Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger Click for Delta

Shaft Zincs on 45 Cabo. Capt J

Discussion in 'Cabo Yacht' started by BillManthorne, Sep 21, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. BillManthorne

BillManthorne Member

Hi. Any reason not to put a set of shaft zincs on my 45 Cabo? I have the shaft brushes in the engine room but I'm putting new props on this winter and I don't want any potential electrolysis. Just curious if shaft zincs cause or increase cavitation burn potential. Thx
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, over zincing a boat is bad. It will cause corrosion also by creating more of a ground type scenario. As long as your brushes, bonding wires, and transom zinc are good, do not put shaft zincs on. Below is the best explanation of it I found online.

"Over zincing, putting too much zinc, on causes the opposite problem. It will reverse the flow of current in the other direction and actually cause corrosion. Over zincing is discernible when you find your props all covered with a coarse layer of zinc oxide. It will feel like sandpaper. This condition will reduce your boat's speed significantly and increase fuel consumption. I'll bet that statement got your attention!!!"
    http://www.yachtsurvey.com/corrosion.htm
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member