Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Mulder

Sunken Yachts out there

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtPhoto1, Mar 21, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtPhoto1

YachtPhoto1 New Member

Is there a location on who, what, when and where large yachts have gone down? It seems like we never hear much about large, privately owned yachts sinking for whatever reasons. Hopefully, this is because the captains do such a great job for the owners. I was just curious and got to thinking about this after viewing a program on The Bermuda Triangle (BT) and how many yachts/planes have mysteriously gone down over many decades. I'm looking for info on all and any yachts that may have gone down worldwide, not just inside the BT.

Your input is much appreciated. Thanks for your input.
  2. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

There used to be shipwreckcentral.com with quite a bit of information but I don't know whether this site still exists.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

4. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

5. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"It would be a bouncy, but safe run, Tim thought, particularly for a boat of that size and condition."

Is he talking about the boat shown in the picture, or was it refastened before it fell apart? That planking doesn't give me a feeling of security.
  6. Hattsoff

Hattsoff Member

Thanks for that link. I remember when that yacht went down. It was all over the news and many online discussions about it. I believe it was listed for sale when it sank. As beautiful and well maintained as it was I recall a discussion about the hull not being as sound and well maintained as it should/could have. Very sad to see a classic Chriscraft go down.
  7. YachtPhoto1

YachtPhoto1 New Member

Speaking of classic ChrisCrafts...

I've seen a few of those at the dock in dire need of a good owner who just needed to spend some much deserved TLC on the old boat. I mean, when you see one covered in algae--inside and out--plus a stern that would most likely fall apart if cleaned with a pressure washer...tis time to call the Dock Police and have that boat taken out of the water. Too bad, so sad when this happens. What's worse is having to be in the next space over and looking at that sad state of ownership.

Who remembers the news feature about the former cruise ship "THE WIND SONG" being sunk between Tahiti and Moorea to form an artificial reef? It was given up as no longer seaworthy after a fire while cruising the islands of French Polynesia.
  8. YachtPhoto1

YachtPhoto1 New Member

Thanks for the links to locating these wrecks...

Much appreciated is the many links to finding info about these "sinkers" and any other stories related to them. The "Graveyard of the Pacific" is full of all types of boats, but it is next to impossible to dive on them or in some cases, even pin-point their final resting places due to many factors.

Boat Responsibly...
  9. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

Makes a nice wreck though...
    Sitting upright, shallow and clear water. Too bad the superstructure is ripped off.
  10. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

11. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member