Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta

Spencer 87 Launch

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by CaptEvan, Oct 10, 2011.

1. CaptEvan

CaptEvan Senior Member

Talk about looking fast while sitting still, or even being towed!

Beyond the gorgeous lines and stunning hull color comes the large corral: (4) Cat C18's coupled to ZF4000 pods for 4,600 ponies. Target is over 40kts.

Attached Files:

2. CaptEvan

CaptEvan Senior Member

A few more images ...

Attached Files:

3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'm assuming that's the new "Betsy" to replace the older one docked in Lighthouse Point, FL. However, I'm really questioning 4 C18 cats, and 4 pods in the water on a boat that size. It seems to me that the cruise speed should be pretty darn close with 2 16v2000's 2000hp and conventional shafts......The fuel burn would be the same...... 2 16v2000's burn 300gph at 80%, 2-2400hp 16v2000's would burn 320 gph at 80% and 4 c-18's burn 320 gph at 80%load ( 1150bhp's). I guess it depends on the cruise speed with the 4 pods. She's a beautiful boat, wonder why they're towing her instead of running her.
  4. CaptEvan

CaptEvan Senior Member

Just moving her from the Manns Harbor facility to their completion yard in Wanchese. Sea trials are a ways off yet.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Those drives are going to be a mess for anyone where the boat normally sits. The IPS drives don't like any scaling on the propellors, otherwise it REALLY knocks down speed. I've seen a loss of 200rpms with just a film/scaling on the propellors and nothing else, not 1 barnacle. 8 propellors to clean every 2 weeks........hmmmmm It's a really nice looking SF though.

I didn't know that ZF could marry that much HP to their drives, I thought it was around 700hp like the Zues and IPS.
  6. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Those four C18's have her sitting a bit low in the aft. But nice lines and beautiful hull color.
  7. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

low

CaptTom, a bit low I would agree. look at the photo of the transom and see the position of those 4 transom / cockpit drains and then see how near they must be to the waterline, if not below.

Great looking boat and what a great choice in color but like CaptJ says a pair of 2400's would be my preferred choice.

I was in Wanchese last week but did not see her, where is it being finished off at.
  8. captainviv

captainviv Member

it does look like she is sitting low in aft , but , i am sure fuel tanks are forward . once these are filled and all other extras aboard , will make her level out. it is one really nice looking boat !
  9. KismetLRC

KismetLRC New Member

Beautiful lines....
    I agree, she looks like she's sitting a little low back there.
    But, I only slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Actually, she's not sitting low. Compare the picture of the transom (out of the water pic) and where the drains are in relation to those little spray rails on the side of the hull. She's sitting at least 4" above the cockpit drains, and probably more. Add a tower, outriggers, electronics, and it might be a different story, however I would guess the fuel tanks are foward to the engines.
  11. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

What a fantastic looking boat, but I agree with the rest on the powertrain.
  12. 84far

84far Senior Member

Firstly, if anyone is thinking of turning their 87' S/F into a trailerable boat that they can keep in the back yard... well have fun. :D

betsy to water - YouTube

I believe the Pods/motors are staggered to make room for maintenance, and would be surprised if she’s running with any fluids and the interior finished.

Beautiful lines.

Far