Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder

Scam Alert

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by aeronautic1, Nov 14, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Member

SCAM ALERT- SCAM ALERT- SCAM ALERT-SCAM ALERT

Yesterday, I received the following unsolicited email from a Capt. Johnson Smith with a job offer. This scammer is trolling the crew websites, like The Triton (as indicated below), and trying to lure unsuspecting crewmembers with fake job offers. The following are the emails associated with this scam:

Dear Sir,

My name is Capt. Johnson Smith, 40 Years Old from United Kingdom. I
    work with Kay's Yacht Club in United Kingdom. I came across your
    profile on and decided to mail to ask if you'll be interested in the
    job.
    Its a private own yacht, and the destination is always from Essex
    London to Ireland and Norway.
    The monthly salary will be 3, 200 sterling pound every three weeks,
    accommodation will be provided by the company.

Hope to hear from you soonest

Best Regards
    Capt. Johnson

In the email header I found that IP address 10.140.161.19 is listed as a “private” IP address; kind of like an unlisted phone number. I gave “Capt. Johnson” a rather vague reply, suspecting a scam, and this was his response:

Dear Sir,
    Are you interested or not. I found your profile at Triton website.
    Best Regards
    Capt Johnson Smith

Still suspicious, because of the IP address, I requested information on the vessel, manufacturer, size, name, doc number et al, and a photo of the yacht included with the next email provided was in tropical waters, not UK waters:

Dear Sir,

Thank you once more for your mail and your interest in working with
    us .I have attached photo of the yacht we are operating on. The home
    port is at London and the destination is always from Essex London to
    Ireland Belgium and Norway. And lastly accommodation will be provided
    to you both on board and when you are not on board.
    If you are not in United Kingdom you will require a valid UK visa
    including a working permit to enable you work with us.
    You can contact the traveling agency to help you with the process of
    the UK visa and working permit.
    Here is the link to the traveling agent
    (agencypassportconsultant@consultant.com). Contact them and let them
    know that you've been offer a job with Kay's Yacht located at Essex
    London United to come and work.

Should in case you need any other thing please do not hesitate to ask

Hope to hear from you again

Best Regards
    Capt Johnson Smith

Wanting to further my investigation, I forwarded Capt. Johnson’s email to the “passport agency” and received the following:

Dear Sir,
    We wish to thank you for your mail, you information are acknowledge and recorded. To have your complete document including your work permit and tax clearance and all other requirement to travel to United Kingdom.
    Its indicated in your email that you have been offer a job with kays yacht club who ask you to contact us. We shall have its processed and send it to you via Courier Delivery Service to the UK embassy in your country.
    They will contact you immediately for a brief interview.

We need some more details from you for us to process your visa,work permit and tax clearance. The details needed are as follows:

1. Full Name:

2. Full Address:

3. Valid Passport with at least sex (6) months validity

4. Two (2) recent passport photo , size 2x2

5. Country of Birth:

6. Telephone number:

Thanks for your anticipated patronage and co-operation.
    P.R. O PASSPORT AGENCY & CO OFFICE
    Plumstead England Se18 1ad

E-mail: agencypassportconsultant@consultant.com

The IP address for the passport agency is 41.219.192.58 which is registered to a “dial-pool” in Lagos Nigeria. I also ran the email address thru the www.fraudwatchers.org website which further confirmed my suspicions.

I asked the passport agency for a physical address to send the requested information and their reply was:

Dear Sir,
    We are in receipt of your mail dated Friday, 14 Nov 2008. We want to inform you that sending of your passport and other information by courier service involve risk, and please note that the company is not responsible for any lost documents.
    We advise you scan your passport data page, passport photo and send it by e-mail attachment.
    Once we recieved your document and the total amount of £ 850.00 for the process of your Uk visa and working permit. This money involve the processing of your document including the flight ticket and all other related document as well.
    You will have to apply for a single entry UK visa, since this is your first time of traveling to United Kingdom.

All Documents will be processed and arranged here in our Office after which will be forwarded to the British Embassy along with your Flight Ticket. Also, some Copies of this Document(s) will be sent to you...

You can make payment to us by western union money transfer or international money gram so as to speed up the process of delivery . Contact the nearest western union location and make payment to the information below:

Name of Receiver: Harrison David
    Adress of Receiver: 68 Lombard Street London, EC3V 9LJ United Kingdom,

Total Payment........................ .................... £ 850.00 Pounds

Upon receipt of the above,modalities to process your traveling document will commence immediately.We want you to note that processing of your traveling document will only take three(3) working days and the delivery of it will take just one day(Express Delivery).

Once again,congratulations and please do comply in due time to enable us expedite action.

Thanking you for your anticipated co-operation as we hope to hear from you soonest.

Yours Faithfully

How can you determine if a job offer is legitimate?

1. First, look for misspellings and bad grammar in the body of their email.
    2. If a passport agency or recruitment agency has a yahoo, googlemail, consultant.com (in this instance) and not a dedicated mail server, it is most likely a scam.
    3. In the header of the email, look for Replied From for the IP address. You can go to http://www.ip2location.com/demo.aspx. Cut and paste the IP address into the search window and the location of the IP address will be exposed. Note: this is the FREE service.
    4. Do not scan and email your passport, personal data or passport photos. Demand a physical address with offer of FedEx the requested information. Most likely, they will request you to scam and email your data. And if a physical address is proffered, match it to the IP location to insure it is a match.
    5. Never EVER send money to an agency. If a company asks for “processing fees, document fees;” it is a scam. These scam artists like to use Western Union, which is a tip-off.

Captain – Fort Lauderdale
  2. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Almost *anything* under God's green earth that requires you to send money via Western Union .....wait for it..... IS A SCAM.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

the first few lines of the first email are enough to know that this was a scam... i can't understand how anyone would fall for it.
  4. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Member

Didn't fall for it

Just alerting the masses to this scam. We all know that yacht captains are not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Kidding!!:rolleyes:
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

It sounds like your bell has really been rung by your Opposition.

I don't think I have ever seen a longer and more specific claim to ya wonga to date.
  6. VikHatBer

VikHatBer New Member

Scams come in all shapes and sizes.... doesn't surprise me.
  7. Gareth

Gareth New Member

Thanks for the alert and I'm impressed by your due diligence.
  8. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

9. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Member

This clown is a yacht captain...

... who has bilked a couple of my former clients.

Cemetery embezzler sentenced
    Deffenbaugh gets 15 years, suspended
    Friday, Sept. 26, 2008
    By CAROL HARVAT

Staff writer

The former Southern Memorial Gardens owner, who swindled 551 people out of goods and services they paid for, was sentenced Wednesday, and a $1 million promissory note was signed over to a trust fund to see that the victims will receive what they paid for from the cemetery's new owner.

In the Calvert County Circuit Court, 57-year-old Larry Deffenbaugh was sentenced to 15 years, but all were suspended, and he was given five years of supervised probation by visiting Judge William Missouri, chief circuit court judge from Upper Marlboro.

Missouri explained to the packed courtroom of victims that he was bound by a commitment made by visiting Judge E. Allen Sheppard, now deceased, who said he would follow the lower end of sentencing guidelines which suspends all jail time if all the victims received what they had been originally promised prior to sentencing. Since Deffenbaugh signed over money earned from the sale of the cemetery, this fulfilled his obligation, Missouri said.

The original $1 million mortgage promissory note for the sale of the cemetery was signed over to a cemetery trust fund prior to sentencing. An earlier court injunction ordered the new owner Danny Martin to make $6,000 a month in payments to the court instead of Deffenbaugh, which accumulated to more than $158,000.

On June 11, Deffenbaugh entered an Alford plea to a count of theft over $500 for two indictments that included numerous theft charges, embezzlement and conspiracy. In an Alford plea the defendant agrees the state can prove charges, but does not admit guilt.

Missouri said his philosophy is different than Sheppard's.

"I would have maxed you out," he said of Deffenbaugh's sentence. "I have been a judge for 24 years, and this is the first time I have seen this many victims in a case."

While Deffenbaugh owned the cemetery, he was supposed to purchase or place money given by people for services and merchandise, such as memorial statues, headstones, bronze plates and prepaid cremation costs in a trust fund. No money was placed in a trust fund in 2004 and 2005, according to court records. He also sent memos asking that trust accounts be released to the business's general funds, claiming people had died when they had not, and defrauded customers when they paid for lined waterproof vaults, which were instead painted to look like they were lined, court records state.

What disturbed Missouri about the case was Deffenbaugh refusing to acknowledge that he had done anything wrong, he said.

Deffenbaugh's attorney, Robert Harvey Jr. of Prince Frederick, told the court that Deffenbaugh fulfilled his obligations to the court by paying restitution as required and he has no prior criminal record. He asked for unsupervised probation so he could reside in Virginia.

Assistant State's Attorney Kathryn Marsh said that Deffenbaugh never gave the court the address of his residence while he was in Florida or Virginia, so she asked for supervised probation and a sentence of 15 years with all but five suspended.

Missouri agreed that Deffenbaugh needs to reside in Maryland for his supervised probation until an interstate compact is done, which puts him on supervised probation in his state of residency.

Harvey asked if Deffenbaugh could leave the state for work, and Missouri responded, "He can't leave Maryland, period." He will be placed under arrest if he leaves the state, he added.

Deffenbaugh called it an accounting problem or a paper case, Marsh said.

"This crime is a violation of a belief system of these individuals," Marsh said.

Deffenbaugh's daughter, Stacey Campbell, who was the treasurer and vice president of the cemetery for just over a year, was scheduled to be sentenced for her plea of conspiracy, but Missouri suspended sentencing her, giving her 24 months of unsupervised probation. Missouri said that he thought she was caught up in the ordeal because of who she was and where she worked.

"It's been the worst experience of my life," Campbell said. Campbell provided the state with evidence in the case.
  10. vicky

vicky New Member

other scam alert

Until now I receive 8 job offer from M/Y PRINCESS MARIANA ,all are the same ,only the captain name is different.
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi, There might hsve been a big turnover in Captans on there I know at least 1 of them.

Did you ever respond to these offers to see what it was really about?
  12. vicky

vicky New Member

Hi
    ,,,,My name is Capt.Brian Hunt, 38 Years Old from United Kingdom,I work with PRINCESS MARIANA - Luxury Motor Yacht in United Kingdom.
    We are seeking applicants to work on the New Year-round UNITED KINGDOM flagged Passenger ship, Its a private own yacht.
    The monthly salary will be £7,500 pound sterling every three weeks, accommodation will be provided by the company.
    Please contact urgent to know you preferred post so we can get to fix you with one of our Mariana Yacht.
    Hope to hear from you soonest,
    Best Regards Capt.
    Brian Hunt.''''''''

This is one of them ,I contact all of them ,but is not too much 8 captains on the same yacht in 2 weeks?
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You didn't say that you got all these in a two week period.

Also if that is a direct copy of the e mail you received should be a give away in itself owing to the bad English.

I will see if I can help you out here. I will PM you my E Mail address, please send me these e mails by forwarding them complete with all headers and I will see if I can trace any back to the boat through their ISP.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

This is all rather strange as the Princess Mariana is a real 256' yacht and a rather beautiful one at that from her pics. In 2005 her captain was a Brian Thorn per the Triton Jan. 2005.
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I just received notice of a post that hasn't seemed to make it onto the thread yet and hopefully won't. It sounded suspicious so I Googled the company and found this front & center:

16. CaptNeil

CaptNeil Member

How do they get your email? I get these all the time?:mad:

Dear Crew,

I am Capt. Scott Bright from United Kingdom, I am recently working with PRINCESS LUCIA-Luxury Motor Yacht here in United Kingdom.We are seeking applicants to work on the new year-round UNITED KINGDOM flagged Passenger ship. Its a private own yacht, The monthly salary will be 3,500 sterling pound every three weeks, accommodation will be provided by the company. e-mail me and get back to me with a copy of your C.V/ Resume if interested Hope to hear from you soonest.

Best Regards,
    Capt Scott Bright
    PRINCESS LUCIA-Luxury Motor Yacht
    201-203 Regent Street
    London W1R 7DD
    United Kingdom.
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Phishing. You need to upgrade your junk mail and firewall settings, and don't answer any of them or you're really on the list. When one gets through immediately put it on your blocked senders list.
  18. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

This is almost exactly the same format I wrote about earlier today and my post was removed for some reason. (Any reasons for this Mods?)

The yacht name has changed - Check the Dockwalk for details of a boat name that has been used a lot for these scams, they will start by asking you for money for a UK Seamans Visa- such a thing doesn't exist.
  19. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

20. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member