Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Walker

Stcw?

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by Islandtime, Sep 24, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Islandtime

Islandtime New Member

I've run for years without STCW, but rumor has it that it is becoming more and more essential. My understanding is that you only need it if you are running a charter with passengers for hire which I never do- I run private vessels and deliveries. Is it a good idea to get it regardless? Does it make you more marketable?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Can you re new your Captains License without having done the STCW 95 Core Modules?
  3. Islandtime

Islandtime New Member

That is a good question which I don't have the answer to. if you need it for renewal, then that would answer my question as to whether I need it or not. :)
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

When was the last time you renewed your License or when is it due for renewal?

When I changed my UK one from an STCW 78 to a 95 Compliant one I had to do an additional course - CPSC & RB in order to get my renewal.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It is not necessary under USCG rules to have STCW unless you're license is 200tons and over (the cutoff may be 500tons). I too do a lot of deliveries (15k NM a year) and have been in and out of many different Islands, countries, and third world countries and have never needed it. It makes you much more marketable as a Mate on a megayacht, they seem to want it for insurance reasons (mostly). But other then that, I have never once had anyone ask for it, including insurance companies. Another qualification does not hurt though.
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Here is an informative Article from The Triton Website:

Admin Edit: Link Removed
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2022
  7. Starrider

Starrider New Member

Very interesting link you supplied there K1W1. Here in South Africa, STCW 95 is pretty much required by all institutions related to the Maritime Industry, be it Merchant, Yachting as well as the Rigs. I suppose it does what it was designed to do, and that is to standardize maritime training throughout the world. What seems to be confusing, is the fact that cetain countries still do not have it as an requirement, but yet dont recognize qualifications that are based on STCW 95. There seem to be this ongoing locking of horns between the RYA/MCA and the USCG, and even here, we have SAMSA(South African Maritime Safety Authority), which controls just about anything that floats and anybody that wants to float on it. At the same time, we have SAS(South African Sailing), which I believe is endorsed by SAMSA. Both organizations demand STCW 95 for basic courses as well as more advanced courses, before allowing one to sit a formal board of examination, or applying for a COC. Yet, SAMSA frowns very hard when one mentions that you are a holder of a MCA/RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate. They really dont like the idea of locals holding "foreign" COC's, but also stop just short of saying that they dont recognize it. I really cannot understand the "infighting". How do the rest of you guys feel about this? I have to say that I stand for well trained mariners, of all ranks, and what a pleasure it will be to know, that the training we all do, is standardized throughout the world.