Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Walker Click for Mulder

Ship's Log Software???

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by GFC, Jan 12, 2010.

1. GFC

GFC Senior Member

I'm looking for software that I can use on a computer that will give me what would be a typical ship's log.

I'd like it to be able to store data about the engines, the hull, spare parts inventory and part numbers, maintenance records, etc. I'd also like to be able to use it as a cruising log to make a record of cruises to include date/time started, destination, waypoints, specific notes about the trip, fuel consumption etc. Basically it would be a replacement for the ol' standby written log.

Have any of you used a software program such as this that you can recommend?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

IDEA Spectec can be customised to just about anything you want.
  3. Henning

Henning Senior Member

I've got my engineer researching this right now. It appears that several of the better ones have changed hands recently and cut their support and training to next to nothing.
  4. GFC

GFC Senior Member

Thanks to both of you for replying.

Henning, I look forward to your followup. Thanks.
  5. teamfrantic

teamfrantic New Member

There is a company in NZ currently preparing for market going a custom solution for Super Yacht Management. They will write custom modules for almost any requirement. Pretty slick user interface on the demo I saw recently.

If the demo is anything to go off they could become a big player in the Document Management and ISM market. When I saw it, it had full catalogues of Manuals, Schematics, Photos, and also Procedures and a nice 3D engineering model that you can click, rotate, and find manuals from.... Pretty cool stuff.

As they have not released it yet, PM me and I'll see if I can get a demo for you.
  6. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

Yacht Manager

I'm a Captain on a private yacht and was battling with the original maintenance log on the boat, so I went on a hunt for a software log. After a lot of searching, I signed up as a Beta tester back in August for Yacht Manager, by Oso Software. The author lives on a boat in La Paz and was developing the software for cruisers. I use the program daily while working on the 5 boats my boss owns. This program is the only one that has the capability of maintaining multiple logs, so that you can keep a separate log for the tender, if you like.
    During beta testing, many features were added that make Yacht Manager suitable for professional use. It's available as a trial download and can be found here:
    http://www.mvosonegro.com/YachtMgr.html
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

That is not completely true.

Spectec which started out as AMOS D and is now part of Idea was the original multi ship software I encountered.

It was so much geared to many vessels that I did not find it much use on a single yacht.
  8. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

K1W1,
    Thanks for the heads up on Spectec. That's one I didn't find when I was searching. Maybe should have added the qualifier "that I know of":eek:
    It's surprising (to me) that there isn't more software out there. I remember when The Cap'n was on floppy disk, that there was an inventory and maintenance log in it, but that has been dropped years ago. I spoke with the programmer at Rose Point Nav software at the Lauderdale and Miami shows, and he told me that he gets many inquiries about maintenance log software
  9. teamfrantic

teamfrantic New Member

I believe the new one I mentioned is more than capable of doing this also.

When I was shown it, one of its intended uses was for a yacht management company to have a copy that could access multiple yachts logs, manuals, etc so that the management company could report to the owners more easily.
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

There has recently been a flurry of companies some new to the business and some established players who are now moving away from Ship Mounted systems and having a server based system.

One of the established players Techman is just launching a paperless ISM System and full server based Inventory/Maintenance based system.

A local copy will be held onboard and it will be synchronized several times a day with the shorebased system, likewise any changes made at the shorebased end ( ISM Doc changes etc) will be added to the shipboard end when the sync takes place. This should allow for both ends to have up to date docs and records in almost realtime.

Access to it is granted like normal network access with a user name and password with the users divided into groups with various privileges.

I am doing a project now where we use a similar online hub based tracking ,log and document storage/retrieval system and find it a pretty powerful and useful tool.
  11. GFC

GFC Senior Member

K1W1, thanks for that information. It sounds like a much more complicated software setup than I would need or want to mess around with.

A knowledgeable person on here suggested (in a PM) an Excel workbook that could do all I'm looking for and I may end up doing that. I'm quite familiar with Excel and can get it to do many things for me.

I also took a look at the flash demo display of the software that teamfrantic mentioned. It looks good, and might do for my needs. The company offers a freebie 45 day demo trial period and I may take advantage of that.

FYI, the hull and equipment survey is being done on the boat today. I should know by tomorrow if there are any glaring deficiencies in the boat. Absent any of those we will be doing a sea trial on 4/2. At that time the surveyor will finish his survey and I'm also having an engine and mechanical survey done during the sea trial.

After I get the results of those surveys and oil samples this whole thing should take a couple of weeks to put together. They're taking my boat on trade and want to survey it. I'm sure of my boat so I don't expect any problems there.

I'll have my boat trucked across country and the new one brought out here. I'm having some equipment installed on the new one that should take a month or so and hopefully by mid-May I'll be able to use it. At that time I'll sign up for the 45 day trial on the software and input the info as I acquire spare parts and stock the boat.
  12. tquig

tquig Guest

yacht software

Try Marinewrong. The Inventory module is powerful. A 30 day trial is free.
    Full disclosure, I am the developer.
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I thought I would have a look at your software , an interesting aside to my Googling of your product name gave me this as hit No 2.

http://www.bestuninstalltool.com/Uninstall-marinewright-Basic.html
  14. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member