Click for Nordhavn Click for Comfort Click for Walker Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger

Steam Cleaner

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Zeke, Mar 6, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Zeke

Zeke Member

What commercial steam/carpet cleaner does everyone use for carpets, headliner, and upholstery?

All of our upholstery on a 100ft motoryacht is light in color and we use a small residential Bissel steam unit which doesn't do a lot for stains. Those we normally get out by soaking with spot cleaner/spray9 and lots of elbow grease. We call in pros every so often who go over everything with a commercial unit which works magic. We would like to buy our own serious commercial cleaner that is light/small enough to maneuver around the yacht - any recommendations? It must have a wand for headliners/upholstery. Thanks.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I use a Bissell Pro Heat 2x for about the past 5 years or so in my home (and bring it to the boat). At times I've had up to 3 cats and 4 dogs, and it works great. It doen't have a wand, but it has a long hose with a hand unit attached for furniture, curtains, etc. It's about the size of a regular stand-up vacuum. Before this we had a Hoover, but it didn't last.
    Almost more important than a cleaner is what you use on stains. In the Bissell we use their lavender scented cleaner, but for stains we use Nature's Miracle which you can get at Wallmart, many supermarkets and most pet stores. If it'll work on poop and urine stains.........
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree, it's more so the type of cleaner you use than the cleaning unit itself. Whink works on a lot of stuff.
  4. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

We spilled one of the Damprid dehumidifier bags full of the fluid on our carpet and I have not been able to remove the stain. Its not colored but still left a stain. Any ideas?
  5. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I'd definitely start with a "pet stain" cleaner and a Bissel like NYCAP suggested above.

Also effective is a product called Spot Shot.
  6. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

I ran a boat that had silk wall coverings and had some major potable water leaks that left brown high water marks on the silk. This had happened on more than one occasion by different causes and frequently enough that I developed my own protocol for dealing with any soft goods spills and stains. The first step is always to use only water from a spray bottle and suck it out with a wet-dry. If you use any cleaner, it needs to be flushed and removed anyway, because soaps and detergents leave residues. The rule of thumb is that if it was water soluble to begin with, it will be water soluble to remove. The key is to flow the liquids out of the material with the vac. When red wine hits the white couch cushions, it's essential to get the vac and water spray on it quickly. The water flush method works almost all of the time. I've rarely resorted to cleaners, and always avoid cleaners with any colorizing agent in them to avoid creating a blue or green cast stain. I keep a small wet-dry, like the Stinger, on standby with a water spray bottle and hit the spot before a stain sets. Just about all carpet and upholstery machines are just purpose built wet-drys, anyway.
  7. Larry Iverson

Larry Iverson New Member