Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Delta Click for Perko

Shaft Drive or Sail Drive

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by Dhowdodger, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Dhowdodger

Dhowdodger New Member

More and more yachts are now being offered with saildrive, the advantages space wise is obvious.

Disadvantages, well cutting a large hole under the water line is never a good thing no mater what you fill it with, despite that inboard / outboard units have been popular on motor boats for quite some time now.

Are they as reliable as shaft drives ?

Any comments or horror stories, would you go for sail drive or stick to shaft ??
    Are Sail drive units as popular in the States as they are in Europe??
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I have had both saildrive and shafts that are leaking and consider it a maintenance issue. I would go for a nice boat in the first place and accept the drive the designer has put in there, since it is an integral part of the design.
  3. Dhowdodger

Dhowdodger New Member

Is it an integral part of the design, engine options not avialable from the likes of Halburg rassy, Milo or Najad yachts ?

Having only been on one yacht (sunfast 42) with saildrive i was impressed at the engine room space, but the operation left much to be desired, kicking in and out of gear. Ok that was a maintance issue, but how reliable are these units in the long term, one good net grab and she dies ?