Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Delta Click for Perko

Super- Mega- or Gigayachts!?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by AMG, Nov 8, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbee

newbee New Member

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Again depending a little on the buyer, but with superyacht standard and finish I think she will cost you USD 4-500 million. As you know, some yachts have decorations that can double the construction price but I would think she will have a lot more of free space than smaller yachts, which is just that, almost free... ;)

On your second question, this ship has nothing that justifies her conversion to anything but what she already is.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  3. BarryClay

BarryClay New Member

It should have been a JSF..
  4. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Speaking of aircraft on yachts, I wonder how soon until a BA609 will be the thing to have landed on your aft deck...
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

We had a BA 609 "landing" on my 165 m design a couple of months ago, but since it was not certified yet I replaced it with the Harrier. Some discussions in another thread gave that this kind of aircraft needs pretty wide landing areas on a yacht because of the twin props can make her tip over if only one has a ground effect. So the answer is probably that something like more delicate gyro systems has to be used to keep it straight over a small helipad. Not many yachts have a big "heliport" like this...

Attached Files:

6. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Hhhmmmm... interesting. I never even thought about the lift differentials that one would encounter with the Tilt-Rotor system, when landing near a ledge, or in this case... the helipad on a yacht. You are right... the ground effect would make a pronounced difference. I'm almost certain that gyros are connected to pitch and RPM to compensate for the same, but you've raised a good point.

I'm impressed you thought of that Lars! (guess that's why you're such a good designer) ;)
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks Carl, but honestly, there are many yachts I would never land a heli on, especially if they are swinging. With a heli you can alter the pitch on the rotor so you can hang over a cliff literally, but if this cliff is moving and have masts and fancy rails you can hook into...

With two props, not rotors, I think this will be very tricky.

But on the giant 206m Victoria, a skilled pilot like yourself can probably fly anything straight into the hangar! :)

Btw, the radar on the aft mast is for the heli control and occasional radar vectoring. Inside the small holes in the mast are TV-cams and high intensity lights for approaching helis. The lanterns are the size of a lighthouse to hold spare lamps on a revolving system...

Attached Files:

8. hufloas

hufloas New Member

Have you got more detailed pictures and specifications of Victoria's Venetian Taxi?

Thanks.
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

This version of the Venetian Taxi is reduced to 65 feet from my original 100 feet design. I have not made any new GA, but you can have a look at the 100-footer here. With diesel power and waterjets she is planned for a cruising speed close to 50 knots. The 65-feet version will not be slower... ;)

Attached Files:

10. hufloas

hufloas New Member

Sweet glamourous thing! :cool:
  11. catmando

catmando Senior Member

This is the Freedom Ship, designed by Norm Nixon of Dallas, Tx. It will be close to 6000m in length. don't remember the beam but it should be at least 500'. It is powered by 100 electric(?) pods, which will rotate 360*. And yes there is a landing strip on top.

Freedom Ship will be completely self-sufficient and will follow the Equator around the world.

Norm is looking for investors. How about it gentlemen?
  12. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

It's been a while since I studied geography... but isn't there a whole lot of land around a lotta' the equator?
  13. catmando

catmando Senior Member

Hmmm....let me bust out my globe. :D Yes there will be a few..ah..DETOURS for sure, but the map I saw(I think the article was in Popular Mechanics a couple years ago) showed a pretty close line around the Equator.
  14. capitan_buzo

capitan_buzo New Member

Freedom will be less than 5000 FEET.
  15. catmando

catmando Senior Member

My bad, I did not mean 6000meters, I meant 5500-6000 feet.

I don't think Norm has started building Freedom as yet. I'll do a Google and see if I can find it.
  16. catmando

catmando Senior Member

17. catmando

catmando Senior Member

Kevin have you been through the site yet? There's a map that shows Freedom's track 'round the world.
  18. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Heheh... yeah, so much for sticking to the equator. ;)
  19. catmando

catmando Senior Member

Well as close as they CAN. I remember Nixon saying something about that in the Discover Channel show. Obviously they have changed the route to allow more shore visits.
  20. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

The world's largest shipboard community... the "Freedom Ship" lives! (although it's somewhat smaller than expected for now) ;)

Here's a link to Captain's Models, who's building the "mini-me" version...

http://www.captainsmodels.com/special_projects.htm

And a couple of pictures...

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.