Click for Westport Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno

Shaft Seal Problems

Discussion in 'Props, Shafts & Seals' started by CaboFly, Apr 18, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Hey CaboFly - In your second picture I see a small sea valve that has a single clamp on the hose attaching to the valve. It's double clamped on the other end but appears single on the valve. If you cannot double clamp that I recommend getting a better clamp then those cheap worm drive style. I've had more of those break than I can count. T-bolt or similar clamps are much stronger and clamp more uniformly around the hose. But they are less forgiving on making sure you have the correct size as the clamp range is smaller.
  2. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Great pictures and great tutorial.
  3. CaboFly

CaboFly Member

I would also add the Socket is 2 3/8 12 pts. 3/4 drive. Shortened on both ends. And outside dia. Turned down. I am fortunate to have a father who is a retired machinist.

Attached Files:

4. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Very good presentation on your PSS project and super clean er. We replaced our PSS seals in Feb 2020 after removing a shaft to replace a strut bearing. The ss rotor faces were pitted and misting while running. All else looked good. There was sand in the bellows, not sure if that added to the the pitting? Assumed the sand was from docking in fairly shallow water with a sand bottom and not washed out by the raw water input on the stator. The bellows and carbon stator appeared ok. We discussed refacing the ss rotors and decided to replace all and not experiment. I did notice salt build-up around the carbon stator where it met the ss rotor, thinking if that enhances any corrosive pitting to do a freshwater washdown whenever sitting at the dock might help. Ours looked fairly aged, but do not know if original, if so they lasted 18 years, with 3340 hrs, not bad for a rotating water seal in that environment.