Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights Click for Furuno

Tanks, sewage & such...

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Capt J, Feb 3, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I had one situation on a delivery to St. Maarten from Fort Lauderdale where the owners brother (a long time yacht owner) fueled the boat in Turks and Caicos (we had saddle tanks and I shut the cross over off before we started the delivery in Fort Lauderdale). he forgot to even remotely tighten the fuel fill on the port tank, then hired locals to wash the boat. We left there the next morning with water alarms going off on the port engine...….I had to drain the racor around 40 times before we got all of the water out. Closing that crossover really saved my rear end.
  2. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

True, to a point. It's always possible that you hit a wake and a layer of gook that's been there in one tank goes on the move.

But your scenario is also plausible, however with one contaminated tank to two engines both will flame out at once or close, period. Two tanks, tank to engine, odds are you flame out one, go WTF and start the divert. You may even make it on the other one if the gook doesn't make it in there yet. It's all about odds.

All that said, I would indeed seriously consider not fueling both (all) tanks if I wasn't 1000% sure about the source. Ideally you have 3 (or more) attain 3 full with good fuel, burn two, save the known good one for plan B and fill the two when empty and so on and so forth.

Can't play this game with one tank.

I've changed filters at sea.... not my favorite thing.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Obviously too many what ifs. Yes in a perfect world you d have an emergency tank that is known clean. Probably a must for boats that venture to areas with bad fuel but for general use in the US and Bahamas it is an overkill. a set of dual racors you can change on the fly is a good tool to keep you going to a safe port or at least give you time to swap element or drain the bowl