Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for JetForums Click for Mulder

Suez Canal Blocked (NOW UNBLOCKED)

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by NYCAP123, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Bad Luck, Egypt makes a lot money keeping the canal open.
    Without it they would be screwed...
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Not to mention what the back up for ships and yachts will cost them. Then there's the ships in the canal that have to stand station until it clears or they can back out. Busy canal and no alternatives.
  3. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That's a huge number of ships backed up. What I haven't seen yet i the number of private yachts stuck there watching their fuel gauges. This is going to be very costly on many different levels. Btw do they really have just one dozer trying to dig out its bow?
  5. Riknpat

Riknpat Senior Member

This is quite worrisome. About 1/8 of all world trade passes through the canal - about $10 billion a day - and the disruption of supply lines between Europe and Asia and the ripple effect to North America if this continues could be quite serious. The alternative route around Africa has its own costs delays and problems. While not to dismiss the effect on Egypt, there are much bigger issues at stake. The sheer size of this thing -1,340 feet long and a displacement of 200,000 metric tons is daunting. A disturbing event at a particularly unfortunate time with the European economy struggling with the pandemic and their own vaccination fiasco.
  6. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Keep the thread on track guys... thank you.
  7. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Latest is it was a serious sustained gust of wind knocked her off kilter. I wonder what the speed limit is there and whether these behemoths have enough steerage at that speed. The thing is almost 200' wide, the canal there is about 700' overall, who knows how wide the channel is. Locals are claiming it will be resolved "soon". The Dutch, masters at this game, are on scene. Dutch news was discussing it and apparently the boys called home to Mom and said it may be "a while".
  8. Riknpat

Riknpat Senior Member

The container ship blocking Suez has been moved sufficiently to allow partial passage. Tug horns blared in celebration according to British reports. The Dutch firm in charge of operations warned that there was still work to do but passage is now possible . Danish shipping giant Maersk said that it would take at least 6 days to clear the logjam.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I just read that it was now fully afloat
    Riknpat likes this.
  10. pierberio

pierberio New Member

Ever Given is now in the southern Bitter Lake heading north at 6-7 knots
  11. jsschieff

jsschieff Senior Member

The owner of Evergreen shipping was also a yachtsman. He built a 302' motor yacht in Japan around 1999 -- not bad looking. It was named Evergreen. It has been thoroughly revamped and updated and is now named Attessa IV I believe.
  12. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

The Suez canal threads have been merged.
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That canal is going to be a very busy place for a few days. Wonder if the ships that headed south over the weekend will be turning around in favor of the shorter / safer route. This all must have cost them a fortune.
  14. AnotherKen

AnotherKen Member

Yeah, a few shirts will have been lost over that issue. I like the dust storm theory, otherwise I can't see how such a big vessel gets into that situation before someone sees it happening and a swarm of tugboats shows up.
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Lose propulsion in any narrow waterway, especially with strong winds, and nothing good will come of it.
  16. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Having commanded big 1.000 ft container vessels through the Panama Canal in my younger days, I have some understandig for that incident.

1. These vessels are built and optimized for cruising speeds from 17 up to 25 Kts. This for hull and bow form and size and therefore command authority of its rudder(s). 2. A 1.300 ft long fully loaded box carrier (length x height to the highest box storage level) is a pretty big sail in the wind at strong crosswinds. 3. Those sand storms in this area can be pretty strong and may come very quickly. 4. The max. allowable cruise speed in the canal is very low for the maneuverability (rudder effectiveness) of those giants. If, due to traffic situation and because a very deep draft vessel is in front, those big vessels may have to travel in the canal very close to their minimum controllable speed. Means, things like this can happen and will happen again with such giant ships in those narrow and relatively shallow waters. 5 to 6 Kts travel speed is to slow for such vessels without assistance.

At my time, the big boys were 1.000 ft long and had a max. draft of about 50 max. 55 ft. Today they have 1.300ft LoA and have more than 65 ft of draft.

My question is, should such big boys travel the canal on their own? A powerfull safety tow boat hooked up on the bow and on the stern for immediate assistance, if needed (that is what rules ask for on the Elbe River closer to the Hamburg port), could prevent such incidents. This will increase the costs going through the canal but an incident like this is more expensive, both for the canal authorities and the shipping companies.

The Evergreen ship is free again but it will take 8 to 10 days to clean up the traffic jams on both ends of the canal. Lloyds Unterwriter will have to sign a few cheques for that incident.

Just my two (Euro) cents

HTMO9
  17. AnotherKen

AnotherKen Member

Heh, the way that Evergreen was listing I'd guess there's a few more headaches for the owners in the near future. Yeah, I am surprised that yacht was on it's own. But not too surprised that nobody reported seeing anything, I think there's a lot of butt covering going on.
  18. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

I am sure, there is some damage to the ship. If this volume and weight goes aground at the bow and the stern, the momentum will bend some metal. The listing can have been done on purpose with ballasting in order to assist in freeing the ship. But their must be some damage to the rudder(s) and/or the prop(s) and may be on the bulbous bow. The banks in several part of the canal are reinforced below the waterlevel with rocks and concreate to prevent damage caused by the wake.
  19. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

It was. 20,000 tons of ballast were off loaded. Don't know if the report was accurate but I read it was doing 13 kts. And you conformed my steerage thoughts. Heck the rudders on my Hatt don't do anything until 4 kts. Fortunately I have two screws.