Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay

Solar/Wind/Inverter and Batteries for my Hatteras

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by wsdemmer, Mar 28, 2011.

1. wsdemmer

wsdemmer New Member

Call me a little different but I would like to be able to run part of my Hatt on an Inverter with a bank of batteries charged by solar panels and two wind generators. Has anybody done this on their Hatt? I have an aft stateroom (part of the extension below deck) that I am converting to a work shop and storage area. I thought I might be able to put the battery bank and inverter in this back area. Any thoughts? My Hatt is back in Aventura (Ft. Lauderdale) after being in the yard for a BT, Bottom and Ocean LED lights. Anyone have a good supplier for solar/wind/inverter stuff?
    thanks
    shane
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Easy as long as don't try to run air con on inverter

What size hatt?

I wouldn't put the bAtteries at the stern (too much weight)... On my 53 MY i added 8 golf cart batteries under the galley. This gives me about 20 hours running lights , fridge, etc

I recharge with the genny, takes about 3 to 4 hours, but with enough $ you can use solar and wind although it would take years to pay itself in fuel savings

For inverter i like Magnum, made in America. I and many others have had issues with xantrex. Outback is also popular with many hatt owners
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Depending on the size of the hatteras, the stern may be ok for the batteries. Keep in mind that wind generators are very noisy. I don't think you'd be able to run A/C or much of it this way. I too have replaced a lot of Xantrex products after a short time 2-4 years and would recommend going with something else. I also concur that it would take years and years to make up the cost. On a 75' Hatteras MY I used to run, we averaged a little over 1 gph, running the 20kw Onan for days and this is with all of the a/c's running and everything else.
  4. wsdemmer

wsdemmer New Member

I bought a 74' Hatteras that was an original 61 so it has an aft extension. I figured that the weight might be a good constant (not furthest aft but right after the original aft) to help in following seas. I have a 500 gal tank below what was the aft stateroom bed (base of bed) that will now be a work table. I was looking at some of the more quiet units along with 4-6 panels to help charge the batteries. Thanks for the input on inverters and batteries. I am starting from scratch. I have 2- 20kw generators with both having 9-10,000 hours each. They are both running fine and give full output when checked at the survey. 1-20kw pretty much runs everything on board. I have not run the full calculations for comparison but I also do not have a large battery bank either (hence the amount of hours on the gennys). Either way I will need to buy a battery bank and inverter (I think?). All help and info greatly appreciated.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

on that boat i'd still try to keep the batteries forward. there should be room outside the stringers in teh genny room.

again, it all depends on what was done to the boat over the years. many older hatts have two battery banks, one per engine and one of the bank is used for house loads. Keep it that way and add an inverter bank.

personally i like golf cart batteries (6v) as they are designed for deep cycling and they are cheap. On the downside, you have to add water every 1 to 2 month so they need to be easy to reach.

the ideal set up is to be able to last about 20 to 24 hours on batteries (house and inverter) before you need to start the gennies. on my 53, that means 8 golf cart batteries, about 880AH at 12V, most of that is used up by the 18 cu ft fridge / freezer. on the 70 footer that i run, I installed 16 golf cart batteries (880AH total alothough at 24 volts) and we also get 18 to 20 hours running 3 sets of sub zero fridge and freezer, one fridge ice maker and entertainment center.

obviously you can't use the total capacity, only 40 to 50%.

so depending on your need, you will need to generate 300 to 500AH a day between solar and wind. doable but not cheap... of course on hot nights away from teh dock you will need to run the genset for air cons.

on the plus side, those older hatts have good ventilation so during the day with the doors and windows open you dont need AC when on the hook except on calm days (rare here in so Fl)
  6. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Here are a few articles you may find of interest:

http://www.aboutrving.com/rr_one.php

http://www.oceannavigator.com/content/battery-revolution

http://www.naviclub.com/Test_comparatif_eoliennes_marine.pdf

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Starting,

And wind gens don't have to be all that noisy any more. There was one I saw running on a sailboat in a marina in the T&Cs that was so quiet that I almost couldn't hear it spinning till I walked right up to it.

It was called a D400. http://www.duogen.co.uk/d400/images/D400man.pdf