Click for Mag Bay Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Perko

Sportfishing boats for cruising?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Altitude, Jan 11, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

I could have said earlier, but didn't think to...

Our "Sedan Bridge" is sorta similar to a sportfish/convertible, although the cockpit is a bit smaller and the bridge extends over part of the cockpit. And it has some swoopy styling and some froo-froo stuff inside. Kind of declares we're not all that interested in fishing, although we do, occasionally (or at least probably will, once I can get our trolling valves programmed for the slower speeds we need around here).

Anyway, we have a portlight in the guest bunk room, one in the guest shower, 4 in the bow stateroom, and larger "windows" on both sides of the master stateroom. No portlights in the guest head. An overhead (but translucent, because of the angle) "light" in the master head.

Not really dark and cave-like down below.

Plus big windows all around (360°) the saloon and galley.

-Chris
  2. Altitude

Altitude New Member

Wow, I really appreciate all of the information. Overall seems like if you’re a fisherman a sport fish works fine for cruising, but since I’m not, (currently) probably best to go with the special purpose trawler rig. Although I must admit, as a guy, when they refer to those big Vikings as “battle wagons” it really makes me want one.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

And, when you get caught in 8' seas in an 8 knot trawler for 24 hours, you'll wish you had a SF that could run and get out of it. Or having to do overnight voyages because it's the only way you can get there.
    SplashFl, cleanslate and bayoubud like this.
  4. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Or you will be glad that you are in a boat with a hull designed to take big seas for extended periods without getting bashed around. However, if speed is a criteria, then you might consider semi-displacement or fast trawlers which are still better designed for big seas for long stretches.
    cleanslate likes this.
  5. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Yeah, that must be the reason why for all serious commercial fishermen SFs are the boats of choice, and none of them use trawlers instead. :rolleyes:
    If only Capt. Billy Tyne would have had a SF, he and his crew would have made it back to Gloucester in no time! :D
  6. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

And.....Let the games begin!:D
    chesapeake46 likes this.
  7. Eddieclemons

Eddieclemons Member

I think the pros have answered your question about the pros and cons of each. We went through the same thoughts a couple of years ago, and it came down to I just wasn't ready for the minivan lifestyle.
  8. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

Don't settle. Battle wagon aside, as that is so purpose built. You may be able to find a Maritimo or Riviera or SeaRay that has "the look" of a "sport fish" with the cruisability, ventilation, light flooding in, stabilized that will give you the look, the turn of speed and the cruise-ability of a MY or Trawler.
    fredn, bayoubud and MBevins like this.
  9. Slimshady

Slimshady Senior Member

Let's not go down that rabbit hole. I've owned both types and each has their place.
  10. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

A sportfisher is a convertible design like a sedan bridge but rigged to fish, You can remove the fishing gear or buy one that is not rigged to fish. If you want a pilothouse buy a fast trawler if doing long crossings or you will be running at night. My Gal does not like running at night, so limits our choice. Being in NW Fl requires a long crossing when going South, a minimum 16kt cruise speed depending on where you depart from heading to Clearwater to run in daylight.
    fredn and cleanslate like this.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Commercial fisherman have the crew to run all the night. The vast majority of owners have no desire to do an overnight passage, nor the skill nor the proper amount of experienced crew to safely do overnight passangers either. Each has their place as other people have said, but you couldn't give me a displacement hulled 8 knot trawler where you're down to 5-6 knots SOG in a head current. I don't care what hull you have under you, nor what stabilization, 8-10' seas is downright miserable in a 60' boat and very unsafe if any of the necessary equipment breaks (loss of steering, an engine, autopilot, etc. etc. etc.) and rough seas IS when things generally break.
    2chill and bayoubud like this.
  12. Hpozzuoli

Hpozzuoli New Member

I had a 42 sea ray sedan prior to my 48 Viking. The sea ray definetly got pushed around more, you felt the landings more and even pounded at times. The Viking never pounded and displaced some serious water plowing thru chop and short swell.

to me the bigggest test was this: at 175lbs the sea ray would dip when I stepped on it to board. The Viking never moved.
    Capt Ralph likes this.
  13. JWY

JWY Senior Member

"... The vast majority of owners have no desire to do an overnight passage, nor the skill nor the proper amount of experienced crew to safely do overnight passangers either...."

Capt J: Everyone who has read your posts for years knows that you hate trawlers. But please, don't make sweeping and erroneous grand statements like the one quoted above. I have sold at least 100 full displacement trawlers and I don't know of one owner who fits your description above. Please stick with your opinions for which you have experience.
  14. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Uh-oh...:rolleyes:....

Get yourself a nice New England Lobster Yacht also know as a Down East boat. Many have the speed when you want it, but can be run at 8/10 knot cruise . Eastbay, Sabre, Duffy, Black Cove, Krogen Express 49 or 52,Older Hinckley's etc.

To me they are the best of both worlds , Sportfish and trawler. IMO, stick with traditional Running gear, no pods.
    bayoubud likes this.
  15. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Call me crazy but I believe this is why there are many different yacht types, models and builder's. If there was a "one size fits all" there would only be one. Decide what your wants and needs are and choose accordingly.

I see lots of trawlers coming through Alaska all summer long. Many are cruising the Inside Passage and started in Puget Sound. So most are doing 1,500 mile round trips or more. I see some fantastic amenities on those boats and very happy owners. For me, I'm a sportfish guy but that's just me. To each his own.
    fredn, T.T., 2chill and 1 other person like this.
  16. Altitude

Altitude New Member

Well, since it came up, I’ve been on a couple Sabre 48’s that seemed pretty sweet, but I wasn’t sure how well they were suited for Bahamas/Caribbean cruising (running gear debates aside) are boats like this what people mean when they say “fast trawlers”? E.g. I know about Fleming and such but they don’t seem very fast. And the princess/sun seekers types aren’t really my style. :) is there such a thing as a trawler that can genuinely cruise at 15 or so knots? I’m an American, I don’t mind burning some gas occasionally.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
  17. Altitude

Altitude New Member

I love the sabres, but they kind of market them like it’s something the Kennedy’s would take out for a picnic, like they aren’t genuine cruising boats (my perception) so I’ve always been a little confused as to what you can really do with them as they actually seem well built and capable.
  18. Altitude

Altitude New Member

Ha! Ouch. But true. I’m 50 so I guess I’m there…..but at least I want two engines, maybe they will sound fast.
    fredn likes this.
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Do you realize the title of this thread is "Sportfishing boats for cruising"???????? Then you come in here and start talking trawler trawler trawler in a Sportfish thread.

WHY do you personally attack me? The vast majority of powerboat owners (all types of powerboats) have no desire to do an overnight passage, nor the skill nor the proper amount of experienced crew to safely do overnight passages either... WHO said anything about just trawler owners or your tiny group of 100 trawler owners? There are thousands and thousands of old Grand Banks, Albin, Kady Krogen, Ocean Alexander etc. trawler owners that can barely navigate their way down the ICW. What about all of the owners that stepped up from a 20-25' boat to a 45-60' motoryacht without any formal training. Same with 9 out of 10 powerboat owners of ALL types. 9 out of 10, >40' powerboat owners are not knowledgeable enough to do an overnight passage safely.

Also please tell me how your trawler customers who travel as a couple are both qualified to do a long ocean passage, and can get enough sleep on a multi-day, non-stop trip, to even remotely resemble the USCG safe manning requirements (which aren't required on private yachts, BUT should be and are there for safety.) Bottom line is they can't get a proper amount of rest. Even with 3 qualified crew it's really hard to do more than 36-48 hours straight and maintain a proper watch with everyone getting enough sleep.

WHY is it that the only type of boat and opinion relevant to you is a trawler. Trawlers are for a very select group of people, a small fraction of powerboaters actually. Most don't have good access to the water (swim platform or cockpit). Most have drafts too deep to enjoy a lot of the prime cruising grounds like the Bahamas. Most are simply too slow for the majority of owners schedules. Why do you think most of the displacement yacht trawler builders have switched to building motoryachts, fast trawlers, or are hanging on by a shoe string? Plus what you save in fuel, you piss away maintaining the miles of teak and varnish, even on the fast trawlers, tons of teak, varnish, and stainless steel to maintain plus additional engine and generator maintenance due to running twice as many hours for each voyage.

I've run 100s of trawlers over the years. For most of your typical buyers of "fuel savings" yachts that people buy under 55', a power cat makes the most sense.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    rocdiver and bayoubud like this.
  20. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Getting back to your original post and points: how many staterooms are you looking for? Do you prefer more inside seating and lounge area or do you like to sit outside? To give you some comparison thoughts, my older 54 Sportfish cruises very nicely. I can cruise at 8 knots burning 6 gal/hr or 28 knots at 80% load and about 80 gals/hr. Or 35 knots if for some reason you are really in a hurry. I carry a 14’ RIB on the bow and my cockpit is partially covered by bridge overhang plus another 18” by an awning. You can easily cover more cockpit with awning if you like. What I do not have is a lower helm station, it is flybridge only for running.
    So it all comes down to what is the most important features and function for you.
    chesapeake46 likes this.