Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Delta Click for Abeking Click for Furuno

Structural integrity of large glassed areas on say, Westport 172

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by FlyingGolfer, Nov 7, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Not only that but sea sickness. Yes the big windows look nice at the boat show, but I still remember my first bout of sea sickness. I awoke on my 4th or 5th day out and my eye immediately went to the TV screen which reflected the waves going past my porthole. From that moment I spent the next 2 days puking up everything in my gut and when empty I kept right on puking. Can't imagine waking up to seeing the waves going by a big window right at bed level. Then there's the wonderful view from the slip of the hull 3' away. Maybe if you live in a NYC apartment that seems normal, but I'd rather just see my SR till I get up on deck. Then there's the panic one will feel when they see that eventual first trickle of water coming in the seam between that glass and the fiberglass hull a foot or two above the waterline.
  2. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

I agree, pretty and airy has risen to a new level, time will tell how well those glass walls and large hull windows hold up. A roomy shaded aft deck is hard to beat.
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Since you are all going off the deep end in response to a question regarding glass on a Westport, I ask this simple question, how many known instances of glass failure on a Westport do you know of? As one who owns a 130', I am not concerned. I am not aware of any issues and don't anticipate any and wouldn't hesitate to purchase the 172.
  4. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Exactly....
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The thread title says "on say, Westport 172", but it applies to a lot of other boats I'd be a lot more concerned with. The bigger the boat the stronger its components, and I'd have a lot less concern with a 172' of any brand than I would with a 50' or a 30' which are also sporting these hull windows. I'd also be less concerned with a newer boat than one that's been flexing for 10 or 20 years and thus shortening the boat's lifespan and lessening its resale value. I also wonder about how these windows are holding up visually to brush marks, fender rubs, soap, waxing and oxidation. Personally I hate looking through dirty or scratched windows.
  6. Slimshady

Slimshady Senior Member

The owners of these boats won't likely be out in rough conditions but the crew will be when they're trying to move the boat to meet the schedule.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The first owner won't care much, but subsequent owners will when they pay for the repairs/replacement of the windows and lose a season for it to be done, lose resale value or experience premature demise of the boat. And yes crews will care when they have to report leaks
  8. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Just looked at a Westport 172. online. Wow, a lot of yacht. I did notice the tri deck with a lot of large vertical glass and large hull windows, probably what the op was concerned about. You own a Westport and not concerned so that is good enough for me. I do question the large hull glass windows same as most that commented, in no way demeaning Westport, their reputation is well known for quality.
  9. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I also wouldn't, because the 130 doesn't have any hull windows! :)
  10. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Me either! lol
  11. Rockribbed1

Rockribbed1 New Member

Elon Musk was showcasing ALON which is ceramic aluminum oxynitride not glass at all. Of course it comically failed but it is actually much stronger and lighter than steel. Currently too expensive and small but very exciting futuristic material.
  12. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

Structural concerns of mine include absorbing torque loads and longitudinal flex. The scratching problem is one I hadn’t thought of. Lots of frequent polishing I bet. The 172 looks like a superb boat, one I would purchase as a second boat only if we find we want to a lot of long range Pacific cruising. Wouldn’t work well in the Caribbean with that deeper draft. I really am enjoying all these informed responses.
  13. bliss

bliss Senior Member

I am unimpressed with the use of glass on boat hulls. We won't know how it holds up for years. The "look" adds nothing to a yacht's eye appeal. Maybe that says more about me than the boats!. For some more glass information Google "Chicago tower glass". If it was my $$ on the line I would hire a consultant after getting as much information as possible from the builder. Maybe the tower glass engineers mentioned in the google search would help. Good luck!
  14. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I think I was the first to answer your first question in the OP by saying that vessel glasses can and do break.
    And personally, for any vessel like a Westport 172, I'd rather not have any hull windows, if given a choice.
    That said, I don't think they are as much of an issue as you fear they can be - particularly when used by a reputable builder as Westport.
    Sounds like it's more a matter of making up your mind about what you want, in my understanding.
  15. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Westport would probably build you a 172 without the hull windows. Floorplan shows a lot of topside glass, not unusual for a boat that size. Says room for Captain and 12 crew, not a problem keeping glass clean.
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Purchasing new I wouldn't be too concerned about the glass on most boat hulls, but I envision big problems for the person who buys them 10 or 20 years later between scratches and leaks. Normally someone buying a 20 year old boat doesn't have to worry about being the boat's last owner, but with windows in the hull he may well be. When that'll affect the resale prices I DK, but I'm pretty sure it will.
  17. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Are you referring to The Bahamas? There are very few places in the Caribbean where draft is much of an issue.
  18. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I just looked at the W172 spec. 7'9" is a very slight draft. Not even a problem in The Bahamas.
  19. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

Really? I understood differently about the Bahamas. Good to know.
  20. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Yes and no. There's the way the average 80' boat does the Bahamas and 5-6' allows them to get in and out and cross where they wish. That's not the way a 130'-200' cruises though as they'll anchor off and tender to and from and go to deep water marinas and among those boats you'll see 8-10' often.