Click for Cross Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Furuno

Survey?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by crackerD, Dec 25, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. crackerD

crackerD Member

I'm looking at a new sportfish. I'm curious if it's worth the money to get a survey done on the boat AND engines?? The competing logic is...the boat and engines are under warranty, so why get a survey.

I'm a "better safe than sorry" type, but curious what you guys think.

Thanks
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The boat I would for sure. You won't know what needs to be fixed under warranty, if at first you don't know what is wrong. Also, some new boats might have a major flaw in the build process and you may not want to buy it even with a warranty. The engines personally I wouldn't survey at this point, they should've had the engine startup done by the dealer and checked out when they were put into service.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

If the boat is truly "new" I wouldn't bother with surveys, however the odds are that it's actually spent the last year moving to boat shows or being transported on water to the dealership. So yes to a survey. Engines no. You'll see whatever problems creap up during use.
  4. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

SURVEY EVERYTHING! You'd be surprised how many "new" boats would fail a proper survey even before they leave the assembly line. I've seen instances where a new boat buyer hired a surveyor to supervise the construction of the boat from lamination all the way to the final sea trial and I know of at least one instance where the surveryor failed the boat and the owner backed out before the hull left the mold.
  5. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

Survey

Survey it before you buy it and definately 2 or 3 weeks before the end of the first year when a lot of the warranties are about to expire.
  6. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I vote for hull and engine survey. You really cant go wrong with a full survey.

SHAZAM is right.
    YachtJocky has a great idea of survey before end of warranty.

also, i agree that a new boat may have seen some demo and boat show transit hours which can add up.

Also, It seems that most major mechanial defects show up in the first 100 hours or or so...

Also if the boat is slightly new, you should know what and how much is the recommend service due on the the power to keep it under extended warranty. some engines need as much 20K service at certian hours without anyting wrong with them.

I might not survey brand new, zero hours engines from factory, but you would not be wrong to have them surveyed to make sure all is ok.
  7. RVN-BR

RVN-BR Senior Member

Hull & Engine....

You said it yourself: "I'm a "better safe than sorry" type", so go with your gut...
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Survey everything, Nuf said?

Newer boats have so many computerized gizmo's and gadgets. The computers on the mains to the blue-ray. Navigation equip has a rev near for every day of the week.
    Everything gets surveyed AND updated. Including software updates for the mains and genny AND every piece of gear on board.
    Mains log get analyzed. If da boat has bilge counters, check them and find out why they cycled.
    Deck, window, hatch and port light gaskets to the scratch on the face of the transducer. If your buying boat show new, make sure it a new boat.
    AND, I have heard of issues where the dealer puts hours on, the new owner has problems, the factory has warranty issues... Protect your self.... It's your big investment.

Keep us up on how it goes. It's an inquiring minds thing...