Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Perko Click for Mag Bay

Simrad autopilots

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Bamboo, Sep 16, 2010.

?

Do you like your Simrad AP system?

1. Yep - it's great.

11 vote(s)
    78.6%
  2. It's okay

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. No- I'd rather have something else

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Do you have a newer unit/system? Do you like it? Please let us know what you think if you have a boat between 40 and 80 feet.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Thankfully I've never had a problem beyond a dealer not calibrating it properly. I do however remember reading an article in P&MY a year or two back about a guy who had big problems. The entire system (GPS & AP) kept shutting down for up to 5 minutes. Eventually it didn't come back. He was a computer/electronics geek, but the system locked him out. His young son started pushing buttons and somehow happened onto the factory code. He did get the problem resolved with the help of a factory tech who flew in, but I don't remember the details. You might want to research that article.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

i think i remember that "article" which like all the paid advertising in PMY was a little light on useful facts... dont' think it had anything to do with the simrad AP though....
  4. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

I have told the potential installers that I don't wish the AP to be connected with anything else- I don't need to do "S" turns or square patterns or stay along a depth curve. I pick the destination and the AP steers a compass course- that's all I need and want. Like much of technology today the complexity of the system is orders of magnitude above what the average user needs in order to provide features most do not use. Technology is a tool- and when the tool is useful- use it. When it gets in the way it's certainly not useful.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

very wise. i have never felt the need to use any nav function beyond setting a heading for the leg i'm on.