Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for Mulder

Sport fisher vs trawler

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by jeff91, Jun 21, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

You can't get away with no bow rails on the west coast. Lack of marinas, more remote anchorages, some not so well protected anchorages, and no bow rails would equal a quick dip in the ocean. :(

Not to mention all the bow/pulpit casting for billfish (when they arrive) and just overall more total boat usage for the different conditions.

East coast and tournament style = all about the cockpit/mezzanine and fighting chair

West coast = cockpit/foredeck/bow pulpit, large RIB (13'+), toe rails, and large ondeck bait tanks.
  2. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Matter of opinion, I guess, but I would not run without that anchor secured. If the windlass brake fails, that anchor will go right through the bottom of your boat as you drive over it. As to getting the lanyard off? I try to watch the conditions and take it off before I need to anchor. If its too rough, I put my wife on the helm at a slow idle into the seas and go forward myself. I'm fortunate to have pretty good walkways. I've seen some boats that make me wonder how they go forward even sitting at the dock.
  3. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Fathom makes a sturdy "fast trawler" that has a drop down transom that becomes a convenient swim platform for hauling in the big ones.

Judy
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I like that little boat. Gotta be one of the best bangs for the little bucks going.
  5. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Here's a boat I'd totally forgotten about. The Ranger Tugs' R29.

It fits on a trailer (just!), has good space and should be economic to run. I think it looks nicer than a small Nordic Tug. A very neat package for such a small boat.

R-29 | Rangertugs
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If you're limited to 43' length overall, you're going to probably gain the largest boat with a sportfish with no pulpit and no swim platform. I think Egg Harbor made a 43' without swim platform or pulpit......All Cabo's come with a pulpit, but the swim platform was an option that probably a 1/3-1/2 came with. A 40' Cabo is pretty room and a very capable boat.

Most all of the trawlers have both a swim platform and pulpit, which would net you something like a 36' Grand Banks.........