Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for Perko

Superyacht Attessa IV collides with Sportsfishing Party Boat

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by d_meister, Oct 27, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

2. Scott W

Scott W Senior Member

Presumably, the Atessa has an advanced FLIR system. But, do these systems generally, include digital video recording capabilities? 'Dash-cam' videos are all the rage on land particularly for commercial operators but I was curious if that has spilled into commercial shipping or (mega) yachting.
  3. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Interesting question.... If I was an owner I would definitely have recording cameras installed.... Same reason people have them on the road. It's a witness with a very good memory.
  4. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

We have cameras - several facing aft, one long distance model to keep an eye on the tow and two forward. Not go-pros - professionally installed to prevent such tragedies. But it helps to run the short distance radar and have two on the bridge keeping lookout.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The FLIR system we have is older (2009) and will display a boat at least a quarter mile away, sometimes more. The angle is pretty narrow so a boat cross your path at close range it won’t be seen till the last moment

We only have one radar but I split it on the 22” monitor with a short range (1/2 mile) and longer range (3 to 8nm depending on location). This way if a small boat doesn’t show up well in the longer range window it will be visible in short range...

As I said earlier too many poorly lit boats down here
  6. saltysenior

saltysenior Senior Member

the Prowler should have shown up on radar , and certainly the yacht would show.....if it was foggy or even just dark 3 heads should have been watching it .... if the radar was down then lookouts should have been increased....hard to believe it could happen......also seems strange , with all the people involved , no one has given out the details of the collision...
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Is it an accident when someone forgets their kid(s) are in the back seat cooking in the sun?
    Brain fart, accident or stupid, it's a homicide.
    I noticed Da Boss removed my early comments on this. I do understand and no problems.
    But as I commented, (quoting a fave movie) "Some body has to go to jail, Ben."
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

9. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

In this case, incarceration offers the survivor families nothing . Fortunately for them, there is an obvious deep pocket, a source of compensation. That is really the only tangible retribution available to them.

Revenge, hate, satisfaction in another persons suffering in prison ? Can’t see it in this particular accident. I stress accudent for what is known at this time.

I’m more along the lines of compassion, foregiveness, empathy , healing for all. There will be enough life long pain to go around for the key people involved in this case if that is your gig.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I'm really getting tired of this compassion,healing and closure crap.
    Somebody died at the negligent hands of others. Don't need any more info than there is dead and injured, somebody(s) messed up.

I have pulled and helped to recover to many bodies from the river surrounded by compassionate people when I knew dam well what happened.

If you get run over, cooked in the back seat or a victim of another type of homicide, it's to late for you to ask for responsibility.

When the responsible are held accountable, maybe some of this carnage will be reduced.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If it helps, Let me help define homicide. Different from T V.

Homicide is the act of one human killing another.[1] A homicide requires only a volitional act by another person that results in death, and thus a homicide may result from accidental, reckless, or negligent acts even if there is no intent to cause harm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homicide
  12. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I'm sorry compassion offends you so, but I don't give a flying f... how tired you get of it, I'm not going to change.
  13. timvail

timvail Senior Member

Not sure I got the same message you did olderboater. Compassion does not preclude responsibility as far as I know.
    One can show compassion towards another while that person takes responsibility for their actions or lack there of. Knowing we are responsible for decisions we make,helps us navigate through life.
  14. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

PTSD is a real thing, I have seen my brother struggle with it after three tours of duty in the Middle East and pulling out the bodies of his mates in vehicles that had hit exploding devices.

I can see this has also struck a nerve for you with you admirable service as a rescue diver, and we are all grateful for your service. No one is excusing accountability on any level. Still addressing this as an accident. Reducing incidents that result in loss of life do not eliminate them, as accidents are just that. There is no legislation or holding accountability that can prevent accidents, period.

Judge/Jury/Verdict by social media is the great new ill of society, a sickness that is taking over all things on the internet. There is a process involved and we need to support it, I choose to do it with some level of compassion and empathy for all involved. Nothing is going to bring back the deceased, their family will be living with his loss forever.

For some perspective, here is an article from an incident in San Diego Harbor that involved the USCG hitting a Sea Ray at night during the Fourth of July with a loss of a child's life and multiple injuries. The NTSB opinion is cited and the resulting actions to the USCG personnel involved in the situation are reference:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/07/12/california.boat.accident.ntsb/index.html

You will note that the process did not result in any long term senseless incarceration, even though they found the USCG vessel at fault.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.