Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko Click for Comfort

Sea Shepherds sank Ady Gil

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by wscott52, Oct 7, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ArcanisX

ArcanisX Senior Member

On the contrary, dealt much with their sort, and developed one way to keep own mind and direction intact. :p
    Noone is a "conceptual bad guy", they all have their ideas and principles. But it's not who they are underneath, it's what they do that defines them (c).

And you're probably right, guess we can go about this forever :D
  2. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

I'm very sympathetic to the notion that there is a moral case to be made against whaling.

I'm very unsympathetic to anyone who can't get their facts right or be honest. It's an emotionally charged issue, Capt greybeards chronic inability to read and understand the IUCN list only serves to do damage, it serves no positive purpose to anyone but him.
  3. Ozzie

Ozzie Member

I'm surprised than no one has pointed out the following fact.
    That while Pete is on the aft deck giving an interview, someone at the helm has made it a point to put the boat in gear and accelerate toward the whaling boat. You can clearly see the sudden prop wash in any video showing the collision.

And my money is on who ever that was at the helm has now taken over as captain of the new boat in the following season. And all because he was following orders.
  4. Ocean

Ocean Member

"ADY GIL 2" is coming!:)
    The new 150-ft trimaran is rumoured under construction to replace old 75-ft "Ady Gil" lost in action.:eek:
    Whaling will be stopped, definitely and ultimately!:D

Attached Files:

• AG2.jpg
      AG2.jpg
      File size:
      35.7 KB
      Views:
  5. wscott52

wscott52 Senior Member

It was pointed out in an earlier thread. I had posted a photo montage of stills from the video taken on the bridge of the Shonan Maru showing the increasing prop wash at the stern of the Ady Gil. From what I could learn, the helm of the Ady Gil had very poor visibility and there was an inexperienced volunteer at the wheel. By the time he saw the Shonan Maru it was right on top of them and he panicked and hit the throttles without remembering to put it in reverse. Sea Shepherds have zero credibility with me so it's just as easy to believe the collision was intentional and planned. Without infiltrating the Sea Morons we'll probably never know for sure.

ps

I just checked and I apparently deleted the montage from my Photobucket account after the thread died.
  6. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

7. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

As someone posted earlier on this thread, there are not many points, angles or opinions that have not been covered here. So here we go.........again.

LUCKILY! In this society, whether it is the US, Australia or Europe etc. people can have and do have different viewpoints on just about everything.
    When it comes to highly emotional, economic or political views that may affect our lives then it gets nasty.

My point:
    one persons "madman" is another’s pioneer.
    Calling Watson mad might make you feel better or superior but to many he is not.
    He has achieved a lot more than Greenpeace in bringing attention to his cause, which may not be comfortable for many, but he has succeeded, the proof is in threads like this, and of course the fact that the whalers are in retreat and will lose due to him, not Greenpeace. Maybe then Watson will find the next cause. Hopefully in regards to overfishing.
    Yes, I know that there are other 'better" causes, always will be, maybe saving jobs, fish species like tuna etc. but here is an example of one person’s effort working on his passion, and like his tactics it or not, it is impacting DIRECTLY on the whaling industry.
    Madman? I don't think so.
    Ralph Nader was called "mad" and derided too.
    I could mention many others who were labelled as terrorists, traitors or fools that history now remembers as revolutionaries, freedom fighters and geniuses. Check your US dollar notes to find some.
    What a shame there are not more "mad" Watsons, stopping the carnage of the new economies of China etc. who are destroying whole swathes of African and Asian forests and rivers. They have destroyed much of Indonesia and Malaysia and the surrounding seas are being fished barren.
    BTW, I eat meat, fish, and run Detroits, so I am hardly a green. Just could not carry on reading constant attacks on someone who is DOING rather than watching or being a victim. He maybe an eccentric, but he commands respect enough from his adversaries that they have set aside many millions of dollars to stave off his successful campaign. He is welcome at my home any day, I just have to hide the fishing rods.
  8. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Any "captain" who puts his crews life in jeopardy for a "cause" is a madman and has no place in the proper protest of anything, soon they will excuse shooting and heavens knows what else.
    Protest is everyone's right, as is stupidity as he proven.
  9. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

Good rebuttal Kafue.

But do we know wether SS is inpacting the hunt for whales. I believe they have 2 ships at a time in the Southern Ocean chasing one whaler. There's over 30 whaling ships in the Innoshima port during the off-season.

Will Japanese ever give in to SS? Will the Japanese ever give up face because of SS or will they employ more boats.The hunt is mainly funded by the government so their budget outstretches SS budget.

I do like the romantic idea of the lone gunman fighting organised crime but I do believe that the habit of whale meat consumption is dying a slow death anyway.

I completely agree on the fact that China is cleaning out Asian waters. There's no 'green' strategies in China. They are still a bit to low in the Maslov Pyramid. This overfishing will have devastating effects on the oceans but I believe education will provide a more sustainable effect in peoples decision making than provocate the Chinese fishing industry and the Chinese Government.
  10. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

I really like the way these SS or GP protest in safe areas only, why, they may get shot at or injured if they go somewhere that may not be so tolerant of their misplaced aggression. Of course, press and TV coverage makes them real heroes
    and then they can get bigger faster toys and have access to gobs of money, the man would be a dictator given the opportunity and indeed has the makeup to practice genocide given the opportunity.

Watson feels that "no human community should be larger than 20,000 people," human populations need to be reduced radically to "fewer than one billion," and only those who are "completely dedicated to the responsibility" of caring for the biosphere should have children, which is a "very small percentage of humans." He likens humankind to a virus, the biosphere needs to get cured from with a "radical and invasive approach," as from cancer.[21]
    In January 2008 Paul Watson was named by The Guardian as one of its "50 people who could save the planet" for the work of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society.[22]
    [edit]Writings on activism
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  11. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

As said before, it just goes on in a circle of SS being run by a bad Captain and risking lives etc. etc. versus a fleet of government backed whalers.
    Dennis: Watson was and will be in the thick of things and your research would show this, if you bothered to look.
    As for genocide ....... what nonsense, next we will be back on politics.
    I tried hard to stay out of this thread because of exactly this kind of “discussion”!
    Have your opinions dennis, they are your right, as are mine.
    Pity yours are based on having no one disagreeing. Seriously, bringing up genocide, dictators etc. come on!

BTW tirekicker, the Japanese whaling fleet has not been able to meet their “research” quota for the last 2 years, only because of Sea shepherd.
    I respect your opinion and think I will now bail out of this thread as it will go nowhere useful.
  12. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

So, a person who likens humankind to a virus and feels the worlds population should be reduced by 1 billion, is not a threat ??
    Time to face reality or perhaps the magic of these zealots has an attraction to some.
  13. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

At least "Ady Gil 2" is beautiful.
  14. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

The replacement for the ady gil was severely damaged by a wave on the 28th.

Also they appear to have loaded 3 australians onto a whaler.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012