Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Westport

Sprucing up the back deck

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by dave, Nov 3, 2005.

1. dave

dave New Member

Has anyone ever heard of using hard wood flooring on the back deck, or pre-laminate flooring. I want to avoid tek if poss. I'm restoring my roamer and open to any ideas. It just plain plywood right now.
    Let me know if u have and what it entails.
    Let me know if I'm crazy!! LOL

Dave:confused:
  2. iaranicki

iaranicki Member

teak

why would you want to avoid teak it is the best you can have.
    I can understand our point onl based on price it bloody expensive.
    on one f my boats I got the teak from a Bathroom shop. it was real solid teak 10 mm thick and about 1 1/2 inch wide imported from indonesia.
    the price was very reasonable about 4,5$ per sq ft. where the proper boat teak was about 20 per sq ft. Not sure you can find in your aria but it is worth a try.
    that my 2 cents contribtion
    ivan
  3. Steven H

Steven H New Member

There's another wood which is virtually identical to teak. Visullay, you can't telle them apart and the price-difference is big. I paid 200€ /m² for the teak (inclusive bonds and glue) and about 75€/m² for the alternative wood.)

The only difference between teak and this wood is that the smell is slightly different, a bit sharper. While teak has a nice and soft aroma, this one is less pleasing. Compare it between you everyday espresso and the italian small ones. :cool:

Therefore it is recommended not to use it indoors, but outdoors only. I used Teak to floor my 2 bathrooms, bath-tub and shower in my appartment. I used the other wood (really can't remember the name) for the terras.
  4. iaranicki

iaranicki Member

hi there

Hi there,
    I have seen that you are in Belgium do you have a Roamer ?
    I am still struggling to get the right hull at a reasonable price.
    Ivan
  5. Steven H

Steven H New Member

Unfortunately no...

I'm saving up to buy a decent waterski / wakeboarding boat that fits on a 3-axis trailer.

Have been looking at the watercraft 28". Very nice twin-engine boat that can also stand it's own on open waters (i.e. North Sea)
  6. 9lives

9lives Member

Dave,
    I have installed a Teak Parquet pattern called Haddon Hall over the plywood I installed on the deck of our 41 regal. If you want you can e-mail me direct
    myoung@hornerflooring.com and I will share pictures and tips.
    mark
  7. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Yet another miracle solution...

http://www.tek-dek-international.com/

Bought it myself - cost of materials (including special glue) for aft deck of a 37' Riviera - $4600.(includes shipping)
    Installing this winter.
    We'll see.
    Looks fabulous.:p
  8. dockrocker

dockrocker New Member

$4600 :eek:

That's a lot of cabbage for just the materials - yikes, I never imagined it could be that much.
  9. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Apples - Oranges

Yeah, I was a bit "sticker" shocked as well.
    But that price included all (all) of the materials (glue, joints, special parts/tools) needed to cover approx. 130' of decking. Compare that to what I figured would cost me over 10K for just the teak and glue - not to mention the increased costs of installation (much more difficult) and all of the diamond tipped saw blades (thatz how you cut teak :( )
    Heck, the guy at TEK DEK even threw in a custom CAD-CAM design for the deck "layout" - something that came in very handy.
    Bottomline: When it comes to fine marine trappings: Itz always twice as hard as it looks - itz a boat afterall. :p
    Will post results photos soonest.
    Cheers!
    Eric
  10. dockrocker

dockrocker New Member

This thread jogged my memory; I think I read about this stuff in Boating a number of years ago, though I can't remember if it was an advertisement or an article (though Boating's articles and "boat tests" tend to be more like infomercials than objective reporting - guess you have to keep the advertisers happy, but I digress).

Anyway, I wonder how this would work? http://www.plasteak.com/
  11. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

MOre, more...

Funny that you mention that - am looking into the "new" Teak & Holly for the interior. Will report later...
  12. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Installation's a PLus+

Alot better than sitting on the shelf - where half the glue dried out anyway.
    Here there are, the "during" shots - as we "install" the TEK-DEK - yaaah!!!!

Attached Files:

13. 9lives

9lives Member

Tek dek is easier than teak parquet???

Ok Eric, If you say so!!!

Looks like a lot of work unbolting the batteries from the boxes and then stealing all of that gold bullion as weight from FT Knox.

Seriously how is it looking?

We are back from the sunshine state and [plan on working on the boat this weekend to weld shut the old thruhulls we eliminated.

Only 24 inches to melt now!
    mark
  14. roamertim

roamertim Member

Rear Deck flooring - Mine's Nautolex

Hi Dave,
    I've a 38' Regal. The back deck has Nautolex vinyl covering. IT looks great and has held up really well. I have ruined it in the process of renivating my boat, but I won't hesitate to replace it with the same material.
    Tim
  15. 9lives

9lives Member

nautilex vinyl

I would agree that Nautilex wears like iron in a boat invironment. But our deck had rotted below the outside seams of the covering, and was a bear to scrub and keep bright all of the time. When we went through the process of rebuilding the complete sub floor and stringers for the aft deck I wanted something a little more traditional for that area. ASince we had a custom drop cover to shed 95% of the rain and the boat is stored in a heated building during the winter I felt I could go with a teak parquett as a deck covering. It has held up well and gives that area a very appealing look. If I didn't have the covering or a building for winter I never would have done it.
    Erics materials make much more sense for the normal situation..
    Mark
  16. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

More photos of installation....

..., taken by our onboard combat photographer (ps - the following photos are not for the weak at heart).
    No, it's not a job for amateurs. I can do wood, electrical wiring, etc, etc.,...., but installing TEK-DEK requires a full-time effort undertaken by someone who capable of getting the "big picture" even as she or he struggles with the nuances of joining "boards" with SteelMax and accomodating the inconsistencies inherent in any boat deck. :eek:
    For example, to start with - all decking was replaced with marine grade plywood and then we faired surfaces out with fiberglass (especially in areas known to collect water). THEN, we started to plot out our attack.
    Were it not for the full-time participation of my boat "mechanic" - this job would be continuing to lanquish - instead, itz finally done. Photos of that to follow....
    Bottomline: Nautolex is just fine/keep her covered to minimize the inevitable deck wood rot. TEK-DEK looks like a very good LONG-term solution - itz armor plating for what was always the weak spot in Riviera 37/38s: the aft cockpit.
    Stay tuned... :rolleyes:
    Cheers!
    Eric
    "Tin Tonic"
    PS - TEK-DEK actually feels "soft" underfoot; all the while being tough as nails. Got a stain - just sand her out/just like wood. :p

Attached Files:

17. byrsch1949

byrsch1949 New Member

Eric how about posting some finished pictures. Definitely interested in that for Never Enough.
  18. roamertim

roamertim Member

Hi Eric,
    your work prompted me to visit TEK's web site. This material really does seem a better long term solution to my Nautilex. I also have to cover my back deck when leaving the boat, but even so, the lazerette hatch is starting to warp. My real deck was already rebuilt, about 8 years ago, so the hatch is the only "damaged" piece. I am looking forward to seeing your finished project too! After we finish sanding our hull sides and painting, and re-coating our rails and toe-rails again, I think I might follow in your footsteps. Take really good notes, will ya?
    Tim