Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Perko

Sunseeker Apache Transport in Europe

Discussion in 'Yacht Transport Ships' started by tomahawk, Jun 25, 2012.

1. tomahawk

tomahawk New Member

Hi, Am looking for someone that can transport my 1995 Sunseeker Apache from South of France to Malta.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If you pick your weather and routing why can't you run it on its own bottom?
  3. tomahawk

tomahawk New Member

The Apache is powered by 2 Volvo KAD 42 engines (2x230hp diesel) with Z Drives. I was told by many that these drives and engines will not "enjoy" such a long trip !
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Why not????
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The boat should be able to make it under it's own power if the engines and drives are in good nick and you do not operate it at WOT all the way.

It also looks to be a bit under powered compared to others I have seen on line.

If you head east towards Genoa and then work your way down the Italian coast stopping for fuel and the night when required you could get down to bottom of Sicily and then shoot across to Malta when the weather is good. It is longer that way than going for the Bonifacio Straits but you are never far from a port of refuge should things go pear shaped.

I spent a summer in a Superhawk 52 with triple 315 hp Yanmars. I worked out we had a max range of 300 nm in fine weather. This was sorely tested a couple of times in heavy weather when doing Toulon to Mahon which is 215 nm from memory. We never ran out of fuel but it is better to be safe than sorry. That same boat has been to Greece and back on it's own bottom from Monaco so it is possible in a small boat if planned well.

I found a review of a 45 Apache with 600 hp Seateks with 1400 lts fuel , they give a range at 25 kts of 335 nm. Not sure how this stacks up to yours but if you run along the coast for the first tankful you should get an idea how far you can go in similar weather.

I have found when doing long runs at high speed in small boats it is much easier and safer to do it during the day if possible. If you get up and start to get going just pre dawn and make plans to be in somewhere tied up refueled and ready to go before dark your journey will seem a lot more enjoyable than straining to see a light reflecting on the surface that seems to be miles away one minute and just ahead the next as you blast towards it at 30 or 40 kts on a moonless night then trying to arrive in an unknown location in the middle of the night.