Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn

Sportfishing boats for cruising?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Altitude, Jan 11, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Did you read the first line of the post #1?
    Hi. Question. Buying a cruising boat, assumed it would be a trawler in the 50-60' range for the east coast, Bahamas and Caribbean.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
  2. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Three out of four of your examples wouldn't even spring to mind to anyone who knows what real trawlers are, and you managed to spell incorrectly the only one that would.
    You'd better follow JWY suggestion, methinks.
  3. Slimshady

Slimshady Senior Member

We have record numbers of people watching this forum, please let's not go down this rabbit hole. We can discuss the pros and cons politely.
    MBevins likes this.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Those brands made boats/yachts that are what a non purpose built commercial fishing trawler was/is. Grand Banks being the most successful trawler builder that built most likely 1000's of trawlers. Trawlers fit a very small percentage of yacht owners needs/wants when considering the yacht industry. The trawlers Judy refers to are from boutique builders that have built well under 50 yachts generally and are at the large end of what we consider a trawler. A typical 1980's 1990's Grand Banks is what everyone thinks when trawlers are mentioned, that IS a trawler. Even Nordhavn who is the most successful displacement hulled yacht builder, when considering numbers of yachts sold, considers their boats expedition yachts. Trawlers have serious drawbacks for what the OP wants to do, draft being the biggest issue. Speed to get out of weather and/or cross within a weather window is another.

It is a SERIOUS trip to take any under 60' yacht to the Carribbean, with a lot of open water and very very few stops along the way. It can be done a lot better in motoryachts most of the time. I do these trips often and have even taken a 62' Princess from the Panama Canal to Fort Lauderdale, running at slow speeds for a lot of the journey, but was glad to have the speed when I needed it to outrun weather. I've also taken a 45' Searay sedan bridge from Fort Lauderdale to St. Croix, also mostly at slow speeds for fuel range, here too I was very glad to have it's cruising speed twice when I needed it to beat weather.

The OP is obviously very green to the entire yachting thing.
    fredn and rocdiver like this.
  5. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

I'd guess that could happen without regard to brand. A 48 displaces what, 75% more than a 42? That's just a WAG, but I could see increased displacement being the major factor in that comparison.

And then yes, maybe a Viking would be heavier that a Brand X of the same size... but that wouldn't seem to me to be the primary determinant.

??

-Chris
  6. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Have you looked at the flybridge Sabres? Given a lottery win, I could be all over their 54 flybridge...

-Chris
  7. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

I would look for a 54' Offshore if I won the lottery, seems to be quality builds but I have never operated one. Yet, lottery ticket in the pocket.:cool:
  8. mapism

mapism Senior Member

"We", who?
    The average readers of boating magazines, who possibly learnt the term from a boat test of a Beneteau swift trawler? o_O
    I would have thought you should know better...
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I wonder if any older Vicem would be in the budget. Gorgeous boats apparently pretty well built
    Eddieclemons likes this.
  10. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

11. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

I am late on this one so sorry if I mention something already mentioned. I am currently considering my last big to me boat and right now the 50’-70’ boat market is irrational. Prices are too high IMO. But I am running out of time (58 years old) so might have to suck it up and buy in this market or keep what I have. I like traditional MYs but not many are produced now. So I have tried to open up what I will accept. So went to the Stuart boat show and toured a 61 enclosed bridge Viking SF. It had railing almost back to the cockpit and stairs to the upper helm. My wife did not like the trip to the bow from the cockpit. Railing is too low and skinny walkways. To me it is not the safest situation when things get interesting and you need fast movement. So a SF is out for me. If my wife was comfortable getting around I would be all over a SF provided I could modify the railing. I am big dinghy guy and usually you can get a large tender on the bow. Then you have the ability to make time when desired. the cockpit makes accessing the water easy. This past summer when diesel was expensive I would run at 22 knots to get over to the Bahamas and once there I went 9 knots to the different islands. So I do think the ability to go 20 knots is nice to have. I would separate Bahamas cruising from Caribbean cruising. I aspire to go to the Carribean on the right boat but don’t know if I am up for it. We will see. Bottom line I think a SF can make a great cruising platform for the right people.
  12. Altitude

Altitude New Member

Agree, the 54 offshore seems like the ultimate boat for me. Maybe a little tall? But otherwise great.
  13. Altitude

Altitude New Member

Cool suggestion, never heard of those, checking them, out. Wow! Seriously beautiful woodwork everywhere. Classic.
  14. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Oi, waddumean?
    At 58, you're barely at half time.
    That's how I used to look at it when I was 58, anyway! :D
    fredn likes this.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You can pop out of the bow hatch on all SF to safely get onto the bow, if need be.
  16. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

That's actually quite funny, I can just see my wife trying to climb through a bow hatch just to access a dock line. Not in a million years.
  17. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Uuhhh... ???

Some makers, and some specific models, have better sidedecks and better railings than others. Eliminating a whole category (SF) based on one model seems a bit harsh. Not uncommon to hoist a tender onto the bow of a sportfish.

Mostly for OP: Convertible, Sedan Bridge, Sport Bridge, etc... often share similar characteristics without the emphasis on fish, so those models may also address shortcomings in a hardcore SF.

-Chris
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

depending on where the bow hatch it may be risky easy to set up a nice ladder and a grab rail on deck. Wouldn’t work if the bow SR has a bed under the hatch obviously but otherwise a safe option
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Every SF I've run has a berth under the bow hatch. It's really easy actually to pop out of it......usually standing on the bed, the hatch is at waist level.
  20. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

My wife prefers standing on the bed and climbing through the hatch to walking around the side if it's a rough day. She keeps an old blanket in the port hanging locker to protect the comforter.