Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn

Sailing Yacht Question

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by Newflyer, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Newflyer

Newflyer New Member

Alright, so it's a kind of sling, great, thanks for your help folks!
  2. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Well if u want to put it like that, i knew what it was from seeing it, just i didnt know thats what it was called!...its a good invention though...surely you dont want to be rolling out of bed like that:eek:
  3. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Hammocks are highly conducive to the "sleep of the just" while under way or even at anchor.
  4. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Ref.: post #20, apologies to Dhowdodger for missing his earlier mention of leecloths.
    Along with my half-heimers, my eyeballs are failing me.
    Absolute heck to get old!:)
  5. Dhowdodger

Dhowdodger New Member

aaaarrh, i anit never seen a night like it, and im not looking foward to the journey home either:D
  6. Mirabella V

Mirabella V New Member

As others have mentioned, the crew on MV as well as other large sailing yachts are well drilled in preparing for sailing activity, everything gets tied down or secured. That includes the storage areas, galley, guest cabins.

12 degrees may not seem like much but when you have a beam of 50ft it does make it challenging to walk around. But this is where sail boats (yet again) prove themselves to be more technically difficult to design/build/operate than MoBos. They are actually designed to operate safely at an angle. I think if you watch our video you will see people walking around on the aft sundeck while sailing. I won't pretend that it's as comfortable as running flat, but it's fun and nothing to be scared about.

Having said that at 15 degrees MV's sail controls sound a warning, and at 20 degrees the computers overide the sail controls and the sheets are released until the heel comes under 20. This is an MCA requirement, but having now experienced her sailing we agree that it makes sense. She's plenty of fun before you get to that stage. I think MF may heel more than MV, but I am not sure. Don't forget that while the heel may be marginally uncomfrotable the general stability of the boat is better than in a MoBo (without stabilizers).