to save a few bucks.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It's worldwide. Just remember where most of these products come from. A 20 year old today will never know quality. He'll buy a new $300 phone every 6 months (my first phone cost $19 and lasted over 20 years), pay $1,000,000 for a house we bought for $40,000, and pay $60,000 for a car that will be trash in 10 years until his money runs out. How about $1,000,000 for a boat he'll use 20 days a year for a couple of years?:D Just yesterday I heard of a guy who spent $35,000 for one night of drinking. "Beauty fades, but dumb is forever."