Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander

SeaRay vs. Viking, Hatteras, Bertram

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by VikHatBer, Nov 17, 2008.

1. localangler

localangler New Member

Making that statement about Sea Rays I guess you don't think that owners of custom sporties (a weaver if memory serves me right) would hire a crew that could make navigational errors. Oh like where did they put that jetty. And just for fun one day when it is blowing and you can't get out in the boat go test drive a Hyundai for fun. It might surprise you.

Attached Files:

2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Seeing that sportfish sitting on the bottom like that is a real shame. But it has better seaworthiness, it is sitting straight up instead of laying on it's side......I guess it's good against broaching......and the view of the beach you get in the tower is priceless.
  3. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Ocean View

Location, location, location. You could still get a good nights sleep on the flybridge I guess.

I would still take it over a Sea Ray any day, single clamps on water-line exhausts, no thanks Mr.Brunswick.

Fish
  4. localangler

localangler New Member

I've been fortunate enough to walk on the decks of some pretty nice sporties and a couple yachts (don't know what quality they were). I am in no way comparing the build of a sea ray to that of an older Bertram or most customs but not everyone can afford that. And if your idea of boating is a booze cruise around the harbor then you probably won't spend the money for what some perceive as not needed on a boat. While I personally will probably never own a sea ray or some other brands it is because of personal choices and I will not look down on somebody just because they have brand xyz. I know a gentleman who now rides around in his second Paul Mann with a good Capt. He started out in a Luhrs with a lower caliber Capt. Does that make him less of a person because he bought a smaller lower quality boat than what he has now while he was trying to figure things out?

The above is in no way meant to try and put myself on the level of many the men and women who spend a lifetime on the water. I know many of you will pour more water out of your shoes than I will fish on but it doesn't take a professional Capt. or crew to recognize quality.

edited to add last paragraph
  5. VikHatBer

VikHatBer New Member

Which boat emits a more potent exhaust - and has a quieter ride in a glass sea - a Sea Ray or a Viking, Hatt, or Bertram? Which boat is better for 'sunset cruises'? - Sea Ray

Which boat (or group of boats) is better for EVERYTHING else. Viking ,Hatt, Bertrams.... I would still prefer a high powered sport fish for a sunset cruise though...
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Except that your girl won't be able to get her mini-skirted butt up the ladder so you'll be up there alone showing off your driving skills. Don't worry though. I'll take care of things on deck for you.:D
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I would say that it is all it takes. It is only when you are using a tool you know if it is good or not. This does not mean everyone would make use of the best tools or boats, there are other things to consider as well. Like where and how often you use it, and if you like what you see...
  8. Mark I

Mark I Member

This is an entertaining discussion.

My personal opinion is that people make choices based on different reasons. SeaRays project a certain level of style if not substance. I know many fine people who own them who are not idiots.

On the flip side, there are alot of idiots on the water and there are alot of SeaRays too. I don't think the idiots who do own a SeaRay are so because of their boat choice. They just happen to be idiots.
  9. It is better to be cruising on a Sea Ray (Carver, Bayliner, insert name here), than standing on the beach watching the Bertram ( Viking, Davis, insert name here) that is too expensive for your budget, cruising by.
  10. Jorge Lang

Jorge Lang Senior Member

To add my two cents, it is all a matter of choice. be it a car, boat, or a home. People are people, good or bad, idiots or not. By the best your lifestyle permits, but know what you are doing. If you don't know ask, take a course, learn from a captain and be responsible. Of course, if you really want to chuckle, sit near the boat ramp at Matheson Hammock or Key Biscayne in South Florida on a weekend afternoon. You will see the good, the bad, and of course the idiots. They are not labeled by the boat they have, but by their actions or lack of.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

AMEN. I must differ with you on one thing though. The ramps up north in spring are much more entertaining after the winter layup. Lunacy x10. Your guys get to practice their screwups all year. :D
  12. VikHatBer

VikHatBer New Member

I don't believe in any boat - or I don't respect any boat - that puts style or form waaaay before function. Sea Ray is one of most egregious offenders of this rule, constantly producing boats with bows that practically dip into the water, spherical, "moon" bows, hardly any "V", and constantly applying lake or inland waterway construction standards to boats that are marketed and sold to people on an ocean.
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You seem bitter against Sea Ray. As for form/function it's normal business today that 1st comes profitability, then comes form (because if it's not appealing it won't sell), finally comes function because the people who consider function first buy a few expensive boats but most boats are bought by average Joes who just want to cruise the bays and hang at the dock with something that looks good. As for "practically dip" their bows, that's normal when you go into the trough. You need to speak to Neptune and ask for smaller waves. Reducing the "V" in the hull brings better stability. The hull design of the Sea Ray is common to many manufacturers and it rides pretty good
  14. VikHatBer

VikHatBer New Member

When I was talking about Sea Ray bows 'dipping' into the water, I was referring to the freeboard of the bow. Sea Ray bows are low for style, but whatever style that is, I think it's ug-lee! Also, certainly something I wouldn't want to ride across the Gulfstream.

Interesting article on how the market for quality mid-size yachts went to the bilge over the last 10 years...

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/boatreviews/HatterasINTRO.htm

I'll leave you guys' Sea Rays alone!
  15. localangler

localangler New Member

To some degree yes but the definition of a profesional is someone who gets paid to do a job. Not all profesionals would know quality if it jumped up and bit them where the good lord split them. And on the flip side of that not everyone who appreciates something of quality uses it professionally. I am not a professional mariner but have a good idea of what I am looking at when I look at boats. Now would I buy a boat with out a good survey absolutley not but I wouldn't need to take him with me to look at every boat because I can weed some of them out myself. I am not a sea ray type person and agree that I would be much happier on a sportie but to the poster who mentioned the mini-skirt not getting up the ladder that is why we have express boats. Well built fishing boats with out the ladder so that the Capt. isn't away from all the action (no matter what kind of action).
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

What you're referring to is not the freeboard as that is of average height. You're referring to the deck's downward slope toward the bow which is meant to help drain the deck, but (mainly) to increase cabin headroom. This is a style that I also don't like, but it's not uncommon.
    What I always recommend is bounce the boats you like off someone whose opinion you value to narrow the search, then start looking. When you find a boat you like bring an experienced captain along for the sea trial. While you're looking at (and the salesperson is directing your attention at) what is pleasing, he'll be looking for what you'll hate. If it passes that test, then it's time for the surveyor. Having the captain around for that can also be a good idea because he may be able to help interpret the surveyor's findings. I recently had a client who was promised that his motors would be warrantied for 10,000 hours. I put him back on the phone with the broker to ask how many years. The warranty amounted to 600 hrs. Not quite so impressive.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I too feel the Searay bow's are quite low on the new ones. However they do that for visibility when the boat is running since the Sea Gay's like to run bow high. The SeaRay simply is the chevy of boats, for most people they work out fine. If you're a hardcore fisherman and want to fish tournaments in 8' seas they're not going to work.......but then again size for size they're considerably cheaper then a new viking SF etc. etc.......... They're an average boat for the average person with average use. If you want a battlewagon buy a different boat....... I do dislike the fact that searay went to plastic seacocks in 2007.......instead of brass...... and feel that was a really cheap move.
  18. bevinb

bevinb New Member

One simple rule I try to live by is to never knock a man's boat. His choice in women maybe, perhaps even his choice of car or dog, but never his boat........... ;)