Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for JetForums Click for Furuno Click for Cross

Sportfishing boats for cruising?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Altitude, Jan 11, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Altitude

Altitude New Member

Hi. Question. Buying a cruising boat, assumed it would be a trawler in the 50-60' range for the east coast, Bahamas and Caribbean. But noticing recently there are a lot of sport fisher boats - particularly Viking and Haterras in the early 2000 vintages in the same size range that look like a lot of boat for the money (sub $750k in many cases). What are the thoughts on using these for cruising? I don't really have any interest in fishing. Seems like the problems to me are: kind of marginal dingy storage, uncovered/unshaded cockpits, and only flybridge helms, and they can burn some gas - but are also fast. So..... just wondering what thoughts are on this? thank you.
    Drifter likes this.
  2. CaboFly

CaboFly Member

In the Sportfish segment there is a lot that changed in that 2000 to say 2007 time frame. Mechanical to Common Rail Diesels. Gelcoat issues for a few builders during that era as well. I like a Sportfish for cruising but you would want to get a good understanding of the segment before buying.
    bayoubud and RT46 like this.
  3. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Attributes of what make trawlers good cruising boats are their hull shape (full or semi-displacement), fuel capacity, fuel consumption, and live-aboard conveniences such as water maker, inverters, good stowage, longterm refrigerator/freezer storage. etc.
  4. Altitude

Altitude New Member

That is really good advice, thank you very much. I was wondering why they were so cheap.
  5. Altitude

Altitude New Member

Yes I think you are right, I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something. Thank you for the advice.
  6. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

We had a "convertible" (sportfish wannabee with amenities) before, and now we have a sedan bridge (longer bridge deck, aft) and both have suited us for cruising.

Dinghy storage can be an issue... on any boat. On our styles = Stern? Bow? So far, we've loaded the dinghy on a davit on the swim platform, and the current version of that includes a hydraulic swim platform. Pros and cons with stern carry. (As with bow carry.) More pros and cons with hydraulic lift. (Or bow davits.) Not insurmountable, but thought (and maintenance) required.

We usually only hang out in our cockpit when the boat and the current sun angle provides natural shade. Otherwise, and much more often were on the bridge... which is covered with a hardtop, enclosed, and air conditioned.

In our case, stairs to the bridge (not a ladder) is a mandatory feature. Makes it easier to carry a tray of cocktails and hors d'oeuvres up. (Vikings and Hatts you've seen likely don't have that feature.)

We often cruise at "trawler" speeds, but can/do go faster when sea states or other factors require. Diesel consumption at "trawler" speeds can be quite acceptable... and then on plane, it is what it is.

You can solve many potential problems during your shopping phases, so you're right to reach out and ask...

-Chris
    cleanslate likes this.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The sport fishing type boats are designed to go fast (planning hulls). You can slow down to save fuel, but the engines are designed to make high horse power, not designed to pinch fuel. The later electronic engines are lots better at reducing fuel consumption but still not a fuel pincher. And then, at slow speed, your more bobbing than cruising.

Real displacement hulls will offer more interior. They can be more comfortable. The hulls are designed for slower speeds and the engines are better at pinching fuel.
    If your not and never will be in a hurry this is the better LSD* hull.

<----- We went the motor yacht route. Old boat, Larger cabins built on a fishing boat hull. Has a deep V hull WITH a keel. Still has no fuel economy mode (poor to worse). But she can move when needed.
    Our larger gen-set (of two) has a Isuzu engine, making about the same HP, of most small to medium trawler engines.

To me, The cockpit is a large factor for exploring the islands with. Easy access to a dink and direct access to that clear water.
    Since we did not win the Lotto (yet), have to settle with a modified larger swim platform.

Yes there are cockpits options for them all. Factory or hang on.

*LSD
    Long-range
    Slow-speed
    Displacement
  8. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I cruised quite a bit with my 53c. Really, my driving issue was two components: first was the valuable space "lost" to the fishing cockpit, be it living or storage or added amenities. Second was steps, everywhere. Hell, you had to go down a set of steps to remember why you were headed up a set of steps.

That being said, I never should have sold her. I should have kept her as well.
  9. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

I did the cruising on a sport-fishing boat for 5 years, but on a small scale:
    Albin 28TE. (TE for Tournament Express)
    It worked out great: the big aft fishing cockpit was great for lounging and entertaining, very comfortable for one couple on longer trips, or 3-4 guys on short hops.
    Economical doing trawler speeds @ 8,5 knots with the single inboard diesel, or run at cruise speed 17 knots to the Bahamas and back. The deep V hull handled the seas well for it's size.
    I never fished a minute on that boat, but it did cruising very well, Dual Purpose indeed.
    9C93DD03-A531-4ECB-9EEF-4F3F2A818801.jpeg
    fredn likes this.
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Sportfishers / Convertibles make great tropical cruising boat because of the cockpit giving you easy access to the water.

They also allow you to run from weather if needed yet they can be run at hull speed for excellent fuel economy on longer distances.

their hull shape is designed for running in rougher whether, at least the real SF like Viking, Hatteras, Ocean etc

adding the required equipment like water maker, inverter etc is no problem.

Sportfish vs MY vs trawler is really a matter of personal preference, each can do the job
  11. jsschieff

jsschieff Senior Member

What would deter me from using a sport fishing boat to cruise is the lack of light belowdecks. Most sport fishing boats more than a few years old have no portlights in cabins under the foredeck. I find the cabins a bit dark and claustrophobic. Additionally, most sport fishing boats have just a small bow rail or even no bow rail on the foredeck. Not ideal if you are trying to anchor or handle midship and bow lines in an rolly open anchorage that is common in the Bahamas.

I am often surprised at the high running angle of many sport fishing boats that thunder by my place on the ICW, with their bows high in the air and their sterns deep in the water producing prodigious wakes. The engines are really straining to push the boat at a good clip at such an inefficient attitude.
    cleanslate likes this.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

In shallow water, the angle does increase when trying to apply HP to the water.
    OTOH, it is some angle that raises the forward V for the boat to cut some chop down for the boats comfort.
    You can imagine that same hull idling in the slop. Some models, not pretty.

I have witnessed some port-light mods including deck hatches. If your not playing half court b-ball up there, install deck hatches (facing aft) up there.

Safety or hand rails are a style. They can always be added or modified for your use.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a sport hull; just some cruises better slower than others. Sadly, it is not the later performance big fishing boats.
    Still, the range and MPG varies on the hull. The ultimate MPG will be the trawler with Displacement hull. I still dream of pushing to the lower Bahamas, just going to take a lot of fuel.
    I have the room for provisions but at near 2 gallons a mile, not the economy.
    fredn likes this.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Now, If your rich and famous, you may not have issue with MPG.
    And,, I would like to offer my services as your next experienced dish washer and wanna-be CTO..
  14. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Some don’t know how to use the trim tabs… but yes 15’ of water or less is not good for running fast . But many still do it.
  15. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

We fish and cruise in our sport fish all over the Gulf of Mexico and have enjoyed it for over 20 years . It lacks a lot of the interior amenities of a motor yacht but we enjoy having the large cockpit when we're traveling.
  16. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Wow , you really got a lot of the long time extremely knowledgeable people to respond to your post.
    Everyone has great points .
    He are some of mine that came to mind.
    First off , I have the same feeling as you do towards the Sportfisherman boats.
    They are very attractive with the eye and the speed is sure nice .
    But it comes with a price and aggravation .
    Big engines maxed out , HP and RPM wise= big money , big fuel bill and possibly big down time .
    The manufacturers you mentioned are packing all they can, motor wise, into those boats you are looking at.
    Those engines in the vessels you are looking at , were run hard in general . Some with open check books and good service.
    Many with closed check books and poor service .
    Also many of the boats were run by a hired Captain and crew , who could care less , for the most part , on how hard they were run. Only worry was how to get to the fish …fast.
    In tournaments you are fishing against the clock, lines in -lines out at “X” time and day. It’s all about speed.

Yeah , no dual helm, little natural light bellow, where to put the tender?, tight space, poor access in the engine room, higher insurance rates, much more fuel..

I would be cautious when looking at used Sportfish boats.
    Consider the boats furtherst away from the popular Ocean inlets …
    Buy a SF from the Chesapeake, or Great Lakes…lol.

The various trawlers offer everything you want. Many have transom swim platform with transom door to get to the water or tender.
    Many have hoists and davits to store the tender.
    Many have dual helms, aft cockpit deck with overhang bridge deck ti keep you out of the sun etc.
    Trawlers, in general have much more room in the engine room for service and access to all the engines and mechanicals.

And they usually have nice low Rpm low stressed engines , non turbo, that just chug along and run forever.
    Helps to keep that aggravation level down, no matter how much money you care to spend.
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

not much you can do about the lack of windows and portholes one most sportfishes., indeed it is unpleasant. Yes a bow rail is a must on a cruising boat and can be added.

as to getting up on plane in shallow water I ve never had an issue with MY so I don’t think SF would be different. 3 to 4 feet under the keel is the minimum I want. The 116 I run now pops up nicely in 9’ of water (5 1/2 draft). If anything it s at hull speed that speed drops by as much as 1 to 2 knots in shallow water. Even my 53 drops from 9 to 7 1/2 knots with only 3’ under the keel.

i think the key to any planning boat whether MY or SF is to have the biggest possible engines, as long as access is still good. This way you can run on plane when needed without stressing the engines. I try to avoid running boats over 60-65% load. Can diesels be run 75% all day? Sure. But you can bet they ll last longer at 60/65% as long as the boat is fully on plane.
  18. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

It's not all that difficult to find a convertible with portlights in all below-deck cabins/heads, full bow rail... and the biggy... even a front window for the saloon.

Might not be Vikings or Hatts or Cabos, but some are out there.

-Chris
  19. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

My Sportfish has a port light in each of the 3 staterooms. Master even has two of them. Great for light and getting nice ventilation thru-breeze on the one day a year I don’t have rain. I do not have a front window in the salon though. Doubtful I would buy another Sportfish with a front window. Too prone to leaks and you lose a lot of space for galley cabinets or similar. My galley has a very large commercial refer/freezer setup that is up high and fwd in the galley and would not be possible with a window.
  20. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

We traveled on sport fishers we owned to S Fl, Keys, and Bahamas. Of course we fished and liked the speed, fuel was much less back then too. I think an enclosed bridge SF would make a great cruiser too. Surprising how economical a sport fisher with big engines can be at 8 knots. Had a Hatt 50C with 3412's that burned a little less than 8gph at 8 kts! Fuel burn went up fast beyond that speed!
    CWV likes this.