Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for Abeking

Tall Ships; Past & Present

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Rodger, Jul 7, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

Spotted in Buffalo...

[​IMG]
    Kevin likes this.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

This is great.
    Thx, rc
  3. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Not a whole lot of air for those boys and girls....
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That's awesome, better than a scene from that Pirate series that was on Starz network a few years back.
  5. MountainGuy

MountainGuy Member

Love those ships! Sailed on one of them, "Statsraad Lehmkuhl", in 1990 from Bremerhaven to Bergen. Was still in school then, we had very bad weather, sleeping in hammocks, climbing all the way up to reef the sails, ... we could not imagine anything cooler!!!
  6. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

This is one of the finest videos I've ever seen on the subject:
  7. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

The 4 masted Bark Peking is back in Germany. 2107, the German Government had allocated some funds in order to bring this historical tall ship back to its home port Hamburg and have it restored. Our foundation "Hamburg Maritim", in which I have the honour to be a member of the board, was asked by our government to organize the transfer of the ship across the pond and to plan and organize the restauration. I had and still have the opportunity to be part of this management team. My purse is also participating on this project by some (minor :p) donations.

As the tall ship was in such a bad condition in the New York Harbour, that it could not be towed across the Atlantic, she was transported with a dock ship to the Peters Werft in Wewelsfleth northwest of Hamburg.

20170730-165553.jpg

Meanwhile, the first step, the restauration of the hull and reinstalling of the rig is completed. Tall ship Peking is back in the water!!!

The ship is expected to be completed in 2020 and will then be relocated to Hamburg to the historical part of the Hamburg Harbour, "Kleiner Grasbrook". Peking will be one of the exhibits of the new Hamburg Harbour Museum.

The square rigger Peking is one of the famous Flying P-Liners of the Hamburg Schipping Company F.Laeiz. She was built together with her sister ship Passat (today a museum ship at Travemünde, Germany) in 1909 and was used on the nitrate trade routes to and from Chile. Peking was one of the fastes tall ships of her time. Her steam power was only used for her winches, originally she had no mechanical propulsion.

Those flying P-liners, like Preussen (5-masted full-rigged ship), Pommern, Passat, Pamir, Peking and others were the culmination of the development of large commercial sailing ships.

Peking-Segelschiff-Maler_Schmidt.JPG

A copy of this painting is hanging in the staircase of my house in Hamburg. My dream is to get our authorities to allow us to show Peking under her own sails sail at least on the Elbe River and me being one of her unsalaried skippers. But from personal experience, I know (my former shipping colleagues and I have just recently failed with a replica project of a tall ship due to our strict German regulations), German authorities and the operation of historical ships do not come along very good :(. Maybe just a dream.

Will keep You informed with further progress of this project.

HTMO
  8. wwch

wwch Member

Any plans to show her at the Sail Bremerhaven in 2020?
  9. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

She is planned to be ready for static display in 2020 somewhere in the Hamburg Harbour, most likely on the St. Pauli Landungsbrücken, in the vicinity of the other museum ships of our foundation. Depending on the status of her seaworthyness and the cooperation of our authorities, we will be planning to participate on special events like Hamburger Hafengeburtstag, Kieler Woche, Operation Sail Bremerhaven or similar. I do not believe that Peking will be certified for crossing larger bodies of open water. Most German historical ships under German flag are only cleared for limited voyage. But for sure will she be open for visitors when on display already on her temporary mooring in St.Pauli. The new museum harbour Kleiner Grasbrook will not be ready before 2023. PM me for a personal tour on her if You are in Hamburg.
  10. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Very happy to see Peking being restored after a few decades of sitting at pier 17 @ South Street Seaport along side the Wavertree. I've walked and crawled though Peking's innards many times while she sat there and even back then she was looking like she was on her last leg after so many years of being neglected. She was sitting in the mud and her bilges would flood with the fluctuating tides. We used to go stern too between the two tall ships for our summer berth in the early '80s while aboard Empress Subaru. Good memories of both ships.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  11. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

As Peking has no mechanical propulsion, using her under sails only, in busy waters like the Elbe or Weser River, might be a nightmare for our authorities. If we will be allowed to show her sailing (which will also be a matter of the available budget), she has most likely always to be accompanied by at least two tug boats, always ready for the immediate handover of lines.

Below a nice video about the above mentioned Flying P-Liners. Looking at those videos and pictures and after having crawled around on Peking and Passat, I sometimes have the romantic feeling of being borne far to late.

Sorry for the music.
  12. wwch

wwch Member

Thank you for this information and your offer.