Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Furuno Click for Glendinning

Submarines

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by JWY, Dec 14, 2020.

1. JWY

JWY Senior Member

2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

3. echo charlie

echo charlie Member

The Lost 52 Project is on a mission to find all WW2 lost submarines.
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Anyone see the NetFlix documentary; Operation Odessa? Worth the watch!

"Would you like to buy your Russian submarine with or without missiles?" Funny, except it's a true story...

5. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

After the wall came down I was ordered a "share" in a Russian diesel sub. (No missiles). Never got too far past looking at the "listing" pictures, but it made for good cocktail talk.
  6. Steve Hubbard

Steve Hubbard New Member

Hi Judy
    Submarines are fascinating. A few years back i got to dive the USS Lagarto WWII Submarine (war grave) in the Gulf of Thailand, about 260'. Was a sobering dive on many levels as the boat was built in Manitowoc WI, very near where i lived and the resting place of many brave souls. A few years later dove the subs at Bikini Atoll which were sunk as part of operation crossroads nuclear testing. Largely intact resting on the bottom. Very difficult to penetrate. A few pics of some of my best dives here. Happy Holidays to all YF'ers

Memorial plaque left by team that discovered Sub on the Conning tower of the Lagarto
    _PMP6916.jpg
  7. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Great to see you posting on YF! What amazing experiences those dives must have been. Very impressive. Have you read the book Blind Man's Bluff? It is about the submarines pre- and during the Cold War. One of the subs (obviously US) was captained by a fellow Cape Horn owner and one of the major stories in the book had a Cape Horn owner as its chief nuclear engineer. It's a fascinating piece of history.
  8. Steve Hubbard

Steve Hubbard New Member

yes, blind mans bluff is a fantastic read! highly recommended to anyone, fascinating and of course it "never" really happened. cheers!