Click for Mulder Click for Perko Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Walker

Should I avoid a Holland built 62 Striker??

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by craigsduc, May 7, 2010.

1. craigsduc

craigsduc New Member

We are still trying to find an exceptional high quality mid fourty to 60 ft sportfisher for sale at a reasonable price. I,ve elected to pass on 2 cycles Detroits for now and have looked at 46, 50, and 54 ft Bertrams, 43 ft Rivieras with Cummins 450s, and 52 to 55 hatteras mostly with detroits and some 3412 equipped boats. Recently looked at a 1987 Striker with 3000 hr 3406 Es. Liked the boat but have been warned by a few other brokers to stay clear of aluminum boats. They feel there is no longer a market for them due to the uncertainty of the lifespan. Opinions?? Also found a 2001 Riviera 43 with 450 Cummins ( 1700 hr ) back home to consider. I know they are not Bertrams or Hatteras but I feel it is a boat that can sell when we are done with it and wouldnt break the bank running it. 43 feels a bit on the small side but would probably get us by for a couple of seasons. I,m just concerned we buy it for 300 and are sitting on a can when a 54 Bertram or Hatteras comes by......and could have bought one for the 300! Help!!
  2. pbekker

pbekker New Member

from what shipyard is this dutch striker ???
  3. craigsduc

craigsduc New Member

I,m actually not certain. All I have been told is that is was built in Holland. It is a 62 footer listed with Holtshauser in Ft Lauderdale. Every other broker I have talked to told me to stay away from Aluminum boats unless I dont care about ever selling them! Unfortunate as it was a really nice boat with 3206s @ 3000 hrs and in nice overall condition @ mid 400s.
  4. pbekker

pbekker New Member

ok no problem

i just ask it because
    i know that heesen yacht made a lot of them in that time
    it is with what thet startet to built before they step over to the big boats

and those boats have a good qualty.

if it is up to me i take alu over fiberglass
  5. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

If the boat is built to Strike typical specs it will be built like a tank.....failure to look after electrics, zincs etc will degrade Aluminum, as it will degrade any boat.

I have a 70 ft Aluminum Stephens MY and would not trade it for an equal F/G model. also, I did not buy it with the concern of future sales ability. Have cruised it , Florida, Bahamas, Caribbean, Mexico, Alaska etc....does not leak or twist.
    No doubt others will have differing opinions as is expected.
  6. craigsduc

craigsduc New Member

Thanks you guys for the opinions. I did like the boat a lot but elected since to pass on it for our needs. We are actually in contract on a 1990 Bertram 50 SF with 860 Mans @ 500 original hrs. Smaller boat than the striker but simply felt better with FG and newer and a bit smaller.
  7. craigsduc

craigsduc New Member

Buying our first Bertram......1990 50 SF with mans

Looks like we will be in contract on a 1990 bertram 50 with 2003 Man 860s @ 500 original hours. Down galley, tower, beaut cond. had pursued a few 54s with Detroits but ultimately passed to get 4 cycles and a bit smaller. We felt a 50 would certainly meet our needs of a very safe and stout SF to fish/dive Fla and the Bahamas with our 5 year old daughter who loves Sportfishers.......and big ones at that. We had found a 2001 Riviera 43 w/o tower in CA but are planning on relocating to Florida soon to live where we should live.......near incredible waters to boat on and around. Found the Bertram on a 54 investigating trip and decided to go a bit smaller but newer with non detroits. As our last boat was a 41, the 50 seems to be a great step. The riviera was very clean but simply not a Bertram ( especially one built under Dicks control )! For nearly the same price, we opted for the Bertram. I read enough great posts from 50 owners that I decided to look for one and give up on a Cat powered 54 for now due to financial limitations. Maybe that will be our next boat. Anyway, we are thrilled buying what we perceive to be a extremely well built mid sized sportfisher .
  8. geriksen

geriksen Senior Member

Sounds like a great choice.
    That is pretty much my idea of the ideal boat in that size range.
  9. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Congrats

Congratulations, use it in health and ENJOY!!!
    there can be no better way to spend time with family.
    I suppose you now qualify for the THREAD: Betram Pictures:)
    Good luck!
  10. craigsduc

craigsduc New Member

So as to not jinx it, we will gladly post on the bertram pictures forum once we take delivery in a few weeks............god willing! Until then, we certainly are excited as we waited 5 years to do it.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

What's wrong with 2 strokes?

I've worked on Strikers and Roamers. Don't let alloy hulls scare you. Good stuff.
    I'm an old Bertram / DDC dawg. Can you fill us in on why you would turn down good ships because of 2 stroke engines?
    ,Ralph