Click for Furuno Click for Perko Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service

St. Lawrence Seaway

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by Rodger, Apr 20, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Scott W

Scott W Senior Member

With a foreign flag and at 1,100 GT, would Blue Moon need a pilot on-board in that part of the Seaway even if it weren't on charter?
  2. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

3. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Yes
  4. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

Any motor yacht 35 M or greater requires pilots for St Lawrence River to Montreal and Montreal section of seaway to Lake Ontario and then the Welland Canal.
    The cost for a one way trip to Great Lakes was approx $ 20,000 four years ago and if yacht is foreign flagged you will also need Lake Pilots all the way to Port Huron.
    Note a US flagged yacht is not considered foreign flag. Two years ago it cost approx
    $ 60.000 for a return trip fr a foreign flagged yacht to the great lakes. Approx five year ago it use to be 500 tons before you require a canal pilot but the seaway went to the 35 M rule. I use to take these large yachts through the canal but not anymore. At one time lots large yacht came to Great Lakes but now only about five every year.
  5. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

If I remember Ken you were the last big yacht through when the rules change.
  6. Gratton

Gratton Member

I can imagine those fees make sense for a large cargo ship, but I never thought it could cost that much for a private yacht! On this topic, I often see some cargo ships anchor for 1-2 days in the St- Lawrence...I assume they do not need a pilot while at anchor?
  7. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I think you're correct Rodger.
    Yes it is expensive, but wholly on the Canadian side of things. The US Coast Guard does not require a STRICTLY private yacht to take a pilot in US waters. Thus, you are only required to use them on the Canadian side of the imaginary line.
  8. Scott W

Scott W Senior Member

I knew it was expensive, but I had no idea it was that expensive. I was curiuos why not many private yachts (perhaps even none), US or foreign-flagged, made the trip to Chicago for the America's Cup. Now I know why.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I wonder if the organizers realized that. Seems Pi****y to plan some thing that big and not have a fleet of fans,,,, or was that a plan...
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

BTW, I never understood the races on Lake Michigan. When you race, on a given day, at a given time, that's when the race begins, if the wind blows or not.
    If anybody remembers, they did not start the races till the winds picked up.
    So much for racing at a given time.
  11. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Every kind of race I'm aware of adjusts the time based on weather. You're in South Georgia, you see Nascar delayed by rain. I've seen regattas on the lake we lived on in NC cancelled because conditions were too bad.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

There was no weather. To light air for them to show their stuff. Videos show lil boats sailing around.
    Would have been a big waist of high tech for the foil boats to just get pushed around at hull displacement. Would have been still a winner..
    Before the NYYC club lost the cup, there were light air days up there. My G Pop was on one of those ole grand racers years (YEARS) ago.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  13. olderboater

35 m is why you see a lot of 112' boats come through but very few 130's. The 130's were fine under the 500 ton rule.

Also, an issue because such a large percentage of large yachts are foreign flagged. $20,000 on a 130-150' US boat is a lot but in the overall costs of operating the boat it's really manageable, just annoying to most. But when you get to $60,000 and more, as the price keeps rising, then it's enough to make people choose to go elsewhere.

On top of the costs, you have the inconveniences, the scheduling, and everything else involved and as there is clearly a de-prioritization of pleasure boats, those issues increase.
  14. olderboater

That's weather. No wind is a weather condition.
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Oh well, I'm done.
    I'm a diesel pusher anyway.
    All be safe and happy July 4.
  16. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

TOLLS WELLAND CANAL $ 5022.00
    Column 1 Column 2
    Item
    Pilotage Service Basic Charge ($)
    1 Through the Welland Canal, if the pilot is changed at Lock 7,
    (a) for that portion of the passage between the northern limit of the Canal and Lock 7 2,511
    (b) for that portion of the passage between Lock 7 and the southern limit of the Canal 2,511
    2 Between Southeast Shoal and Toledo or any point on Lake Erie west of Southeast Shoal 2,684
    3 Between points on Lake Erie west of Southeast Shoal 1,585
    4 Between Southeast Shoal and the Port Huron Change Point or any point on the St. Clair River, if the pilot is not changed at the Detroit pilot boat 4,669
    5 Between Southeast Shoal and Detroit, Windsor or any point on the Detroit River 2,684
    6 Between Southeast Shoal and the Detroit pilot boat 1,942
    7 Between Toledo or any point on Lake Erie west of Southeast Shoal and the Port Huron Change Point, if the pilot is not changed at the Detroit pilot boat 5,412
    8 Between Toledo or any point on Lake Erie west of Southeast Shoal and Detroit, Windsor or any point on the Detroit River 3,485
    9 Between Toledo or any point on Lake Erie west of Southeast Shoal and the Detroit pilot boat 2,684
    10 Between Detroit, Windsor or any point on the Detroit River and any point on the Detroit River 1,585
    11 Between Detroit, Windsor or any point on the Detroit River and the Port Huron Change Point or any point on the St. Clair River 3,513
    12 Between the Detroit pilot boat and any point on the St. Clair River 3,513
    13 Between the Detroit pilot boat and the Port Huron Change Point 2,727
    14 Between points on the St. Clair River 1,585
    15 Between the Port Huron Change Point and any point on the St. Clair River 1,942
  17. Gratton

Gratton Member

Christensen 154' "Top Five"

DSCN3678.JPG DSCN3681.JPG
  18. Gratton

Gratton Member

Ocean Alexander 112' "Georgia"

DSCN3685.JPG
  19. Gratton

Gratton Member

Nordlund 89' "Sol Pursuit"

DSCN3739.JPG DSCN3746.JPG