Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for Perko

South Florida in the cone for it's first Tropical Storm this season.

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Capt J, Jul 28, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

2ED2506B-EB74-4B95-9D09-5485765F5383.jpeg 14BFE6D3-500B-4201-92AF-6A2C642E5A7B.jpeg

Here are 2 pictures of Southport Marina in Southport, NC. Further up the river at Port City Marina a 64 footer sunk at the dock. My boat is at Port City and sustained no damage. Place on the ICW had a gutter come down and some shingles stripped. They is speculation that a tornado did the damage at Southport
  2. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

3. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

Messed up and edited, got it right now. Sorry
  4. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

It's coming though New England now. Just starting to see gusts near 30 in Portland, and expecting 40 by midnight.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Not a single report of sustained hurricane force wind anywhere. I ve looked at every buoy and coastal station ... 58 kts was the strongest wind reading, that was at federal point, north end of Blqd head. No hurricane force winds. Not in the Bahamas, not among the east coast. The cat 1 classification came from a few recon Measurement limited to the NE quadrant.

Bottom line they wanted to make sure people paid attention.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

In post 101, that is a dock failure, not a surge. NO BOATS ON SHORE.
    Sadly, I can not make additional comments on this.
    PM me for personal comments.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Some reports coming in from my friends;

Bull River & HY80 in Savannah GA reported “light rain for about a hour. From about 11am too 3pm it was cloudy. Sun back out after 1500 local. Water up maybe an extra foot at high tide

Murrells InletSC reported No problems here, non event.

Beaufort Marine center. Inland from Beaufort NC reported the worst;

Some rain on & off. Some stiff wind. Good evening thunder shower.

I can only assume that big blob of rain finally came on shore north of the eye and made some kind of surge with wind up the Jersey coast.

This weather inland is beyond my reaches of contacts. Here is when we have to rely on the sad reporting of the local news and weather reporting. More or less similar to the FaceBook report we received earlier in this thread.

Down lines and power outages would be common in the first real weather that anybody has received in a while. Old limbs (damaged before?) and poorly maintained lines that can not be cleaned or serviced regularly would be downed by a nice squall.

No, this storm was a non event.

I have to report; One causality has been reported inland. No details at all on this.

I have two more contacts in NJ that I have not heard from. Not worth a call, waiting for an e-mail response that I just sent (just remembered them).
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

yep that has to be tornado. It s what happens here in Miami with Irma which passed 100 miles s weakening system. The 100+ boats sunk and the damage to piers was not consistent with the storm....
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Ah, I understand now, False news to get peoples attention...
    Then he next time NWS/NHC calls wolf ????
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

It would have been much better to explain that while this was a TS.... it had a large circulation that would take time to wind down, which could spawn tornadoes far away in bands and would have far reached effect. But that would mean trusting that the average person has an attention span long enough to listen. Very unlikely.
  11. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

The NHC and NWS as well as world organizations have criteria on which they decide. It's not on winds at ground level. It's not on sea buoys. They make the decisions and they decided it was a hurricane twice during it's run for brief times. Now, you want to make up your own definition and decide you know better than they do. Regardless, you don't have the control, so officially it was briefly a hurricane but it did most of the damage as a tropical storm.
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The damage has nothing to do with classification

educate yourself, it has everything to do with sustained winds at sea level... recon either use drop sonde or extrapolate from flight level winds... or in the absence of recon like when a storm is too far for recon to get in, they use satellite imagery to estimate the surface winds.

The surface wind estimate or observation determination the classification. Nothing else.
  13. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

The officials in charge call it a Hurricane. I value their opinion more than I do yours, thank you. It officially was a hurricane, regardless of what you say. It will go down in history that way.

Don't do all your "educate yourself" crap. I know what you're saying but it's completely irrelevant. What you observed doesn't determine anything.
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

“The NHC and NWS as well as world organizations have criteria on which they decide. It's not on winds at ground level”

actually at the risk of stating the obvious... the N in NHC and NWS stand for “National”. No world. World is the WHO and we all know how that turned out :)

look up Saffir Simpson scale and see what it is based on.
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Jax FL got some interesting weather this evening. From 1.75 to 2.25 inch hail storm from the west to mid town. Thousands with out electricity.
    Another spot of Jax, a nice rain down pour, again from the west caved in a doughnut shop.
    All else, damage up north from a fair tropical storm. Typical damage from such down pours once the mas of the rain came on shore.
    Nobody has yet recorded Hurricane force winds up the US coast.
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

That is funny.
    Nobody observed or recorded any hurricane force winds.
  17. Cruz

Cruz Member

It's tough to see any marina damage, let alone at a place you know and love. Southport Marina is a favorite stop for us and countless cruisers along the ICW. Here's part of the note Manager Hank Whitley sent out late last night:

"I’m not gonna sugar-coat it y’all, it’s been a rollercoaster of a day for the Southport Marina team... Hurricane Isaias showed us it’s NE quadrant eyewall, along with a possible tornado overnight. Our docks are devastated, boats are scattered, facility has significant damage, but our spirit is very much in tact. We have navigated a myriad of issues today, with the help of SO many kind people! We have an awesome team that truly cares about our customers and our business. We also have an incredible bunch of customers who have poured their hearts into supportive texts, calls, and emails that helped me through a few private breakdowns along the way today... We are strong, we are proud, we are resilient, and we WILL rebuild. But first, we have lots and lots of pieces to pick up... We are well underway with our cleanup efforts .."
  18. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

The entire marina broke loose. Similar to Ft. Pierce Municipal marina floating docks broke loose years back in a hurricane and many boats were piled up against a bridge.
  19. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

This storm had a significant disparity contrasting upper level winds (where the Hurricane Hunters fly and measure) as compared to what folks on the ground experienced. Then there was this one cell in the NE quadrant that we saw showing its own vortex periodically. Obviously that portion of the system was lurking as a potential for tornados. I think that's what happened, what caused the impacts. If that cell came through your zip code you were in harms way. If you missed it (like all of Florida) you were in pretty good shape, although a 30 MPH wind can still break a tree that hasn't been maintained well.
  20. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Once one section goes, that weight and added load to the next section begins a domino. This is somewhat avoidable, but it requires more investment and more thoughtful engineering. I know nothing about the construction methods used at Southport as I typically run through the Frying Pan and miss this area, but it's a bit of a head scratcher, both the damages as well as the volume of boats left in the water with plenty of notice.

I'll scratch my head and not cast aspersions.