Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Burger

Seeking a Seattle / Vancouver area captain

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by Cowger, Feb 3, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Cowger

Cowger Member

With retirement happening this year, my wife and I are starting to shop for a boat now, with the intention of eventually having it based in the Vancouver BC area. We're looking for something in the 70' range, and a captain will likely be a requirement (insurance, we'll be absentee owners, etc.)

I'm hoping to start a working relationship with a potential captain so that he/she can perhaps participate in the shopping process.

Any advice and/or PMs are welcome.

Thank you,
    Bryan
  2. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

Sounds like a good idea. If the captain will be based in Vancouver BC you may have to start talking to brokers, boat yards, current owners in that neck of the woods about candidates too. It is a small world.
    Sadly no luck here so far.
    Best of luck in your search.
  3. DGH

DGH New Member

Hi Bryan,

Congrats on the upcoming retirement!

I am a former captain, owned a yacht management company for several years, and am now a yacht broker based in Seattle, WA with strong industry contacts in BC, WA, CA, FL, and NE.

Your plans for captain/crew may be impacted by how you plan to flag the yacht, and there are some customs duty and tax considerations for keeping a boat in Canada. All important considerations as you go through the process. I would be happy to start an initial conversation and see where it goes.

Feel free to pm me for contact info.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

DGH sounds like a very good place to start along with the yards that build and repair boats in that size range. Also call marinas in the area that handle boats that size and talk with the dockmasters. A) There's a good chance they'll know someone, and B) it'll be your start in lining up a slip for when you get it. Good to hear someone developing a plan instead of just following a dream. Good luck.
    Btw DGH, welcome to YF. We don't have nearly enough members on the west coast and it'll be good to have another experienced contact there. Looking forward to reading your perspective on things.
  5. GPO

GPO Member

The Vancouver area is good for access to PNW cruising grounds. Many absentee owners base their boats here. There are some excellent marinas with service infrastructure conveniently located nearby.

I live on the mainland but chose a marina on Vancouver Island for my Riviera. So I’m an absentee owner, of sorts. Van Isle Marina located in Sidney is worth considering. Infrastructure is first class. Very well run. I refer to it as the “Four Seasons“ of marinas on the Canadian west coast. There are local service providers that cater to absentee owners.

Numerous 60-100’ American flagged yachts are moored at Van Isle Marina. A Nordhaven delivery captain told me they recommend this marina to owners wanting to base theirs in west coast Canadian waters. A number have done so.

A captain can make a lot of sense, depending upon your circumstances. Your experience, in the judgement of your insurer, will determine whether you will need one. If you don’t, you can consider outsourcing yacht management to the above mentioned providers.

Sounds like you’re doing your due diligence in a thoughtful manner. DGH raised some important considerations.

Boat shopping is great fun. Best of luck!
  6. Bill Collector

Bill Collector New Member

Bryan has not been seen since July 2020... I am a licensed 100 Ton Master in the Tacoma/Seattle area if anyone else is looking.