Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Glendinning Click for Cross

Some info/advice pls

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by mp09, Oct 6, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Thanks guys. Government and bureaucratic regs and legalese boggle this little brain, especially what doesn't apply to my situation. I've always held a license (no z-card) which is now combined into the MMC. Those have always been referred to as my ticket. Never thought about it from the other end. Marmot, you've got a good mind for that stuff. Thanks
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

The guy who sold me a lottery ticket said I was going to win. Besides, all the green cards in the world won't get him a USCG engineer license, even a lower-level limited license.

I see that SIU and MM&P both have inland and Great Lakes divisions for lower-level limited license holders, I was not aware of that. You probably didn't get much satisfaction from MM&P because the union is predominately for and on behalf of unlimited license holders. The limited group is under the radar. All of that is irrelevant in this case anyway as the guy says he holds a NZ Class 3 which is an engineering OOW certificate for unlimited vessels.

His is an operational level certificate which is not valid for service at management level (chief engineer or US 1st A/E or international 2nd Eng.) and unless he uses it to work on a yacht by obtaining a flag state yacht limited endoresment, it is just a piece of paper in the US.

That is because the document only lists entry level ratings such as OS for the deckies and wiper for the black gang, and food handler (FH) for the stewards department. Once you get a higher unlicensed rating, or certain other qualifications, they are added along with any physical limitations. The licence is not shown because a license is a license and an MMD is an MMD.

I have a 100 ton master as well as an unlimited chief engineer endorsed for steam/motor/gas turbine but my MMD says OS, any unlicensed rating in engine department, FH, first aid provider, lifeboatman, tank-PIC(DL) and includes a vison waiver since I wear glasses. Those ratings/quals are there because if I were to allow my license to lapse I could still sail unlicensed with those qualifications. Certifications required by STCW, such as First aid provider, tankerman PIC and lifeboatman are also listed with limitations (if any) along with the license on the STCW certificate.
  3. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Thanks but it is just the residue of the years of crawling through the maze of rules, reguations, and horse manure that stand between a sailor and a piece of paper.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Well put.
  5. jdcavo

jdcavo New Member

Non-U.S. citizens admitted for permanent residence (green card) can get unlicensed rating endorsement (what was formerly put on the MMD or Z-Card). They can also get a deck officer endorsement (license) as Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels (OUPV or 6-pack). All other deck licenses require U.S. citizenship.

All require a TWIC.

James D. Cavo
    U.S. Coast Guard
    Mariner Credentialing Program
    Policy Division (CG-5434)
    James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Looks like we now have (at least) 2 reg. experts on YF. This is good. Welcome to YF jdcavo
  7. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Thank you John, nice to see you here.

Marmot ... MEBA C/E ex CMES